BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Not really sure why you think that, the are the same length:

And I'm sorry, Joe Blow muffler shop does not have the R&D and experience of Supersprint, plain and simple.
ah, for some reason i have memory of it saying 'front kit, for stock kat' or something... i must have read it wrong.

though really, i guess asking them in email would be the best solution

but then you have to think.. that's 272 GBP ($427 USD) plus about $100 post, so $527... plus $50 or so install, so we're getting really close to $600 for just the front pipes

which i'll say again, DON'T need per-car RnD to get the best out of.. it's a piece of metal with a single mandrel bend.. you could literally get a full stainless setup custom made for $600, plus mufflers (and cats if you want) and header.. mufflers are a couple hundreds for something decent so...

ill say again, i could get the best performance shop in the city to custom make me a titanium exhaust, and probably even a 1-off set of catless headers for the same price as supersprints setup.. or well.. less lol

and 'joe blow exhaust' may not.. but the most reputable performance exhaust places in my city would... heck.. some of the ones i'd like to go to have been around for at least as long as supersprint (some in various forms/names albeit)

you realize that anything besides mufflers and headers don't really require RnD?

and again, another issue i have with SS setup is it sounds like ass, super raspy.. like getting the stock setup, removing the rumble that makes it decent, and making it sound breathy and raspy... most of the 330i and 328i straight pipes i've heard have a lot of rasp, but they roar up high, supersprint somehow just doesn't sound even a litle nice

ED: on a related note: e90 post, search 'titanium exhaust' and a result comes up from 2007, can't find much on it other than that it's $4k almost, but the note is pure sex and the whole thing weighs 15lbs. same company has apparently done E46 and other models, but no where appears to ever have actually sold it. workmanship looks 10/10 too, plus looking sexy as titanium does lol.

Last edited by flinchy; 07-29-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Midpipes do matter. Mids for the e46 M3, for example, cause a torque gain/loss range of ~80 ft lbs at mid/low RPM and +-50 hp at high rpm.

Titanium exhaust, especially for headers, is short sighted. They all crack given real world use.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #25
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban
Midpipes do matter. Mids for the e46 M3, for example, cause a torque gain/loss range of ~80 ft lbs at mid/low RPM and +-50 hp at high rpm.

Titanium exhaust, especially for headers, is short sighted. They all crack given real world use.
Links to that? Everything i can find says they dump heat faster and for similar thicknesses they are heaps stronger

I mean, have you ever heard of an akra cracking? Theyre full titanium

Ed: i went to another custom shop yesterday arvo, nicest guy, has done a few turbo bmw's, not afraid to have a go, looks like i'll be in around the $1k mark for everything i want, custom muffler etc.
Appreciate 0