BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Aux-in volume

I listen to SiriusXM online via the aux input on the base stereo. When set to AUX, the only option on the display is aux-vol, which ranges from 1 - 6. Every time I start the car, although the volume is on 6, the volume level is attenuated (low). What I end up doing is turning the volume all the way down to 1, then back up to 6. Strangely, changing the volume from it's previous level seems to kick-in the aux input gain (amplification), even though I'm turning it down to 1. When I turn the volume back up to 6, it continues to increase the volume from the 1 level. So then I'm at maximum gain, and everything's good.

Note that this is completely separate from the main volume (left knob), which I adjust afterwards to get the overall volume I want. The aux-vol is set with the right knob.

Do others go through this exercise? Is there a way to fix the aux-vol to max, so it doesn't auto-attenuate every time I start the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
bluecarbon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i

what I do when I use aux is I don't use the aux-vol if you look to the far right you will see a music note if you press that then use your tuning knob you should see s-vol push in the tuning knob to select I just set my aux volume there and it is at the same level everytime I turn on the car. (my aux-vol is always set at 1)
      02-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarbon View Post
if you look to the far right you will see a music note if you press that then use your tuning knob you should see s-vol push in the tuning knob to select
S-vol is the speed-sensitive volume ramp-rate setting for the master volume, it has zero to do with aux-vol.

If I understand your point correctly, you just use the default aux-vol and don't mess with it, which works fine for your input. In my case, my head unit turns on in this low-gain state for the aux input, and if I were to use it like that, then my aux input would be drastically lower in volume than my other sources. So I'd have to crank-up the master volume, but if I then switched to the tuner or CD input, it would be blasting.

Even if I were to leave my aux-vol set to 1, it would still continue to power-up at a much lower volume, than if I were to manually change the aux-vol setting and then return it to 1.

So to be clear, changing the aux-vol setting in any way (up or down) after powering-up the head unit causes the AUX input volume to jump to a louder (higher gain) setting, which is what I need.
Appreciate 0