BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
diargon
Rep
Drives: 09 E82 135i, 21 Model Y Perf

Lightbulb Planning for an S65 Swap / 1M Clone

Hey y'all! 2022 is the year I'm starting the journey to an S65 swapped 6MT 1 series with the flared fenders and all. My goal is to get something that feels OEM.

My goal is to have it complete by the end of next year and hopefully by the last month or two of Summer 2022. I have the time & cash, just need some luck and patience to make it

Making a detailed plan has been pretty tedious so far since there is little out there in terms of what needs to be done for a full swap. I'm planning on starting with an E82 chassis (coupe, 6mt -- already have one) and a torn up E9x M3.

Anyone here been through this before? What should I be expected in terms of of workload?

My current understanding is that I'll essentially have to replace these parts with the M3 parts:
- engine
- electronics
- suspension (rear + front)
- transmission
- gauge cluster

I'm planning on getting these things custom made or aftermarket:
- exhaust
- fenders (1M clone)
- drive shaft
- steering wheel
- interior
- roll cage
- hood

The pieces I'm unfamiliar with or totally in the dark on are these:
- fuel system
- ac compressor
- radiator
- heat shields
- transmission mounting/placement (is this also plug n play?)
- abs / traction control (i think this is plug n play)
- any wires/pipes passing the fire wall. can any of these stay?
- pedal box. since I'm starting with a 6mt, do I have to tear this out entirely?
- m button, edc, etc. this will partially depend on the m3 I end up finding.

If anyone has any advice, experience, or knowledge of these pieces would really love your input

I'm expecting to essentially tear the E82 down to the chassis and build back up from there... but I'm anxious about the wiring work.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Yeah so yeah. You essentially need an entire M3 to do it right. It's far, far more granular than you've documented here so far. "Electronics" isn't a whole thing, you need to mix and match M3 modules and 135 modules, wires, buttons, relays, connectors, coding, etc.

To answer your questions at a high level:

-Fuel System: M3 everything except tank, including fuel pump module
-AC Compressor: M3
-Radiator: M3
-Heat Shields: Mix and match 135 and M3
-Trans Mount: M3, plug and play
-ABS/DSC: M3, including the accelerometer under the driver's seat
-Firewall Penetrations: All M3
-Pedal Box: same thing between the cars but the throttle needs to come from the M3.
-M Button, DSC button, EDC, etc: These types of things are the hard part. If you don't know the answers to these or know how to figure it out this swap is going to be very hard.

There are 100 other things you haven't though of yet. Pre planning the whole project is basically impossible, you need to get the two cars in front of you and start going through every single detail of them and figuring out how they blend together.

It's not rocket surgery, but it is A LOT of things to figure out.

I need to move my build thread over here but if you Google my username and "M1.5" I think I have the most detailed build thread on the internet so far.

Last edited by amg6975; 01-05-2022 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0