BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Catguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT M-Sport

Help! Conflict between headlight washer and PPK radiator

Hello, all,

I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has already encountered a problem I've had for a while on my 2011 135i. I've installed both the full Performance Power Kit (including the extra radiator along with the engine software upgrade) and the Performance front bumper on the car. The PPK was installed first, by the dealer, and the bumper was subsequently installed by the independent body shop that I use.

After the bumper was installed, I noticed that the top cover panel attached to the headlight washer on the driver's side was no longer lying flush on the surface of the bumper, but was up by 1/4" or so. When I questioned the body shop owner, he said that the supplemental radiator from the PPK mounted on the driver's side of the bumper prevented the washer unit itself from being installed at its previous correct height. This shop is quite good--it's as much a restoration shop as it is a collision repair shop--and I was willing to take the owner at his word when he told me that he had done everything he could to try to get the washer unit down to its proper mounting height so the panel would lay flush. The actual installation took place a while ago, and I honestly don't remember if the washer cover was in its proper location when the dealer installed the PPK with the original bumper. I hesitate to take the car to the dealer's body shop because I've heard some bad reports about their work.

For a while now, I've lived with this admittedly minor aesthetic glitch, but I've finally had enough and have decided to do something about it. I plan to take the car to an entirely different body shop that has been recommended by the independent mechanic I use and trust, to see if they can do anything with it. But first, I wanted to see if anyone has encountered the same problem and if so, I'd appreciate suggestions for resolving it, or advice that I can pass on to the body shop. Thanks very much in advance!

Catguy
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I have the PPK cooler and my headlight washers still fit flush.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Same here. I have a regular 135i and had the PPK2 installed with the extra radiator. No issues with my headlight washer nozzle caps being flush with the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I have neither the PPK2 or the extra radiator, but I have a suggestion. Have the headlight washer system deleted. This involves the removal of the reservoir, the pump and the lines. The nozzle caps will then lay flush.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
Catguy
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the responses. MightyMouseTech and zx10guy, you're confirming my suspicion that the headlight washer really should fit flush even with the extra radiator, and the body shop guy was giving me a line. One last question: do either of your cars have the Performance front bumper?

Catguy
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Mine is just the stock bumper cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sounds like the perf bumper may be sitting a little lower than the stock cover. I can't really believe that the extra radiator would at all impact the nozzle since they are self-contained units. The entire nozzle mechanism would have to be hitting the radiator somehow, which would mean either the nozzle, rad, or bumper wasn't installed correctly.

If you look at this pic, the supplemental rads are way off to the side, where the silver bracket is on the drivers side. The nozzles mount to the bumper bar

20170412_143744 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

This is what the washer unit looks like (upside down in this pic, green nipple is where the fluid goes in from the bottom):

The head pops out of the main body like a sprinkler, so the whole thing would need to be pushed up from the bottom for it to not sit flush.

Additionally, there should be about a 1/4 of "tension" room for the head to be held back so the cover forms to the body of the car, further ensuring it's fitment.

In other words, somebody messed up the install, I actually think it'd be the BMW shop here since if the perf bumper wasn't installed correctly you'd notice some gaps/sagging.

It would be really beneficial to post some pics.
      07-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
Catguy
Registered
Rep

Matticus, thanks! Yes, I'll try to get some photos posted this weekend.

Catguy
Appreciate 0