BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
kostasmadrid
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82

BMW Professional Radio keys fading out

Hey guys good evening from Europe.

Would like your opinion over the car I just bought. It is a 118d E82 Coupe with only 45.500km. However the buttons only of the right side of the radio are faded out. As if someone did a mistake while cleaning them or something really peculiar since only these buttons seems really worn out.

Do you have any idea of what could cause this kind of wearing and tearing?

Keep in mind that the car only has 45.500km. That was checked from the official BMW in Madrid through all means possible and also have the papers of the official state inspection every 2 years and also a service book.

I attach the photos to help out. Any advice or opinion will be very helpful. I already bought a new face from eBAY to substitute the buttons or the whole face completely.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  250.5 KB

Name:  unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 279
Size:  237.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Very weird, they almost look like they were gauged out, and not just a hard wipe/scrub.

BTW, can we get a more zoomed out view of that trim, not sure if I've seen a clean brushed aluminum trim like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
kostasmadrid
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Very weird, they almost look like they were gauged out, and not just a hard wipe/scrub.

BTW, can we get a more zoomed out view of that trim, not sure if I've seen a clean brushed aluminum trim like that.
Ofcourse I can attach a foto. There you go. What I think is that when they prepared the car for the delivery they used some chemicals and brushed off everything hardly, including the aluminium and destroyed the keys on the right. Only the right part of radio cd has this damage. The rest is brand new.

Name:  IMG_5616.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  301.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

IDK, they look a lot deeper than what I can imagine any cleaner can do. They almost look melted/burned a bit too. Maybe like an extremely hot key pressed against the button or something.

Long nails from a female maybe? Maybe cigarette ash getting on them and melting as well?
Kinda weird.

If anything I would say try the detailing section of the forum, but that damage doesn't look like a cleaner or anything, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0