BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

ABS lights still on after wheel speed sensor replacement

Hello, so as I was driving home from work my car threw up all of the ABS lights then about 2 minutes later they all disappeared. The next day all of the lights were on as soon I started the car. I figured it was one of the wheel speed sensors and as I was driving the car started to slow itself down. On my way back from work ever light on the dash came on the speedometer dropped to zero. So I plugged this very basic code reader I had into the car and it told me it was the right rear sensor. I replaced the sensor but this time I put two washers in between. Also, the service engine light comes on and when I clear the rear speed sensor code it disappears. The lights haven't gone away but the speed sensor issue is fixed? I am not too sure what I should do I hope it isn't the DSC control module. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you!

So far I have tried
-Recalibration of the Steering Wheel
-Wheel Speed Sensor change
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Why two washers? Is the extra washer interfering with the contact the sensor needs to send data?

Recently I helped a friend pick up a 99 Bently Arnage. On the way back, at nigh, in nowhereland Kansas the cruise control stopped, and the speedo went to zero. Then I noticed the odometer wasn't moving. Turns out it was the left front ABS sensor wire disintegrated. The sensor was only $225 at the Bentley dealer. Since all the mechanicals are BMW we probably could have gotten a BMW part for half if we knew which part would be interchangeable.
      01-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Use a better scan tool.

The car isn't going to slow itself because a wheel speed is reading wrong.
You have something else going on.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Use a better scan tool.

Quote:
Use a better scan tool.

I thought that it happens when one speed sensor is reading a different speed then the others and it makes the car feel like it has lost traction?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer128i View Post
I thought that it happens when one speed sensor is reading a different speed then the others and it makes the car feel like it has lost traction?
If it weren't throwing a code this may be true. But once it throws a code that sensor is ignored.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If it weren't throwing a code this may be true. But once it throws a code that sensor is ignored.

Well this isn't the first time I have had this issue as I had to replace the front wheel sensors. But they never through up the same abs lights only the blinking traction light as I would drive. It was showing the same symptoms as this sensor did when it went out. It may be because I used 2 washers to space it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I agree with iminhell1 ... You need to use a BMW scan tool and see what ABS codes you have.

Go out and buy BMW Carly app and a OBDII dongle. It will be money well spent. You need a BMW code reader and not some generic reader.

IF you used a code reader to pin point a bad speed sensor... it should also be the wheel bearing(going bad and causing the ring sensor to go in and out of its plane in relation to the sensor). Or... the ring could have come loose from the bearing.

IF you are getting ABS, DSC and the warning triangle come on all at the same time... usually after driving for a while... that sounds to me like a bad DSC/ABS module. Its located next to the brake booster under the hood directly in front of the driver. You can send out the ABS ecu to be repaired. Don't try to repair it yourself. Look on ebay for services.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      01-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I agree with iminhell1 ... You need to use a BMW scan tool and see what ABS codes you have.

Go out and buy BMW Carly app and a OBDII dongle. It will be money well spent. You need a BMW code reader and not some generic reader.

IF you used a code reader to pin point a bad speed sensor... it should also be the wheel bearing(going bad and causing the ring sensor to go in and out of its plane in relation to the sensor). Or... the ring could have come loose from the bearing.

IF you are getting ABS, DSC and the warning triangle come on all at the same time... usually after driving for a while... that sounds to me like a bad DSC/ABS module. Its located next to the brake booster under the hood directly in front of the driver. You can send out the ABS ecu to be repaired. Don't try to repair it yourself. Look on ebay for services.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Those three lights are on as soon I turn the car on I will go ahead and buy Carly
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Early last year I tried using INPA to bleed the brakes. I didn't have the english parts setup so I had to fumble through with german and watching the english version on youtube. There was something not the same between the video and mine and I hit a wrong button.
Ended up screwing up the ABS block and I lost ABS/DSC/E-Diff, etc. Basically the car was now all manual, no nannies at all.

All I had to do was recalibrate the ABS block. But to do this I had to use ISTA-D.
After doing that everything came back and worked better than before actually.

Both ISTA and INPA are the shop level tools. There are shared versions you can find online. But just be aware that it is software you can really screw things up with, and it takes a fair amount of computer to make it work.
It's probably better option to bite the bullet and take it to BMW to have it all reset and checked out. If you screw up, it's going there anyways.

Carly and ProTools can not do abs recalibration. They are more coding and code reading tools. Anything that deals with calibration or updating should be done with other software.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      01-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Those three lights are on as soon I turn the car on I will go ahead and buy Carly
Then it's almost certainly your ABS module has gone bad. Like I said many people on ebay can repair them for a few hundred dollars. The black "box" can unbolt from the ABS block(six torx bolts) and you can send that into a repair service shop on ebay.

For instance like this 2nd search result on ebay. I have no affiliation for them. I'm just showing you that shops CAN repair the ABS module.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...epair&_sacat=0

I had the same problem on my e39 last year. Its the "trifecta" of ABS, DSC and "!" check light that comes on. I sent my module out to be repaired and all is good now.

IF you buy a new control unit(module)... you will need to have it coded to your car. But having your old module repaired is a PnP affair, after the circuit board is repaired.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

The speed sensor has to read the circumference of the wheel ring, if that ring has trash around it, it can cause a false positive, clean out with brake cleaner and retest.
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So, it turns out it was the washers separating the sensor all of the lights disappeared from the dash as I started driving and haven't come back since. Thank you, everyone, for all of the recommendations!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

My abs lights come on and my gauges stop working occasionally. Its bc of a bad battery control module. It's the red and black boxes on the battery in the trunk. Once it goes bad or or is loose the abs and traction control lights come on. that's what my issue is at least.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10538.50
      02-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So, it turns out it was the washers separating the sensor all of the lights disappeared from the dash as I started driving and haven't come back since. Thank you, everyone, for all of the recommendations!
Sounds like "rust jacking" on the ABS ring that's part of the CV axle. The rust will build back up and your problem will reoccur. Here is a video about it...

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
My abs lights come on and my gauges stop working occasionally. Its bc of a bad battery control module. It's the red and black boxes on the battery in the trunk. Once it goes bad or or is loose the abs and traction control lights come on. that's what my issue is at least.
Are you sure it isn't your left rear wheel speed sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #16
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Quote:
Sounds like "rust jacking" on the ABS ring that's part of the CV axle. The rust will build back up and your problem will reoccur. Here is a video about it...

Yes, I have watched that video it may be temporary but I will be able to have that done at a later date.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10538.50
      02-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #17
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
Are you sure it isn't your left rear wheel speed sensor?
yes
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #18
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

What BMW car is in this video? which is relevant to this thread BTW: Also I would defiantly flush my brake system regularly.

Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings

Last edited by Mr Gasser; 02-06-2020 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0