BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
cward2
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 1 M - SOLD

Shudder/stumbling and code on hard acceleration

2011 AW 1M with 20k miles.

So for the last few months I was convinced that my PS2's were shot. First, I felt the tires were shot as a rear wiggle on this great curve on the way home. Then I started having 2nd and 3rd gear traction issues when starting to pull under hard boost (My 1m is a DD and almost never sees freeway but I do have a nice 60 mph stretch of beltway for 5th and 6th gear a few miles each day).

Occasionally I'd even get an SES light and the car would go into limp mode. Knowing how some of the electricals work in a 911 GT3RS, I figured that if I had goofy wheel hop and the supplemental engine control system couldn't resolve by detuning, then it would likely throw a code. And the code would always go away next startup.

Do following the reviews and discussions here, I installed new 265/30 and 295/30 PSS on Saturday. First off, the tires set up looks great but even better it was nice and cool outside. Perfect turbo weather!

Pull out of the driveway and get out on a nice open 2 lane road and go WOT at 4k RPM in second gear. CODE! LIMP MODE!

Pull over and restart. No limp mode but code remains. I can actually make it go into limp code on command now. Read all the HPSP diagnosis. Not anything like. Read all the coil/plug diagnosis. Similar but not really. Absolutely not a clutch. If there was a rubber flex disk between the driveshaft and trans or driveshaft and diff, then that would be my diagnosis. Had a CV joint on a customer's 911 Turbo that felt like that too.

Off to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'll keep everybody apprised what they find. At least its repeatable.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Did your shudder/stumble feel anything like a hesitation and lack of boost? I know 20k is a bit low to look at an intake cleaning. I had hesitation issues with boost delivery around that rpm range. Once the intake was cleaned up, problem was gone. Then again, I had 58k on the clock. I also had one instance click the SES on and drop into limp mode. I was able to keep driving on limp mode for another 10 minutes and the SES light and limp mode went away.

Just tossing out a thought.
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
cward2
United_States
Rep

Doesn't feel like hesitation/low boost at all. Actually it spools up when starting to accelerate as responsive as ever. Also I'm a techron every couple of tanks guy too (though I understand there is a debate whether its fuel or oil vapors causing the build up on our cars). Shell premium every fill up.

MPG hasn't varied by more than 0.2 MPG the entire time I've owned (except for a high speed blast up to Austin and back 2 summers ago).

I say shudder/stumbling but its cyclical enough when occurring that if it was much harder I would call it a clunk (and then think bad u joint).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
I filled up religiously with Chevron premium up until 56k when the local station closed. I believe its inevitable.
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

You said that you've analyzed the discussions and reports here but did you check the charge pipe carefully? If it is cracked it might not be easily visible, not necessarily.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
cward2
United_States
Rep

Going to check now. Slap forehead as it never even occurred to me since it seems that problem crops up on the heavily modified cars I read.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
cward2
United_States
Rep

Charge pipe appears fine. Was a little warm so I didn't seek to completely remove but was able to tug fully and run my hand around where most seem to have split/deteriorated.

I'll let the dealer look at tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

How did you go with this? Knock sensors can also be an issue, happened to me at 700km of ownership and sounds a little like what you've described.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
cward2
United_States
Rep

Picked up car this morning. Turns out to be a combination. First was a bad coil on cylinder number 3. Second was a broken charge pipe around the bottom of the clip (allowing leakage at seal to throttle body only under pressure of course).

Bat out of hell now. Time to install my mad dads. Thanks for all the ideas.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cward2 View Post
broken charge pipe around the bottom of the clip (allowing leakage at seal to throttle body only under pressure of course).
Added this thread to issue #5c of the 1M issues log sticky:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1