BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Reset adaptations ISTA?

Hello,
I recently got my car out of storage, messed with the 3 Stage IM and wanted to reset adaptations again. Does anyone know how in ISTA and what to reset?

Thank you
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Operations --> Read Out Vehicle Data (same first step any time cable is connected)

Vehicle Management --> Text Search

"Adaption"

Should find something in there that will guide you further.

Most things I try to find/do all start with a text search. Often I find new things that way also.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Operations --> Read Out Vehicle Data (same first step any time cable is connected)

Vehicle Management --> Text Search

"Adaption"

Should find something in there that will guide you further.

Most things I try to find/do all start with a text search. Often I find new things that way also.
I saw a general adaptation last time i looked but when i did it with INPA i remember doing like 8 different things. What adaptation is important is it just throttle body for the 3 stage?
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I've no idea for the 128. I'm just figuring something in the search will look enticing and fit the bill.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:38 AM   #5
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

There is one for the intake manifold specifically. I am surprised INPA has so many more options versus ISTA. In ISTA you can only do adaptations or adaptations + variants. I can almost swear INPA does it better as the result seems better.

I use google translate to figure out what each one does as my INPA is in German.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
There is one for the intake manifold specifically. I am surprised INPA has so many more options versus ISTA. In ISTA you can only do adaptations or adaptations + variants. I can almost swear INPA does it better as the result seems better.

I use google translate to figure out what each one does as my INPA is in German.
Yeah, i ended up just giving up and using my other computer and using INPA instead. Adaptations are way easier on it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, i ended up just giving up and using my other computer and using INPA instead. Adaptations are way easier on it
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Did anyone get throttle faults shortly after doing some adaptation resets in INPA?
I got 2CFB and 2D09 on start up with a half CEL and chugging fast idle, jerky and laggy throttle (manual).
INPA showed no other faults. I managed to get around it for the past few days by pressing the ignition on, waiting til all the self test lights go out and then starting the engine. Perhaps cranking the engine causes a big enough voltage drop to impact the throttle self checks at each ignition on (Terminal 87 was logged at 10.8V in freeze frame data). A few days ago I changed the DME relay (K6300) as it feeds most of the DME's sensors and actuators.

Today, I scanned with ISTA as I got sick of the flat throttle response and jerky throttle. Found faults logged for:
- 2A39 Valvetronic adjustment range, stops not learnt (VVT adaptation done in INPA), no audible calibration sounds occurred.
Fixed by running Valvetronic end stop relearn service function

- 2CFB Throttle body adaptation value, boundary conditions violated (possibly adaptation value invalid versus actual positions)
Fixed by running throttle actuator test module which identified the cause as failure to meet/maintain preconditions of throttle actuator adaptation during the process. Not sure when it attempted? When I pressed the button in INPA? After i put the car to sleep after resetting in INPA? I tried to follow the same procedure with INPA as i do with ISTA (put car to sleep to allow adaptations to reset, then ignition back on for 15s). A workshop power supply was connected during adaptation, as should always be when using ISTA.

- 5E18 DME to DSC CAN data fault (likely due to invalid throttle position signal)

Could this also be related to the INPA status 'STOPPED' whenever any of these adaptations are selected? The only thing indicating something has happened is a small message at the bottom to the effect of 'action carried out'.

Last edited by juld0zer; 04-03-2019 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #9
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did anyone get throttle faults shortly after doing some adaptation resets in INPA?
I got 2CFB and 2D09 on start up with a half CEL and chugging fast idle, jerky and laggy throttle (manual).
INPA showed no other faults. I managed to get around it for the past few days by pressing the ignition on, waiting til all the self test lights go out and then starting the engine. Perhaps cranking the engine causes a big enough voltage drop to impact the throttle self checks at each ignition on (Terminal 87 was logged at 10.8V in freeze frame data). A few days ago I changed the DME relay (K6300) as it feeds most of the DME's sensors and actuators.

Today, I scanned with ISTA as I got sick of the flat throttle response and jerky throttle. Found faults logged for:
- 2A39 Valvetronic adjustment range, stops not learnt (VVT adaptation done in INPA), no audible calibration sounds occurred.
Fixed by running Valvetronic end stop relearn service function

- 2CFB Throttle body adaptation value, boundary conditions violated (possibly adaptation value invalid versus actual positions)
Fixed by running throttle actuator test module which identified the cause as failure to meet/maintain preconditions of throttle actuator adaptation during the process. Not sure when it attempted? When I pressed the button in INPA? After i put the car to sleep after resetting in INPA? I tried to follow the same procedure with INPA as i do with ISTA (put car to sleep to allow adaptations to reset, then ignition back on for 15s). A workshop power supply was connected during adaptation, as should always be when using ISTA.

- 5E18 DME to DSC CAN data fault (likely due to invalid throttle position signal)

Could this also be related to the INPA status 'STOPPED' whenever any of these adaptations are selected? The only thing indicating something has happened is a small message at the bottom to the effect of 'action carried out'.
Im not sure of INPA saying stopped? When ever i did my adaptations, KOEO, mine always says something like "blah blah blah completed" never seen stopped? What did you do to the car beforehand that made you want to reset the adaptations? And for good measure whenever i start i always push the button with no brake, then start just to prime the fuel pump and everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:43 AM   #10
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Did that message come up as a pop up?
I swapped both DISA flaps from a donor car and it felt flat when downshifting into 4th to overtake.

I installed a brand new genuine inner/small DISA flap this week and reset adaptations via ISTA, no issues so far, even starting the engine like I always had (clutch in, press start). Still feels a bit flat but in 6th gear at 80+kmh i just breathe on the gas pedal and the thing just gains speed so quick now.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #11
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did that message come up as a pop up?
I swapped both DISA flaps from a donor car and it felt flat when downshifting into 4th to overtake.

I installed a brand new genuine inner/small DISA flap this week and reset adaptations via ISTA, no issues so far, even starting the engine like I always had (clutch in, press start). Still feels a bit flat but in 6th gear at 80+kmh i just breathe on the gas pedal and the thing just gains speed so quick now.
Did you test the DISA valves? And yeah its most noticed that between like 2-3k it tends to be a bit flat then at 3750 when the valve opens it really starts to pull
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #12
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I only tested them assembled inside the manifold, activated and heard a flap sound that was identical between the pair so I didn't suspect anything. None of the four flaps were loose or found in the incorrect rest position when removed.

When i have another donor car i will use that to test all the flaps. Don't want to mess up my own right now I just try to avoid the 1800-2000rpm range where it feels the most flat.
Appreciate 0