United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Lapping The Ridge (Shelton, WA)

Enjoy!

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 4
seis-speed2426.00
JP-1M171.00
Tornado1M1203.00
      07-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Nicely made - should be very helpful in tidying up my lines. I'm still on stock suspension but with square setup so braking for turn 1 has been quite iffy, same goes for making turn 10. I haven't been able to make even the same time as I first switched to squared (runs about 2:06). Not surprisingly, my 2nd time here in stock staggered setup gave me a 2:03 but on MDM. I'm now learning to drive with TC off
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      07-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Nicely made - should be very helpful in tidying up my lines. I'm still on stock suspension but with square setup so braking for turn 1 has been quite iffy, same goes for making turn 10. I haven't been able to make even the same time as I first switched to squared (runs about 2:06). Not surprisingly, my 2nd time here in stock staggered setup gave me a 2:03 but on MDM. I'm now learning to drive with TC off
Quote:
This was my first time there, and I taught myself the track watching vids before I went. I maxed out my own exploration of the line at about 2:01.xx. During session #6, I had the owner of Turn2 Lapping drive the car for 3 laps and then ride along with me for the rest of that session. He set a 1:59 flat, and I was stoked that I was able to match it. The biggest difference? He never used second gear and also stayed in 4th in two places where I was using 3rd. Eliminating the shifts simplified braking allowing later braking and more consistent turn-in. My tune makes so much midrange torque that there was no advantage to be gained downshifting. Not sure if that would be true on stock tune. In analyzing my footage, I think should grab 4th gear on the Ridge straight, the engine just runs out of power above 6k.

As an aside, I have spent 4+ years dialing in my car, and do all the work myself except for a final alignment on a good rack by a trusted chassis tuner after I have finished my work. The instructor has driven everything out there. When we pulled into the paddock after I finished driving with him, he reverently patted his hands on the dash in front of the passenger seat and said "Brilliant. I am in love. I don't know what you have done to this car, but it is brilliant." I'll never forget that. Proud moment for this amateur carjunkie!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1203.00
      07-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Would you mind sharing which turns where I should try staying in 4th instead of shifting down to 3rd? I couldn't quite catch it in your video (I must have missed it)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Would you mind sharing which turns where I should try staying in 4th instead of shifting down to 3rd? I couldn't quite catch it in your video (I must have missed it)
Gear is indicated in the center of the tachometer overlay in the video. I stayed in 4th all the way around turn 2-5.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So basically, after long straight and Turn 1, stick it in 4th and drive it all the way through the back straight to Turn 6? I will see how that goes since I'm going there Sep 1st
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
So basically, after long straight and Turn 1, stick it in 4th and drive it all the way through the back straight to Turn 6? I will see how that goes since I'm going there Sep 1st
It definitely makes things easier. Keep in 5th around 1 so all you have to think about is braking and steering input when approaching that turn at 140, then grab 4th as you brake for 2.
Appreciate 0