BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #89
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
I believe Riss has a history of poor fitting products. Their 135 exhaust had some fitment issues when it was released, the down pipes had fitment issues and a subsequent revision, and now people are experiencing the same with the intake package.
I was talking about this yesterday with a friend of mine. He said it appears their MO is to be the first to market with something and they rush it and don't put enough time in testing the fitment. That definitely seems to be the case. If I ever do business with Riss in the future I will wait until at least their first production run has sold out.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #90
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
I was talking about this yesterday with a friend of mine. He said it appears their MO is to be the first to market with something and they rush it and don't put enough time in testing the fitment. That definitely seems to be the case. If I ever do business with Riss in the future I will wait until at least their first production run has sold out.
oh my god...did i just say this last week????

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=10

maybe.
      02-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #91
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Decided to install my Injen today since the weather was decent.
Not to thread jack or anything, but the quality of this plenum, even though it isn't welded metal, is awesome and very well designed. You can tell time was taken in the design of this intake.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #92
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep

yes. i will buy one..
      02-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #93
davemohan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynew135 View Post
Not to thread jack or anything, but the quality of this plenum, even though it isn't welded metal, is awesome and very well designed. You can tell time was taken in the design of this intake.
Beautiful! Now THAT'S quality! Looks like it belongs there.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #94
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Damn way to jump i here with another product lol.. thats like a head shot haha..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #95
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

For those of you that have had problems fitting the Plenum that have the NEW bracket, I have posted my temporay "fix" for this on the group buy thread.
      02-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #96
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
Well your friend is wrong. Since were were first with downpipes, and have changed them several times due to testing and feedback. We designed our own intake after several intake systems were out. Due too finding a better solution for power. We have the biggest product line for the N54, and our products are always improving. Such as the new DV's we are finishing.

When we are first all the time this means it hasn't been done before. So we have to fix any bugs based off client feedback. You say we "rush" we took 7 months to release the downpipes after we first finished them. We also took quite some time with the plenums, and a few months with the exhaust. Due to testing, and trying to make the best product possible. Of the tons of plenums that went out. We have a couple clients with issues. These things happen, and I am sorry you are one of them. We have been, and will continue too do everything we can to fix the situation. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #97
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Got my plenum.. product quality is amazing.. had a bit of a fitment issue with the screws and the holes not aligning.. had to make some adjustments but got it to fit.. did the install in -10 degrees.. freeezing.. but hope to get a good drive later to test it out.
Wow that cold! Glad your happy with the product let us know if you need anything else!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #98
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I am going to ICS with zbladejr this week to Dyno the car and see what the scoops and plenum are doing for the car. The last time I went there I ran a 350whp and 386 ftlbs of torque I am hoping for big numbers with the Riss stuff we will see.
      02-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #99
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I'm considering building my own intake/plenum using molded fiberglass. I like the Riss/Injen design, but I'd use a large heat shield on the engine side of the intake, and on the side/below the pipe to the front turbo.

I'd also run some ducting up from the front left wheel well for additional cool air.

I'd most likely use a plenum engineered for equal distance from outside air intake to each turbo pickup, with a smooth tapered large--->small transition, starting from the plenum.

I'd repositon the PS pump, but perhaps back by the driver's side strut tower brace, right near the HVAC cowl. I'd likely use a very large oval air filter or two, built into the front of the plenum in a concave manner. There was an S2K filter using that style of filter design, and it was amazingly space efficient. This would also allow for more precise cold air ducting and heat shielding.

I'll probably draw up a sketch later. Should be fun, I haven't worked with Fiberglass in a while. Could probably be redone in CFRP... I'll have to keep people updated.

I'm going to start building a prototype out of fine ruberized wire mesh, flexible byt strong enough to hold its shape.

For filters, perhaps: http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/scoopfilters.htm

Something alone those lines. The fliter surface I can get built into the front of the plenum. On or two HUGE scoop filters, or a few racing cones might be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #100
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
Wow that cold! Glad your happy with the product let us know if you need anything else!
Thats how much I wanted the parts in my car haha.. its cold and snowing here all the time but hey.. when I get my presents I gotta open it and install it sooo cant wait to clean my engine bay once its warmer to take some pics and dyno the car..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #101
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well your friend is wrong. Since were were first with downpipes, and have changed them several times due to testing and feedback. We designed our own intake after several intake systems were out. Due too finding a better solution for power. We have the biggest product line for the N54, and our products are always improving. Such as the new DV's we are finishing.

When we are first all the time this means it hasn't been done before. So we have to fix any bugs based off client feedback. You say we "rush" we took 7 months to release the downpipes after we first finished them. We also took quite some time with the plenums, and a few months with the exhaust. Due to testing, and trying to make the best product possible. Of the tons of plenums that went out. We have a couple clients with issues. These things happen, and I am sorry you are one of them. We have been, and will continue too do everything we can to fix the situation. Thank you!
Hmm.. So I have a comment about this whole "rush" thing.. I for one even though question the fitment sometimes because like Anthony says being the first does has its disadvantages but they always helped me out and resolving the problem or even providing a solution to the best of their ability but for example everytime they hvae something new they are about to introduce "we" as in the customers keep asking them to hurry up.. to rush their production but every single time if you check back to the threads for the DPs. the scoops and the plenum they pushed back saying they want to do it right.. that is one accusation I have to disagree with. RR doesn't rush things however nothing is perfect and as long as they back their product that is fine with me.. If you ask if I am a RR fanatic and back it up because I have their products then your wrong.. I complain about fitment also and have owned other cars and used other brands but calling me long D on my cell phone to help me with an issue is amazing.. I think they will keep on working at this and will provide the people with fitment problems with a resolution so lets be patient.. just my 2 cents.. (sorry about the grammer )
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #102
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

amen
      02-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #103
mynew135
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

I've had a lot of cars and I've installed a lot of after market mods and I can't think of one I've received that didn't fit the way it is supposed to fit for that particular model of vehicle. Now, pardon me if this sounds naive, but shouldn't most 135 and 335 be pretty much the same with their respective models? If you create a product that has been tested on multiple 135 and it supposedly fit correctly, shouldn't it fit correctly on most all the others? It seems a lot of people are complaining about have to modify it to fit, which would lead me to believe that all the test vehicles had to do the same? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #104
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynew135 View Post

Not to thread jack, but from the pics, You haven't installed the side clamp to the injen plenum. As they have said to cut it for the 135i, it becomes too short but luckily they have said it is optional
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #105
mynew135
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Not to thread jack, but from the pics, You haven't installed the side clamp to the injen plenum. As they have said to cut it for the 135i, it becomes too short but luckily they have said it is optional
I opted not to use it. As for the rest of the intake and plenum, it fit to perfection, like it was stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #106
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Damn way to jump i here with another product lol.. thats like a head shot haha..
X2, the mods need to clean the Off Topic Injen shit out of this thread...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #107
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
X2, the mods need to clean the Off Topic Injen shit out of this thread...

It's a thread about the fit and finish of an intake. There's no reason another option shouldn't be posted for comparision. What needs to be cleaned out is all the opinions that have been paid for.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #108
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It's a thread about the fit and finish of an intake. There's no reason another option shouldn't be posted for comparision. What needs to be cleaned out is all the opinions that have been paid for.
I think you need to stop watching conspiracy theory shows

I'm really not seeing how an INJEN intake that requires cutting to install properly on a 135i, and only uses one side of the OEM intake track is relevant to quality of the Riss Racing intake plenum
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #109
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
I think you need to stop watching conspiracy theory shows

I'm really not seeing how an INJEN intake that requires cutting to install properly on a 135i, and only uses one side of the OEM intake track is relevant to quality of the Riss Racing intake plenum

Quote:
I think the difference in temperatures would be negligible to performance... The metal will look better than plastic which is important in an engine bay like ours

Then you shouldn't have brought up construction materials. We have the Riss intake, which is metal, and now the Injen intake which is plastic. It's pretty obvious to me which one looks more at home under the hood, but you can continue to tote the party line if you like.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #110
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep

When Zbladejr and I go to ICS for my Dyno I will take off my plenum and scoops and put them on his car. He has the BMS intake and we will all see what the HP increase is. In the end that is all we really care about and if my but dyno is still working we should all be impressed. I think I am going to go from 350whp to 375whp on zbladejr car I think he will add 10whp with the plenum and scoops.