BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2024, 06:53 PM   #1
BaaQaf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35i M Sport

Input Shaft Pilot Bearing Install E88 E82 E89

Sup everyone,

The (manual 6 speed) E82, E88, and E89 with the N54 share the same identicle transmission GS6-53BZ - TJGK | 23007581860

While I was changing my clutch there was a need to change the input shaft pilot bearing. Grease option did not work cause the pilot bearing had a breach in which the grease was being pushed back into the Pilot bearing from the sides.

I was able to get the old pilot bearing out, the entire thing, nothing left over. One thing that caught my eye is the old pilot bearing did not have a staight OD rectangular shape but seemed more coned or tappered off from its orginal size. Example: The front 24mm to 22.48mm OD.

Sure enough I checked the ID of the input shaft and it starts from 24mm going down to 22.xx mm

I destroyed the first new pilot bearing when trying to drive it in using a socket of the same size. Second attemp I tried driving the pilot bearing in from its buttom, that instanty broke out the bottom where the tiny hole is.

Third attemp I froze the bearing in dry ice for 30min to start driving it in from the front. When it got nice and straight, would hammer it (using a bearing race driver) couple of times, rotate the shaft, hammer, rotate, then applied freon to freeze it, and then repeat the process.

I got the bearing in flushed after couple of hours and 5 cans of freon (small cans).

Was there an easier way of doing this? I heard there was a BMW tool to press pilot bearing in on the input shaft (not sure how that is possible when there is nothing to pivot from). I saw a DIY to achieve something like this https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393279

Im not sure if this is known thing, just checking with the community.
Appreciate 0