BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #67
Capt Crunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
I wish BMW worked with Apple on the iDrive and Navigation interface.
CarPlay? I use mine exclusively.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #68
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

A part (for me) in owning a car is having a key for just that car.

Don't want my iphone to be my carkey.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      03-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #69
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
No different to losing your car keys? In fact, it may only unlock the car with safe recognition or fingerprint so perhaps more secure than a key fob.
It's different. With the remote car fob key, you leave it in your pocket all the time. But you often take your phone out to use for calls, texting, using apps, surfing, games, email, etc., so there's a much greater chance to lose the phone than the key. Oftentimes I see people leave their phones on top of tables at restaurants or even use in public washrooms. At the end of the day, it's a matter of risk tolerance vs. convenience.

As for only being able to unlock your car with fingerprint recognition or face recognition, that's extra steps (i.e., (1) take the key out of pocket/purse, (2) tap your fingerprint on the home button or punch in the password... etc.) steps not needed with the key fob that stays in the pocket/purse. And then when the fingerprint recognition fails that makes it even more frustrating! These extra steps doesn't make using the phone any more convenient than an old fashion car key of the old days.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      03-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #70
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
I am all for convenience, but now if my phone is stolen in a restaurant, mall, etc... I am guessing I won't be seeing my car outside anymore either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtwo View Post
Not sure why so many BMW owners are against more tech incorporation into cars.

Presumably this will use FaceID so if your phone is stolen, unless they can break into that, they won't be able to access your car.
I see only 1 change resistor on this thread. The rest are simply pointing out the challenges of using the phone as the car key fob, which is a legitimate discussion. There are both pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #71
Jahwrk
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
I am all for convenience, but now if my phone is stolen in a restaurant, mall, etc... I am guessing I won't be seeing my car outside anymore either.
I'm sure your phone has to be unlocked for this
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #72
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwrk View Post
I beleive this too, but it's not what the article is stating.

Quote:
BMW drivers, for example, could unlock and start their car with Wireless CarPlay automatically initiated all without taking their iPhone out of the bag or pocket.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #73
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
I beleive this too, but it's not what the article is stating.
But just like losing your keys, someone would have to: 1. Get your phone. 2. Figure out that you owned a car that the phone could unlock. 3. Find that car and get close enough to unlock it.

Do you really lose your phone that often? And if you do, do you not notice for hours on end?
      03-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #74
Alluri
India
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 & F16

Quote:
Phone has to be Un locked before un licking the car !
      03-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #75
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwrk View Post
So instead of keyless entry where I never touch anything besides the door handle I instead take my phone out of my pocket unlock it and then get in the car? I can't see this being better.

My BMW is older my Cadillac has a key fob. If the battery in the key fob or the car battery dies I pull the hidden key out of the fob, pull the cover off of the handle (comes off easy), then open the door. Go through process to start car if key fob is dead, if car battery is dead I jump it. Future will have me standing next to the car when my phone is lost or dead or if the car battery is dead. How do you get in this car when there is a complete electrical failure? Assuming any trip I better carry the key fob?

Surprising as it might be, I often go places without my phone, this includes the gym and my running group and possibly a stop on the way there or back. Likely hard to believe for most.
      03-31-2020, 11:40 AM   #76
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
So instead of keyless entry where I never touch anything besides the door handle I instead take my phone out of my pocket unlock it and then get in the car? I can't see this being better.

My BMW is older my Cadillac has a key fob. If the battery in the key fob or the car battery dies I pull the hidden key out of the fob, pull the cover off of the handle (comes off easy), then open the door. Go through process to start car if key fob is dead, if car battery is dead I jump it. Future will have me standing next to the car when my phone is lost or dead or if the car battery is dead. How do you get in this car when there is a complete electrical failure? Assuming any trip I better carry the key fob?

Surprising as it might be, I often go places without my phone, this includes the gym and my running group and possibly a stop on the way there or back. Likely hard to believe for most.
With our other cars we use this as a second option. Need to get something out of the car but don't want to get my key, luckily have my phone on me. There were times I accidentally took my wife's key, and she was able to use her phone to turn on the car and drive.

It's just another option.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #77
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I guess you could still have a physical key for the case of the dead battery (phone or car) and use NFC or RFID to do what current transponders do for security, just add the phone unlock as an extra option. So I don't really see the new problems it introduces.

However I don't really see what problem it solves otherwise. With modern keyless access we don't have to get the key fob out of our bag/pocket to open and start the car. You would still need to carry the fob for the odd case your phone dies/falls into the toilet/stolen. So what's the point of having a phone app that does the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #78
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I guess you could still have a physical key for the case of the dead battery (phone or car) and use NFC or RFID to do what current transponders do for security, just add the phone unlock as an extra option. So I don't really see the new problems it introduces.

However I don't really see what problem it solves otherwise. With modern keyless access we don't have to get the key fob out of our bag/pocket to open and start the car. You would still need to carry the fob for the odd case your phone dies/falls into the toilet/stolen. So what's the point of having a phone app that does the same thing?
I for one would prefer to leave the bulky fob at home and just use my phone. Why carry extra crap when I can consolidate down.

If you review the connected car consortium site, industry group of auto manufacturers and tech companies (think: same purpose as the group that's works on WiFi standards to ensure all devices of different brands work together), the tech will evolve shortly to function just like the key fob does. Leave it in pocket and go about your business, it will replace the need for a fob.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #79
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Love this feature on my Tesla and would never go back.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #80
TheM3Boy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Finally!

I was able to graduate from a physical debit card to an APP, many years ago..

It's about time BMW & Apple jumped on the bandwagon and develop an exclusive NFC digital key technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Your low battery gives me anxiety
Now they are saying that the Express Transit Card technology would be used to allow the Carkey feature to continue working even if the device has ran out of battery.
Hopefully that will help with the anxiety issues
Appreciate 0