BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #551
gonerogue
FWD hoon
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
The M3's DCT was run in full automaic mode because of a software issue when they ran the test. So yes, the M3 was an automatic.

I am not confusing anything. Others have claimed that the GT 5.0 will be faster than the one in the video we just watched, hence it will crush the M3.

I say BS. The video shows a car that is better put against the M3 in GTS trim than the handicapped M3 that it is being compared to.

Again, what is the laptime of the GT 5.0, showroom stock, at VIR Grand West with a slushbox tranny?

T
The M3 came back to the Lightning Lap test for a second try and ran the 3:05.4 time: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...3a05.4_page_13 . They note that sometimes the DCT was reluctant to downshift and required attention to detail, but nowhere is it mentioned that it ran in "full automatic mode" for that second lightning lap. A slushbox time of the GT 5.0 around VIR is not going to be an accurate comparison.

IMO, there is no way that a GT 5.0 will be faster than a GT500 with SVT package. The handling on the GT500 is greatly improved and it has a huge HP advantage over the GT 5.0, while only adding a couple hundred pounds. I would like to see if Ford comes out with a street-legal version of the Boss 302 racecar, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #552
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonerogue View Post
Didn't know they made an automatic M3...

You're calling out an "automatic" M3 (DCT is faster than 6MT, BTW),confusing the GT500 for the GT 5.0, and ignoring the fact that this is a SVT package GT500. The SVT package is pretty extensive, but I don't see any mention of bucket seats here: http://www.mustangblog.com/blog/1042...ackage-details.

Considering the handling improvement of the GT500 and it's huge HP advantage over the M3 on a track with long straights, I don't think it's a long shot that a GT500 SVT package can outgun the M3.

I'd love to see how the GT500's Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 tires stack up to the PS2s and Contis on the M3. They are brand new and I haven't seen any reviews. Equalizing the shoes on all participants or at least being aware of the differences is important when comparing lap times. For example, Falken was able to squeeze a full second out of a Mustang and 370Z at the Streets of Willow with their new RT615-K compared with the previous RT615.

It's hard to compare lap times of different drivers in different conditions, anyway, so we'll always be bench racing even after the cars hit C&D lightning lap

Even in light of the MPG crisis, it's a great time to be a car nut. We're comparing Mustangs with "1M" and M3s, for crying outloud! This kind of competition can only breed more awesome cars and I hope the Japanese throw their hat back into the mix.

More GT500 SVT goodies: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...00-review.html
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #553
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

I second all of your opinions in this argument, and only one person stated that they were perplexed as to how a 5.0 would beat the GT500, which I corrected.

Quote:
The M3 came back to the Lightning Lap test for a second try and ran the 3:05.4 time: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...3a05.4_page_13 . They note that sometimes the DCT was reluctant to downshift and required attention to detail, but nowhere is it mentioned that it ran in "full automatic mode" for that second lightning lap. A slushbox time of the GT 5.0 around VIR is not going to be an accurate comparison.

IMO, there is no way that a GT 5.0 will be faster than a GT500 with SVT package. The handling on the GT500 is greatly improved and it has a huge HP advantage over the GT 5.0, while only adding a couple hundred pounds. I would like to see if Ford comes out with a street-legal version of the Boss 302 racecar, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #554
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Even in light of the MPG crisis, it's a great time to be a car nut. We're comparing Mustangs with "1M" and M3s, for crying outloud! This kind of competition can only breed more awesome cars and I hope the Japanese throw their hat back into the mix.
Yes, it is still a good time to be a car nut, and competition is always a good thing. Not everyone seems to understand that though and I have no idea why. I do wonder what the next decade holds for such performance cars as well. Will manufacturers meet their fleet mileage and emissions requirements solely on their non performance cars via smaller engines, diesels, and hybrid drivetrains? Or will we see more technology applied to performance vehicles like the BMW Vision Efficient Dynamics and Porsche 918 Spyder suggest? While these two examples are both high $ and concepts at the moment, I'm sure we'll see such technology slowly trickle down to ordinary performance cars like the M3 and Mustang GT/GT500.
      06-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #555
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

So I am entertaining this idea. The M1 out the door with option is going to be in the high fifties. I bet the GTR can be had in low 60s in couple years. The allure of driving a GTR is quite appealing to me.

I know I will never be as good of a driver to launch a 6spd MT RWD to achieve consistent good times. The GTR on the other hand will do it consistently time over time (if the stock tranny doesn't give out first.) That and AWD will make me look like a driving god :P
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #556
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
So I am entertaining this idea. The M1 out the door with option is going to be in the high fifties. I bet the GTR can be had in low 60s in couple years. The allure of driving a GTR is quite appealing to me.

I know I will never be as good of a driver to launch a 6spd MT RWD to achieve consistent good times. The GTR on the other hand will do it consistently time over time (if the stock tranny doesn't give out first.) That and AWD will make me look like a driving god :P
Ummm, are you going to drag race stop light to stop light or put some twisties in the mix?

The AWD will not help unless there are adverse conditions, plus you have to already know how to drive at the limit for it to help any.

Sounds like the Mustang might be a better fit.

T
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #557
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Ummm, are you going to drag race stop light to stop light or put some twisties in the mix?

The AWD will not help unless there are adverse conditions, plus you have to already know how to drive at the limit for it to help any.

Sounds like the Mustang might be a better fit.

T
He just said a AWD car will be more consistent than a RWD car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #558
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I think awd drive will be safer and easier to drive for me. Definitely not going to drive my car at the limit, even in a closed area. Since my 135i I have been driving rwd exclusively and really I don't push any of my car aggressive enough to take advantage of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #559
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
He just said a AWD car will be more consistent than a RWD car.
Doing launches not handling.

T
Appreciate 0