BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Obi135
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Fuel Gauge/Sensor Issue

Hey folks Im having an issue with the fuel reading on my 08 135i. Says I'm on E but I just filled it up.

Some back story:

This weekend I put on a new set of VRSF downpipes. We took our time and had the car on jackstands for a few days while we battled the stock downpipes. We only had the jack stands in the front and the driveway we were working on had a downward slope to it with the car facing down the slope. So with jack stands the nose was in the air and the slope gave us enough room to work.

After the project was completed I took it for a spirited test drive and along the way noticed I had the "50 miles left" low fuel warning appeared. After fueling up at the nearest station I noticed that my fuel level appeared to be unchanged despite just filling up. I continued driving and the estimated remaining miles continued its downward trend till it hit zero.

The JB4 app shows codes 2DE5 and 2DE4 fuel fill level sensor, left (and right): signal

Clearing the codes doesn't help. Its been a little over 50 miles now and the issue still persists. Resetting the battery did not resolve the issue either.

My question is; Is it possible that while the car had its nose in the air for almost 3 days, the fuel level floaters could have gotten stuck?

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be very much appreciated.

**UPDATE** I cracked open the fuel tank to ensure the floaters weren't stuck or tangled on anything. Everything looked fine and I'm still showing empty on a full tank.

I guess at this point I'm replacing the sensors. I just don't know if I have to do both since I'm getting a code for both. Strange they would both fail at the same time. I feel like I'm missing something.

**UPDATE 2**
I replaced the whole low pressure fuel pump assembly on the passenger side but the issue still persists.

Last edited by Obi135; 07-01-2017 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0