BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Noeone
Rep
Drives: 2009 128I Sports Package

Steering wheel hub adapter?

I got a Vertex steering wheel as a birthday gift from my girl. Wanted to see if anyone has or knows of a adapter to use to be able to make it work. All the control buttons on the wheel don't matter, I barely use them other than just volume but that's a simple fix *turn knob* lol. Just wanna know if anyone else runs a hub on here, and where did you get it. Doesn't have to be a be quick release or if it is that's fine. Just wanna know if there's something out there for it, or else i might just run it on my G35.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

To answer your question, 5 seconds of Google with the phrase "bmw steering hub adaptor" will go far. But consider the below:

I used to drive a completely stripped track car on the street with no airbags, cage, or harness. It was fun, but in hindsight it was very stupid and I was also lucky not to die. So I know that my advice won't stop you, but here it is anyway:

Keep in mind you'll be totally boned in the event of a head on collision. It's more of a problem than it sounds like. You probably think you're in control of your destiny behind the wheel, but think about it: you probably drive tired, distracted, angry, or even intoxicated from time to time. That's just you...think about situations you have no control over like mechanical failure or other drivers doing something like coming into your lane on narrow roads forcing you at best to run off the road and maybe hit something stationary. If you think none of these situations apply...you're not thinking.

To safely use a quick release wheel without an airbag, you need a full cage, helmet, harness and HANS. Obviously that is not a practical situation for a street car--not to mention expensive--and if you don't use those in a car without an airbag you're gambling with your life to a much higher extent than necessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Noeone
Rep
Drives: 2009 128I Sports Package

I did google it,and it came up with a few different styles. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with any on here and had recommendations. Also thanks for the heads up on safety and what not. I do understand the risk, but the plan with the car is to have it ready for track. Its not my DD, its my fun car.
Appreciate 0