BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
enright
Rep
Drives: Blue 335i

Using iPhone Interface While Connected via USB

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the archives:

Is it possible to use the iPhone interface to browse and select songs while it's connected via USB? When I attempt to access the iPod app, I get a "Accessory Connected" screen.

The USB connection is an order of magnitude better in terms of sound quality vs. the AUX port, but the headunit (non-nav) browsing interface is horrid. Since my iPhone is mounted in a reachable location, I'd rather use the phone itself to select songs.

Thanks!

John
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
enright
Rep
Drives: Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enright View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the archives:

Is it possible to use the iPhone interface to browse and select songs while it's connected via USB? When I attempt to access the iPod app, I get a "Accessory Connected" screen.

The USB connection is an order of magnitude better in terms of sound quality vs. the AUX port, but the headunit (non-nav) browsing interface is horrid. Since my iPhone is mounted in a reachable location, I'd rather use the phone itself to select songs.

Thanks!

John
I will go ahead and answer my own question here in case anyone else is interested. The answer, as far as I can tell, is no - you can not use the iPhone itself to browse and select songs while it is connected via USB. UNLESS, you jailbreak your phone.

If you DO jailbreak your phone there are a few solutions:

Download an app:

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770846

Or hack config settings:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=479335

My phone is not jailbroken, so I can't vouch for either solution. If anyone knows of a way around the "Accessory Connected" screen WITHOUT jailbreaking your phone, please post it here!

John
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
ArightDoom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 128i LeMans Blue/M Sport

I was about to come in here and say, "No, you can't, you have to disconnect and quickly reconnect your phone to do so."

However: I'm a geek and have a jailbroken phone. I'll try these and report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
ArightDoom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 128i LeMans Blue/M Sport

I downloaded NoAccessorySplash, and it's fantastic. I'm going to buy a 30 pin extension so I can keep my phone in that change cubby under the dash.
Appreciate 0