BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
x336mr
Rep
Drives: 2000 Toyota MR2

Dealership seized engine during oil change. Has had my car over 6 weeks.

Hey folks, I don't even know what I'm looking for here. Advice, similar experiences, a contact at BMW North America, maybe?

I took my car in to a BMW dealership for an oil change and about the time it should be finished, I get a call from my service agent telling me the car would not start after they did the oil change, asking if I had any issues with starting lately. They kept the car to diagnose the next day, couldn't figure it out, and the third day called and told me the engine is seized and they will need to replace it. Took about a week and a half to get the engine, was told it will take about a week to install. It's been 4 weeks since that time. I've been told they are short staffed, only a couple people in the shop can do that kind of work, "should be done this week" and then when I inquire about coming to pick the car up "looks like next week," etc.

This whole time I haven't been offered a loaner vehicle, a rental car, anything. I've been taking uber to work and saving receipts.

At this point I'm super frustrated. The original mistake with the engine is what it is, a mistake that you never want to hear happened (especially at the dealership) but people aren't perfect. The level of service since then has just been lackluster and the longer it takes the more annoyed I become at the whole situation. I'm afraid of future issues popping up due to the engine installation, I'm concerned that I'm not going to get any kind of warranty, I'm concerned I'm going to have to fight with them to get reimbursement for the 6 weeks of ubers I've been taking to work.

Does anyone have any similar experience or advice they can offer?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

You really should get a loaner for this. Did you ask for one? Contact BMW headquarters and tell them your story.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
Dieselboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

I'd suggest you speak with a manager at the dealer and make sure it's clear what they will and will not cover. Did they admit to causing the engine to seize? You also need to contact a lawyer and see what your legal options are here. Not only should the dealer make you whole with the car, but they should cover any depreciative costs associated with an engine replacement. You need to be aggressive otherwise this dealer will continue to walk all over you.

Instagram: ///TheAxisGarage

If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder.
Appreciate 2
wdb4732.00
G3min1110.00
      07-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Only piece of advice I can offer is take what you wrote here and have a proper meeting with the Service Manager to explain your current issues.

From reading this, I can't tell if you've asked for a loaner and they've refused for example.
Parts BMW sells/installs usually includes a 2 year parts & labor warranty, clarify if that is going to apply in this case, possibly ask for more years/miles as you see fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Join BMWCCA immediately then talk with one of their ombudsman. They have 1 in MA, one in TX and 1 in FL.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
nevetstoj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Did they say what happened after discovering it was seized? Forgot to fill with oil??
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:40 PM   #7
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

At this point they know you're a pushover. Not much is going to change that. You can demand all you want, doesn't mean anything will change.

Lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

Follow the chain of escalation...

If you haven't already, contact the Service Manager. Otherwise:

If you haven't already, contact the General Manager. Otherwise:

If you haven't already, contact BMW USA. Otherwise:

If you haven't already, contact a lawyer.

Document everything, and don't expect them to admit or agree to anything that is not in writing. This includes , but is not limited to, responsibility for the damage, what they will/won't do about it, when they will/won't do it, courtesy cars, or Uber reimbursements. Email is great because it is built-in documentation. Any verbal communication should have a summary emailed to, and make sure to receive concurrence with the summary from, the party you talked to.
      07-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

Hmm, will the car have a salvage title now? They have reduced the value of your car by trashing your original (assumed) engine. Did they forget to put the oil plug back in?
I would be quite pissed, and run this up the chain to BMW NA HQ for compensation
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Having a new engine put in does not generate a salvage title for the car. At least in the locality where I live. I had an engine put into a car I've owned by the dealer and the title was still clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Having a new engine put in does not generate a salvage title for the car. At least in the locality where I live. I had an engine put into a car I've owned by the dealer and the title was still clean.
ok, good news there

but if they brick my engine, I expect high priority in fixing it, and I want a loaner M2, . . . and an oompa loompa
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #12
Samuel Wikerson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport

You should be grateful you are getting a new engine. The dealer could have tried to blame you for its failure. Also, your car now has more value with a new mill in it In fact, it's practically a new car.

Now you need to check what sort of warranty the new engine has.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Wikerson View Post
You should be grateful you are getting a new engine. The dealer could have tried to blame you for its failure. Also, your car now has more value with a new mill in it In fact, it's practically a new car.

Now you need to check what sort of warranty the new engine has.
You are making a big assumption that they are putting a new one in and not a used one from a salvage yard.

I too am amazed that they are actually taking responsibility for this at all. I will not be at all surprised if OP comes back and says the car was finally done and they presented him with an enormous bill.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #14
Samuel Wikerson
Private
United_States
Rep

In my experience, a new car dealer wouldn't put in a salvaged engine. Maybe things have changed, and they are able to put in junk yard parts?

In any case, the guy should check just what kind of warranty this "new" engine has. He might also learn how to change his own oil to prevent further mishaps!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #15
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Wikerson View Post
In my experience, a new car dealer wouldn't put in a salvaged engine. Maybe things have changed, and they are able to put in junk yard parts?

In any case, the guy should check just what kind of warranty this "new" engine has. He might also learn how to change his own oil to prevent further mishaps!
Maybe not salvaged but maybe a re-built/re-freshed engine. IDK what the process is or if BMW really keeps a warehouse of brand new engines for a car that hasn't been in production for almost 10 years now (even though the N55 in general has been used in other cars since, the specific model is different).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 05:40 AM   #16
Samuel Wikerson
Private
United_States
Rep

They are probably giving him a reconditioned short block. I too kind of doubt that BMW keeps new engines in their inventory.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It appears the dealership is assuming at least some responsibility which is a good thing. They did not ask you to have your car towed somewhere else, at least. If you did not sign anything authorizing engine replacement I don't see how they can ask you to pay for it. If you did, it should have had an estimate of your cost with it.

I agree with the other suggestions - you need to ask a bunch more hard questions. Like have they admitted this is their fault and is the repair at no cost to you. What engine is being installed and what warranty will it have. If they are installing a new engine - or short block at least (although I would still worry about head damage from no oil) - I do not see how the car is worth less. Seems like maybe it is worth more. Especially if it is an entire engine (minus the accessories which should not have been damaged).

Once you understand their position I would think about it a little before deciding if you think it is fair or not. Ask about a loaner and/or them covering your Uber expenses. But the big thing, I think, is are they proposing to fix your car to be at least as good as it was at no cost to you. If they are, I would be prepared to deal with the inconvenience and even a little added cost - if the car will now have a new engine. Also feel free to ask for other things of higher value to you than the cost to them. Free car washes, free oil changes, that kind of stuff.

But if their deal is poor in your opinion, I would talk to a lawyer. But I would not start there. Them starting a repair is a positive sign they may be prepared to "man up" and do the right thing.