BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #45
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Love watching you stretch the 135i at Sonoma. That McLaren driver is terrified of the cresting brake zone just before the carousel (T6). They're also suuuuuper late on the throttle on exit there. Not that I'm talkin' smack, it's just interesting to see what a difference a driver mod can make.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2
1spirit204.50
      11-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #46
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
Nice edit. I wanted to edit my video from my last track day in this fashion. (Had a 3 camera setup) but the stupid external mic adaptor didn't work and have wind noise. No point in making video

Where is your foot cam GoPro placement. I notice it would get in the way when I would heel toe sometime

And it's nice but frustrating to be behind one of these supercars. I've been stuck behind a 918 before and didn't let me pass until the end. Lol.
I’d still love to see it! Using the audio graphic equalizer in your video editing program, you can make adjustments to certain parts of the sound wave to make the wind noise sound much better. Or you could just mute the sound and add a nice song

That cam is mounted below the steering wheel assembly at a height of a few inches below the knee. It sometimes touches against my shin during heel-toe but it’s only a slight rub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Wow 1spirit! Thanks for sharing!
If and when I do my first Sonoma Raceway track day, I'll try to copy your line.
(Not necessarily try to keep up with you if you're actually there though.)
Thank you Bosozoku!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOSS M View Post
Cool video , excellent driving !
Thank you FLOSS M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Look like you also made the cover of: National Capital Chapter - BMW Car Club of America on FB...

https://www.facebook.com/NCCBMWCCA/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED
That is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
Awesome driving
Thank you Orange fever
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottWhat View Post
The McLaren driver looked to be out of his comfort zone...early braking, poor racing lines, not letting a quicker driver pass, etc. Nice driving on your part though
Thanks GottWhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Excellent video, I thoroughly enjoyed that!
Thank you W///!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
Pretty classic example of the senselessness of comparing car lap times I see here regularly. Unless you've developed great track skills, all the horsepower/suspension/tire combinations in the world won't make you any quicker.
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
lol I see the owner of that 675 on Instagram bragging all the time about his track adventures and his driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Really a shame that people don't care to develop their own skillz!!!
It can be! But to each his or her own I guess
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #47
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacMeal View Post
I think the title is misleading ?
I can explain

The corner official between Turns 5 & 6 waved the blue flag to the McLaren to move aside.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_flags#Blue_flag

When I see this flag waving at me, I let the car behind pass, regardless of what car it is. I had to brake more and/or use less throttle than I’d like through Turns 6, 10, 3, & 3A. He chose to ignore the flag but it turned out okay with that awesome power to recover with

I should note that the McLaren was a lot farther ahead at the beginning of the session - maybe about 7-8 seconds ahead (I always take the first lap easy). The video only shows after I got very close which took 4-5 laps (edited out for the sake of keeping the video short). Based on the lost ground made up, I was running at a faster pace than the McLaren by around 1-2 seconds per lap.
Appreciate 4
spuntyb4054.50
      11-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
This happened to be but in reverse order. I was way faster on the straights, but couldn't even get close to the cornering speeds of this car. I let him pass and he stayed in front of me (was the nicer thing to do) and I had to go slow on straights and play catchup in the corners.

Still fun, great driving, and cool story to tell nonetheless!
Ideally with advanced drivers that don't have big egos... multiple passes can occur within a lap. I've done laps where I have been given a point by because I was the faster car on the straight.. but then the other car was all over me in the corners... so I let the other driver back by in the corners.. and get another point on the next straight.

I recently was at COTA with a student in an M5...he was able to POWER away from cars like the E9x M3 on the straights but had to give it up to them in the turns. By being courteous and allowing a point by to the slower top speed cars in the slower corners ( for example turn 1-2 ) .. he was able to let them go quickly in the twisty parts of the course and then get a point back by as he motored out of T11 onto the back straight... he was able to be faster on the back straight and front straight and keep his advantage around to turn 1.

By doing this... both drivers can put in a fast lap without either driver being held up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spirit View Post
I can explain

The corner official between Turns 5 & 6 waved the blue flag to the McLaren to move aside.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_flags#Blue_flag

When I see this flag waving at me, I let the car behind pass, regardless of what car it is. I had to brake more and/or use less throttle than I’d like through Turns 6, 10, 3, & 3A. He chose to ignore the flag but it turned out okay with that awesome power to recover with

I should note that the McLaren was a lot farther ahead at the beginning of the session - maybe about 7-8 seconds ahead (I always take the first lap easy). The video only shows after I got very close which took 4-5 laps (edited out for the sake of keeping the video short). Based on the lost ground made up, I was running at a faster pace than the McLaren by around 1-2 seconds per lap.
Outstanding Rebuttal.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-30-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
1spirit204.50
      11-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #49
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

It's not about the size of your tool it's about how you use it.
Appreciate 1
1spirit204.50
      11-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #50
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Excellent driving, and an awesome car (his too )!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
1spirit204.50
      11-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #51
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Great driving man. Hopefully, I can drive like that in the track someday.

Good watch indeed!

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 1
1spirit204.50
      11-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #52
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Great video and great driving- can tell you were pushing the car with the wall coming pretty close there! The power difference is clear but the McLaren had to shed more coming into the corners.

Very enjoyable- well played for not getting frustrated and enjoying the battle!
      11-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #53
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

"You shall not pass"
      12-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #54
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
awesome. this made me want to hit up the tracks again.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
1spirit204.50
      12-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #55
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
Awesome video!
Thank you wjjkoevoets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Cool air brakes on the mclaren.
Yeah, was eye candy each time that rear wing went up right in front of me
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
This used to happen to me in my S2000 a lot on track. Guys with more power refusing to give up the turns....
S2000’s are so quick! Love that car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
This happened to be but in reverse order. I was way faster on the straights, but couldn't even get close to the cornering speeds of this car. I let him pass and he stayed in front of me (was the nicer thing to do) and I had to go slow on straights and play catchup in the corners.

Still fun, great driving, and cool story to tell nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms4cd View Post
Love it, Great Job! Local to this track, great driving!
Thank you ms4cd!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #56
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Love watching you stretch the 135i at Sonoma. That McLaren driver is terrified of the cresting brake zone just before the carousel (T6). They're also suuuuuper late on the throttle on exit there. Not that I'm talkin' smack, it's just interesting to see what a difference a driver mod can make.
Thank you bradleyland. Great observation! I normally like to begin braking later and lighter for T6 so that I can trail-brake longer and deeper into that downhill carousel to rotate the car more, which would help me get on the throttle sooner…if that makes any sense. Braking harder and sooner for the McLaren shifted everything and left me with some added understeer but that’s something I gotta work on… Doing a mild dive bomb on the inside of the McLaren crossed my mind but no point in that
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #57
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Ideally with advanced drivers that don't have big egos... multiple passes can occur within a lap. I've done laps where I have been given a point by because I was the faster car on the straight.. but then the other car was all over me in the corners... so I let the other driver back by in the corners.. and get another point on the next straight.

I recently was at COTA with a student in an M5...he was able to POWER away from cars like the E9x M3 on the straights but had to give it up to them in the turns. By being courteous and allowing a point by to the slower top speed cars in the slower corners ( for example turn 1-2 ) .. he was able to let them go quickly in the twisty parts of the course and then get a point back by as he motored out of T11 onto the back straight... he was able to be faster on the back straight and front straight and keep his advantage around to turn 1.

By doing this... both drivers can put in a fast lap without either driver being held up.

Outstanding Rebuttal.
Thanks for sharing your experience and insight. I'm on the same page...

Oh thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #58
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
It's not about the size of your tool it's about how you use it.
(I really like using this emoji lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Excellent driving, and an awesome car (his too )!

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Great driving man. Hopefully, I can drive like that in the track someday.

Good watch indeed!
Thank you e92_m3. I highly recommend getting some seat time with a good performance driving coach. You might be amazed at how much you can improve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post
Great video and great driving- can tell you were pushing the car with the wall coming pretty close there! The power difference is clear but the McLaren had to shed more coming into the corners.

Very enjoyable- well played for not getting frustrated and enjoying the battle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
"You shall not pass"

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
awesome. this made me want to hit up the tracks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #59
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

That's a pretty typical DE experience. On my third DE, I was at Pocono with an infield track that opened onto the Tri-oval for a stretch. My three days gave me enough of a sense for how to operate my car, and I ended up behind a newbie in a Lamborghini that couldn't drive, plus was concerned about wrecking his 6 figure car. I would coast behind him in the infield around the corners, then watch him blast off around the tri-oval. By the time my 325 caught up, he was back in the infield section with no room to pass. In those instances, it's best to go into the hot pits and ask for space. They'll find an appropriate slot for you
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #60
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
That's a pretty typical DE experience. On my third DE, I was at Pocono with an infield track that opened onto the Tri-oval for a stretch. My three days gave me enough of a sense for how to operate my car, and I ended up behind a newbie in a Lamborghini that couldn't drive, plus was concerned about wrecking his 6 figure car. I would coast behind him in the infield around the corners, then watch him blast off around the tri-oval. By the time my 325 caught up, he was back in the infield section with no room to pass. In those instances, it's best to go into the hot pits and ask for space. They'll find an appropriate slot for you
It ended up working out fine and still had a great time...

In regards to finding an appropriate slot, this was the most advanced open passing group where the cars are mostly race prepped so the drivers are all pretty experienced and quick. Fortunately, newbies are not permitted in this group nor are they even allowed to drive on this particular track. (The prerequisite at Sonoma Raceway is to have at least intermediate level experience at other tracks to be able to run.)

I should say Sonoma tends to slow down even experienced drivers who may be pretty fast on other tracks. There are plenty of guys I know who avoid this track because they are terrified of it. (I tell them to go to Nurburgring lol)

I call this track The Great Equalizer! Power is less rewarded here than most others, which is one major reason I love this circuit

Last edited by 1spirit; 12-02-2016 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: meant "avoid" not "don't avoid"
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #61
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
when you have that much power in that expensive of a car I think I'd be driving the same way

good to see the 135i when the suspension is sorted out can be a great track car

nice vid OP
Appreciate 2
1spirit204.50
      12-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #62
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
when you have that much power in that expensive of a car I think I'd be driving the same way

good to see the 135i when the suspension is sorted out can be a great track car

nice vid OP
Yeah the car is surprisingly good. Better than I ever expected. I thought I needed an ///M car

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #63
alrock'M
Cruising
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold - F30 335i 6MT

Awesome vid and driving! Enjoyed watching. If I let my wife watch this she won't think I'm a professional driver anymore! Or, atleast it won't help my case.

OP, you were shifting like a boss!
1spirit204.50
      12-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #64
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

That was very entertaining to watch. Thanks for sharing.
1spirit204.50
      12-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #65
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrock'M View Post
Awesome vid and driving! Enjoyed watching. If I let my wife watch this she won't think I'm a professional driver anymore! Or, atleast it won't help my case.

OP, you were shifting like a boss!
Thank you alrock'M!

You're too kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
That was very entertaining to watch. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #66
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spirit View Post
It ended up working out fine and still had a great time...

In regards to finding an appropriate slot, this was the most advanced open passing group where the cars are mostly race prepped so the drivers are all pretty experienced and quick. Fortunately, newbies are not permitted in this group nor are they even allowed to drive on this particular track. (The prerequisite at Sonoma Raceway is to have at least intermediate level experience at other tracks to be able to run.)

I should say this track tends to slow down even experienced drivers who may be pretty fast on other tracks. Many track guys I know don't even visit this track because they are terrified of it. (I tell them to go to Nurburgring lol)

I call this track The Great Equalizer! Power is less rewarded on this track than most others, which is one major reason I love this track
Oh..this is Sonoma..didn't even recognize it or notice you are in the Silicon Valley. I grew up in Sonoma and now live in San Mateo.