BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #1
StuMo72
Rep
Drives: 125i E82, Mk7 Gti, 205 Gti

N52 New waterpump failure?

I recently changed my Electric Waterpump on my N52. Thew new Pierburg pump, has been in the car for 3 or 400 miles.
The other day I got the implauseable pump speed error code.
I reset it and I have done 50 or 60 miles in it since with no issue.

I was changing the sump gasket on the car anyway so I decided to check the waterpump. I drained the coolant, which was immaculate as you would expect being only 3 or 400 miles old. There are no apparent contaminates or debris etc.
When I try to turn the waterpump blades (its still in the car with the front hose off so access isnt the best) they feel too tight to turn. Tight enough I would be worried about the blades breaking if I forced it.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is the new pump knackered?

Any idea how should I proceed?

If it was a cheap part I would chuck another one in, but its not. But then I dont want to risk the engine either.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #2
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

I'm not sure if an electric pump impeller would spin freely or not. It would make sense that it would but I've never tried.

Is there a parts warranty on the new pump from where you purchased it? If there is, swap the new pump with another new pump and see what happens. If not, keep an eye on it and keep driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #3
StuMo72
Rep

I've got the part off and I still have the old one. I suspected the old one was faulty because it is tight to turn, but the new one is even tighter.
So as you say I am not sure if its by design or not.

The supplying company are being a bit awkward although I do intend to return it but can't afford to wait. So I may end up buying another one to be safe.

I would really like to know if anyone else has ever been able to turn one by hand after it has been installed.
Appreciate 1
GabeMG7.50
      05-20-2022, 05:12 AM   #4
StuMo72
Rep

Just a quick update......

I ordered a new pump and its arrived and I am now convinced the other one was faulty from new. This one turns with virtually no resistance to my finger whereas the last one I remember I had to push quite hard to get it to turn, almost to the point where I was frightend I would break the blades (both compared as out the box).

hopefully it was just a freak out the box failure!
Appreciate 1
GabeMG7.50
      05-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
GabeMG
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMo72 View Post

I ordered a new pump and its arrived and I am now convinced the other one was faulty from new. This one turns with virtually no resistance to my finger whereas the last one I remember I had to push quite hard to get it to turn, almost to the point where I was frightend I would break the blades (both compared as out the box).

Good catch OP! That could have been costly…
I just ordered that very waterpump from ECS. I'll make sure the impeller spins freely being installing
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #6
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeMG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMo72 View Post

Good catch OP! That could have been costly…
I just ordered that very waterpump from ECS. I'll make sure the impeller spins freely being installing
Keep in mind that the pump seals should not be allows to dry out. Not shire if that was your problem, just remember the warning labels on mine.
Appreciate 0