BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW quarantines German employees after worker tests positive for coronavirus

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW quarantines German employees after worker tests positive for coronavirus
COMMENTS

March 2, 2020

MUNICH -- BMW has told about 150 employees in Munich to stay at home for 14 days under self-quarantine after a colleague tested positive for the coronavirus.

The employee who tested positive was taken to hospital after he visited a doctor on Sunday. He is doing well under the circumstances, BMW said.

The worker had not traveled abroad and was working in the automaker's research and development center. He was in contact with about 150 other employees.

The affected premises were closed off and disinfected and operations are continuing without restrictions, BMW said.

Via Autonews

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5703.50
      03-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Getting close to just staying home at this point.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5703.50
      03-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
well, if maybe time to prepare mass work from home...
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5703.50
      03-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Yeah, its getting kind of crazy here in the states as well. Yesterday I was reading on a local facebook group that Costco was crazy this last weekend. People were taking water bottles from pallets on the way to their spot. Running out of hand sanitizers, paper towels, etc...
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      03-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
in the States, I think it's a bit premature if you ask me..., it has consequence, but at least data so far shows it does not impact young and healthy
Appreciate 6
Ickdeep5703.50
BMWZ41899.50
M-Pilot4857.50
Miko M6646.50
///M TOWN13003.00
lab_rat394.50
      03-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Yeah, its getting kind of crazy here in the states as well. Yesterday I was reading on a local facebook group that Costco was crazy this last weekend. People were taking water bottles from pallets on the way to their spot. Running out of hand sanitizers, paper towels, etc...
It's all ridiculous.

There's no reason to make a run on water bottles. There's no risk of city water becoming compromised.

I've seen pictures of people loading up entire Costco grocery carts with toilet paper. Why do people all of the sudden think they're going to get long term explosive diarrhea.

The panic isn't so much about the Corona virus but more so in regards to grocery stores running out of goods and people panicking that they need to buy everything before someone else buys it all.

My wife is a MD. She's dreading going to work today to answer all the dumb questions. If you're not old, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 20
Ickdeep5703.50
BMWZ41899.50
M-Pilot4857.50
duercos201.00
Salespunk1737.50
Kingpin4381.50
Ex_Stig2562.50
Salty Dog3572.50
chicagofan0018835.50
530iDriver1707.50
chrisk03151.50
lab_rat394.50
BigHunk268.00
eluded2938.00
      03-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
in the States, I think it's a bit premature if you ask me..., it has consequence, but at least data so far shows it does not impact young and healthy
It is not fatal for young/healthy for the most part, but there is still a large part of that population that will have complications. For the elderly/high risk it is a completely different story. Fatality rates are 8%+ in those populations.

Really the goal is to slow the spread so that the healthcare system does not get completely overloaded. They know it will run a full course and we can't stop it now, but if it takes 6 months instead of 6 weeks then the systems in place will be able to handle the load much better. I fully expect to see shutdowns on a large scale here in the next few weeks. Large events all over the world are being shut down and there are even discussions about cancelling the Olympics in Tokyo.
Appreciate 1
msan401.50
      03-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
It's all ridiculous.

There's no reason to make a run on water bottles. There's no risk of city water becoming compromised.

I've seen pictures of people loading up entire Costco grocery carts with toilet paper. Why do people all of the sudden think they're going to get long term explosive diarrhea.

The panic isn't so much about the Corona virus but more so in regards to grocery stores running out of goods and people panicking that they need to buy everything before someone else buys it all.

My wife is a MD. She's dreading going to work today to answer all the dumb questions. If you're not old, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.
People are stupid, 38% of recent poll respondents would refuse to drink Corona beer or virus fears
Appreciate 4
yjypm219.00
BigHunk268.00
      03-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Argh. I totally get being cautious. And it's worse than the flu, which is of course worse than a cold. But it's not a death sentence (for most of us). I typically reject hearing "fake news" but in this instance, while I care, I feel like it's more than a bit too hyped right now - most people aren't able to put this into perspective.

If I heard we had a case at work, I wouldn't be worried about dying, but I would be worried about a miserable couple weeks fighting it. And so I'd put on a mask to be sure I didn't accidentally bite my fingernails or chew on a pen top, use it as a reminder to wash my hands before I eat, and basically go on with my day.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Argh. I totally get being cautious. And it's worse than the flu, which is of course worse than a cold. But it's not a death sentence (for most of us). I typically reject hearing "fake news" but in this instance, while I care, I feel like it's more than a bit too hyped right now - most people aren't able to put this into perspective.

If I heard we had a case at work, I wouldn't be worried about dying, but I would be worried about a miserable couple weeks fighting it. And so I'd put on a mask to be sure I didn't accidentally bite my fingernails or chew on a pen top, use it as a reminder to wash my hands before I eat, and basically go on with my day.
At least you're aware that a mask is only good as a reminder to not touch your face and to wash your hands regularly.

Most don't realize that masks are only useful in minimizing the spreading of the virus, and not useful for protecting against catching the virus.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13003.00
      03-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #11
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

So will they have to close that plant and kill it with fire? This might be the perfect opportunity to rid ourselves of all the humungous front grills...
Appreciate 5
      03-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
It's all ridiculous.

People don’t have the survival skills. Lived in Lebanon during the early days of the civil war: worst we have seen was lack of gas (which is needed for cooking etc). But we survived.
People can’t do math. If a person installs an under the sink water filtration system, it can last a year. Spend another $200 and you can get yourself another set of filters which will last another year.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #13
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
It is not fatal for young/healthy for the most part, but there is still a large part of that population that will have complications. For the elderly/high risk it is a completely different story. Fatality rates are 8%+ in those populations.

Really the goal is to slow the spread so that the healthcare system does not get completely overloaded. They know it will run a full course and we can't stop it now, but if it takes 6 months instead of 6 weeks then the systems in place will be able to handle the load much better. I fully expect to see shutdowns on a large scale here in the next few weeks. Large events all over the world are being shut down and there are even discussions about cancelling the Olympics in Tokyo.
I don't want to underplay it, for old age and anyone with existing condition it can be fatal (and 1~2% death rate is "high", especially relative to <0.1% on flu) but the people who run to costco for most part are healthy youngs...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Quote:
It's all ridiculous.

People don’t have the survival skills. Lived in Lebanon during the early days of the civil war: worst we have seen was lack of gas (which is needed for cooking etc). But we survived.
People can’t do math. If a person installs an under the sink water filtration system, it can last a year. Spend another $200 and you can get yourself another set of filters which will last another year.
The majority of the US doesn't need water filtration unless you live in Flint, MI or unless the city you live in has temporarily warned people to boil water for various reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #15
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Appreciate 2
chrisk03151.50
scrammer420.50
      03-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #16
Hangman4358
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 328d Sportline

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2014 328d F31  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I don't want to underplay it, for old age and anyone with existing condition it can be fatal (and 1~2% death rate is "high", especially relative to <0.1% on flu) but the people who run to costco for most part are healthy youngs...
The <0.1% number for the flu is for the entire population, not only the high risk population.

The latest genetic studies from Washington show that the virus has been circulation in the state for at least a good week or two.

The number of infected people is probably much higher than reported because there isn't testing. And who is getting tests? The high risk populations once a very serious case has been found.

I would not be surprised that in a year from now the data analysis will have determined a 10-1 infected to confirmed disparity if not higher.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #17
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Guess my point is the guys goes to Costco are not the guys that needs to be worried in most cases, should leave resource for those who need them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #18
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Nike in the Netherlands is locked down => https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...to-coronavirus

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I am a physician and deal with questions from my patients about Coronavirus-19 from my patients everyday. I agree with much of the above.

Although COVID-19 is a new virus and not understood as well as seasonal influenza, the statistics still need to be kept in perspective. Let's say 20,000,000 people in the USA get influenza (it's usually more) and the fatality rate is 0.1%. That's 20,000 deaths (predominantly the elderly, very young, and those with comorbid conditions).

Now let's say 500,000 in the USA get COVID-19 (a high estimate given that there's only been 90,000 known cases in the world to this point). I suspect the true fatality rate is closer to 1% than 2% (as many cases of COVID-19 go undiagnosed, recover, and obviously aren't counted in the infected numbers you see reported in the media). This would mean 5,000 deaths (again predominantly the elderly, very young, and those with comorbid conditions).

Therefore, normal healthy individuals SHOULD have a healthy respect for normal infection control practices (frequent hand washing, don't touch your nose/face, cover your mouth/nose when you cough or sneeze) but the current media hysteria is a bit overdone if you consider how influenza is relatively ignored but will likely kill more people.
chrisk03151.50
lab_rat394.50
BMWZ41899.50
Humdizzle6018.00
      03-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #20
damianbmw12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240xi & 2004 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Quote:
It's all ridiculous.

People are stupid, 38% of recent poll respondents would refuse to drink Corona beer or virus fears
More for me
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #21
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Quote:
It's all ridiculous.

I think its funny that people think reverse osmosis water is gonna help them fight the virus. If they were smart they'd be buying pedialyte and drink water that isn't stripped of all the minerals that will help give your body what it needs fight off a virus like this.
KevM2718.50
      03-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #22
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's all ridiculous.

I think its funny that people think reverse osmosis water is gonna help them fight the virus. If they were smart they'd be buying pedialyte and drink water that isn't stripped of all the minerals that will help give your body what it needs fight off a virus like this.
That's why I have Himalayan salt along with my reverse osmo
Appreciate 2
RL18270.50
Closed Thread