BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #89
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
Do you happen to have the diagram showing where’d these fit into the intake tract?! I have a solid elbow and modified stock air box right now.
Replaces the solid elbow.(not my pic) Red line points to the generator.
Quote:
Quote:
Do you happen to have the diagram showing where'd these fit into the intake tract?! I have a solid elbow and modified stock air box right now.
Replaces the solid elbow.(not my pic) Red line points to the generator.
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4E...=w1440-h860-no[/IMG]
I recognize the parts on the right. The stuff that resembles drain pipe must be the new parts. And are you saying they don't actually go thru the firewall, they just terminate there to possibly provide sound? Any results to share/worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #90
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
I recognize the parts on the right. The stuff that resembles drain pipe must be the new parts. And are you saying they don't actually go thru the firewall, they just terminate there to possibly provide sound? Any results to share/worth it?
The whole thing is one part/assembly. The "drain pipes" are not separate and yes, the pipe just aims/directs sound towards the firewall.

The part is still inbound from Europe so results will have to wait, but most info I've found online has been positive.

How's your German?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha1-xpr7nCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHl1ak6u61I
      02-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #91
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
The whole thing is one part/assembly. The "drain pipes" are not separate and yes, the pipe just aims/directs sound towards the firewall.

The part is still inbound from Europe so results will have to wait, but most info I've found online has been positive.
I don't know if this will sound good with that resonator attached. The resonator really changes the sound of the intake. I ran my Performance intake with the lid off and just the filter in place and it sounded like ass--loud ass, but still ass. I just swapped the stock inlet tube and resonator for a silicone hose and the sound (with the lid on) is much more pleasant and aggressive. You may get lucky, but I don't know how the frequency will change with the added pipe.

Basically it's like blowing over a bottle. The resonator is sized at a specific volume to cancel the natural frequency on the intake noise. You're adding a huge amount of volume with that added piping (basically expanding the size of the bottle you're blowing over). Maybe it will sound good, maybe it won't.
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      02-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #92
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I don't know if this will sound good with that resonator attached. The resonator really changes the sound of the intake. I ran my Performance intake with the lid off and just the filter in place and it sounded like ass--loud ass, but still ass. I just swapped the stock inlet tube and resonator for a silicone hose and the sound (with the lid on) is much more pleasant and aggressive. You may get lucky, but I don't know how the frequency will change with the added pipe.

Basically it's like blowing over a bottle. The resonator is sized at a specific volume to cancel the natural frequency on the intake noise. You're adding a huge amount of volume with that added piping (basically expanding the size of the bottle you're blowing over). Maybe it will sound good, maybe it won't.
The piping is not "added" and it's not just piping. It's a diaphragm style sound generator with piping to direct the sound. This isn't cutting holes in the side of the airbox. It's a fully tuned, one piece assembly engineered by BMW for the N52 equipped 130i (which also uses the PI). I may not like it, but I doubt it sounds like ass.

I didn't like the silicone hose. Too stiff. Threw it in a box somewhere, or the trash.

On a separate note, I'm familiar with Helmholtz resonance.
      02-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #93
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I ran my Performance intake with the lid off and just the filter in place and it sounded like ass--loud ass, but still ass.
I am curious what kind of noise the additional sound generator and the sound generator built in to the Performance Intake make together, though.

Last edited by Suprgnat; 04-08-2020 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #94
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
I am curious what kind of noise the additional sound generator and the sound generator built in to the Performance Intake make together, though.
A diaphram is a horse of a completely different color. It sounds intriguing, like a passive radiator. I still don't know why they would leave the resonator on the inlet tubing though, unless the resonator has also been retuned to enhance the sound.

I'm not sure how much sound engineering went into the port on the PI. It's possible that it's a tuned port, but I think it's just a basic opening to direct sound towards the firewall.

On a side note, I think I'm happy with my N52's sound now. It's unobtrusive at cruising RPM, but loud enough at WOT to make the car more fun and engaging to wind up. It's no ITB, but it's also not annoying like a short ram can sometimes be. I have the Performance Intake with K&N filter and charcoal filter delete and now the Mishimoto inlet tube.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 02-13-2020 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      04-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #95
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Did you ever receive this 130i sound generator part? Do you have a thread where you installed it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #96
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Did you ever receive this 130i sound generator part? Do you have a thread where you installed it?
It simply replaces the existing intake boot that most people replace with silicone anyway.

A nice background growl while cruising, and any change of throttle has a subtle grrr. Nothing fatiguing. Sporty.

Nice sound at WOT, but the PE and the sound generator on the PI are screaming, too, at the point.
      04-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #97
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
It simply replaces the existing intake boot that most people replace with silicone anyway.

A nice background growl while cruising, and any change of throttle has a subtle grrr. Nothing fatiguing. Sporty.

Nice sound at WOT, but the PE and the sound generator on the PI are screaming, too, at the point.
Good to hear, they seem to be pricing at over $150 for incomplete ones on ebay so I think I'll pass unless I find one cheap
Appreciate 0