BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #45
hellrotm
Major General
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
"Disgusted" You and wife are either cold hearted sociopaths or deluded - illegal border crossings are likely lower than it has ever been in your lifetimes! You should be more concerned about a Hall-n-Oates comeback.
You live in the wrong part of town.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/1...sanctuary-law/
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #46
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
"Disgusted" You and wife are either cold hearted sociopaths or deluded - illegal border crossings are likely lower than it has ever been in your lifetimes! You should be more concerned about a Hall-n-Oates comeback.

* Illegals are at their lowest point since 1971
* we're at max employment
* Your landscaping is super cheap!

and personally I don't give a shit since the US lacks workers for these roles. come on over I say! Hell, that's what my family did, I'm not a native American (you're probably not either) ... why would we bitch others want to follow our lead? Come and build our country! Bring me your tired and poor I say.
This down-with-brown fear is laughably ridiculous also sad, but "disgusted".
My landscaping is super cheap

Like I said, I know the majority of illegals in this country are hard workers and want a better life for their families but you're forgetting about all the ones that come here that are gang affiliated along with smuggling drugs. Not documenting and checking each person that wants to live in our country is not smart. CA has gone a step further and lets criminals run free and helps them get away from ICE. That's putting American citizens lives at risk. It's bullshit and these politicians should pay the price. I'm not against immigrants, I'm all for people coming here but I want them to do it the right way just like many immigrants have.

04-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #47
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
That's a good idea but the left calls that slavery.
remember when they used to stamp license plates,make military supplies, park benches & tables?
Appreciate 1
Delta03116818.50

04-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #48
James Satzinger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40

Response to California's Red Ripple

The solution to our undocumented worker problem is far from easy, sanctuary provided or not.
It is clear though that we would be lost without the labor provided by these workers in agriculture, food service, hospitality, landscape maintenance and construction industries - oh, and auto maintenance and repair.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #49
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Satzinger View Post
The solution to our undocumented worker problem is far from easy, sanctuary provided or not.
It is clear though that we would be lost without the labor provided by these workers in agriculture, food service, hospitality, landscape maintenance and construction industries - oh, and auto maintenance and repair.
Sadly, that's true.
      04-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #50
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Cities/Counties opting out of California's sanctuary law and joining the U.S. Justice Department/Trump administration lawsuit against California:

Los Alamitos
Hesperia
Orange County
Mission Viejo
Huntington Beach
Escondido
Fountain Valley
Aliso Viejo
Orange
Newport Beach
Westminster
San Juan Capistrano
San Diego County (largest county so far to back the lawsuit)

Plenty more to join soon I'm sure.
      04-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #51
rlmesq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
All these dreamers, who have gone thru school and become professional, ESPECIALLY the lawyers, amaze me that they just flaunt that they have never assimilated or made an effort to become law-abiding citizens.
WHUCK? Dreamers were brought here as children. Many didn't even realize they weren't citizens until they were older and applied for admission to colleges.

That's about as assimilated as you get. Due to the way they arrived and their undocumented presence, there is no clear path for them to become citizens, as much as they would like to. That's the whole point of DACA.

I helped a young Ukranian college student a few years ago. He was brought to the USA as an infant... but, unlike dreamers, his parents came legally. Still, he was in a legal limbo because, when his parents became citizens, he was too old to get citizenship with them, but too young to apply for himself.

He got arrested while working as a photographer for his campus newspaper. An officer claimed he was interfering with an arrest by taking multiple flash pictures. The District Attorney and I examined his camera and found that it could inadvertently emit flashes as part of the auto-focus function, even when it was turned off, so the DA decided not to file charges.

My young client received several awards from journalistic organizations. When he called a few years later, hoping the DA would write a letter explaining his arrest as part of the naturalization process, the DA was delighted to help him.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #52
rlmesq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
CA has gone a step further and lets criminals run free and helps them get away from ICE. That's putting American citizens lives at risk.
People who have convictions for 800+ crimes and open arrest warrants are specifically exempted from California sanctuary protections.

The whole point of the law was to prevent exploitation. Members of immigrant communities -- whether or not they are documented -- are much more likely to be victims of violent crimes like human trafficking, extortion, witness intimidation and gang violence. They are also witnesses to crimes like murder and drug trafficking.

Sanctuary status makes it safe for victims and witnesses to cooperate with law enforcement, instead of hiding in fear that they or their family members might be arrested and deported.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #53
rlmesq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Id be equally horrified if 20 million Canadians swarmed us from the North, insisting on "free" healthcare.
Why would anyone come to the USA looking for healthcare if they were already in a country that provides universal healthcare... like every other Western democracy?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #54
Mr Carrots
Major
Rep
Drives: Blown 5.0 and an X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Why would anyone come to the USA looking for healthcare if they were already in a country that provides universal healthcare... like every other Western democracy?
Appreciate 2
SakhirM49200.50
lakefront161.50

04-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #55
rlmesq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
I don't think California can ever be republican!
Did you miss Ronald Reagan as governor and Richard Nixon as US Senator?

Reagan, Nixon and Gerald Ford all won Califonia's electoral votes when they ran for president.(Nixon even won California in 1960, when he lost to Kennedy, and Ford won California when Jimmy Carter won the election.)

There have been more Republican governors since Reagan: George Deukmejian, Pete Wilson, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. There have only been two Democrats: Jerry Brown and Gray Davis. Brown served two terms, but was able to run again because term limits went into effect after he was out of office. Davis was recalled a year into his second term; Arnold won the special election to serve the three year balance of his term, and elected to serve another full term.

Deukmejian and Wilson both served two full terms.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #56
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
My landscaping is super cheap

Like I said, I know the majority of illegals in this country are hard workers and want a better life for their families but you're forgetting about all the ones that come here that are gang affiliated along with smuggling drugs. Not documenting and checking each person that wants to live in our country is not smart. CA has gone a step further and lets criminals run free and helps them get away from ICE. That's putting American citizens lives at risk. It's bullshit and these politicians should pay the price. I'm not against immigrants, I'm all for people coming here but I want them to do it the right way just like many immigrants have.
The first part of this post is awesome, the 2nd part ... undoes the first x2.

See the real issues here are:

(1.) States rights vs tyranny of the federal government

(2.) Voluntarily giving away your 4th Amendment Constitutional protections

Republicans used to believe in state's-rights over federal rights, and protecting the US Constitution (all of it, not just the 2nd); now they're the party of a big powerful expensive federal government with the power to suspend Constitutional restrictions on federal power.

Did you know:

* At US Ports of Entry, federal authorities don't need a search warrant or even suspicion to conduct a "routine search" or you, your belongings, your electronics, or your vehicle.

* That authority (mostly) extends to anywhere in the US within 100 miles of any "external boundary". For example, the border patrol could stop your car if they had a "reasonable suspicion" at the entrance to your neighborhood, search you, and grab your wife's boobs everyday if they want.

We all just have to trust that they're properly trained when, where, and how to use their power ... and that they don't get more powers. Our country's founder's didn't believe in that trust, which is why they wrote the Constitution.

So the net-net is,

we're at a 46 year low (according to the border patrol! Like that's their best fudge) - this ain't a big issue

And fighting to give away your state's rights and Constitutional protections is just downright stupid.

Just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #57
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
Actually I do know and it was the conflict called the "Mexican/American War" and not its predecessor conflict associated with the battles of the Alamo and San Jacinto that transferred California, Arizona, parts of Texas and New Mexico to the United States by treaty.
You may wish to research how the Mexican/American war started-pretty much like the Gulf of Tonkin incident during the Viet Nam era except we crossed the border of Mexico via the Rio Grande after sparking a deliberate incident.
So are you going to answer the question or will you just continue on with the virtue signaling shit talk? When are you going to give up your home in Orange County to a Mexican family in order to right this wrong?
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #58
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Quote:
Hahaha... they already do and have been coming here for years because it is "better" even though they pay.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #59
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
WHUCK? Dreamers were brought here as children. Many didn't even realize they weren't citizens until they were older and applied for admission to colleges.

That's about as assimilated as you get. Due to the way they arrived and their undocumented presence, there is no clear path for them to become citizens, as much as they would like to. That's the whole point of DACA.

I helped a young Ukranian college student a few years ago. He was brought to the USA as an infant... but, unlike dreamers, his parents came legally. Still, he was in a legal limbo because, when his parents became citizens, he was too old to get citizenship with them, but too young to apply for himself.

He got arrested while working as a photographer for his campus newspaper. An officer claimed he was interfering with an arrest by taking multiple flash pictures. The District Attorney and I examined his camera and found that it could inadvertently emit flashes as part of the auto-focus function, even when it was turned off, so the DA decided not to file charges.

My young client received several awards from journalistic organizations. When he called a few years later, hoping the DA would write a letter explaining his arrest as part of the naturalization process, the DA was delighted to help him.
There was some expose about a lawyer, hired at the state level. She was PROUD that she had flaunted any effort to become a legalized citizen. Not that she couldn't follow the rules of law, and become.

It's not THAT difficult if its important to you. Again, my wife came here illegally, about age 12. Before she completed high school she was an American citizen.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #60
rlmesq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There was some expose about a lawyer, hired at the state level.
Do you mean Lizbeth Mateo? The president of the state senate issued a press release about her appointment to an advisory committee on student aid.

That's not exactly what I'd call an exposť, which requires some sort of investigative journalism to uncover... although I'm sure some Facebook click-bait articles made it sound like they cracked some sort of big secret.

Quote:
She was PROUD that she had flaunted any effort to become a legalized citizen. Not that she couldn't follow the rules of law, and become.
I haven't seen any legitimate news source that says she "flaunted any effort to become a legalized citizen." She did leave the USA and return, which makes her ineligible for DACA (for what that's worth now), and some articles say she flaunted her immigration status as an activist.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...tizenship.html

Quote:
It's not THAT difficult if its important to you. Again, my wife came here illegally, about age 12. Before she completed high school she was an American citizen.
Timing matters. At this point, the few paths to citizenship are available to undocumented people in unusual positions, like refugees and victims of domestic violence.

In the past, there have been amnesty programs, like the Simpson–Mazzoli Act in 1986, which granted citizenship to people who entered before 1982, but Moreno wasn't even born in 1982.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #61
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
You're the one who doesn't know...
Actually I do know and it was the conflict called the "Mexican/American War" and not its predecessor conflict associated with the battles of the Alamo and San Jacinto that transferred California, Arizona, parts of Texas and New Mexico to the United States by treaty.
You may wish to research how the Mexican/American war started-pretty much like the Gulf of Tonkin incident during the Viet Nam era except we crossed the border of Mexico via the Rio Grande after sparking a deliberate incident.
Uhhhh... you mean:

- after the Mexicans fought to break away from Spain in 1821?

- after the Mexicans invited the European settlers to move into Texas, because they couldn't fight off the Indians, who were killing the Mexicans in the Texas territory?

- and then the Europeans fought the Mexicans, and broke off to create their own Republic of Texas?

- which the later joined the US?

- and the butt-hurt Mexicans decided years later that they were jealous, and invaded the now-US land?

- which resulted in them getting their asses kicked?

- and the generous US government, in the 1840's, paid Mexico $18M for the land, when they had already won it?

Are you speaking of this? Did you have a point?
      04-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #62
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Satzinger View Post
I call BS. The social cost of illegals (funded by taxpayers) vastly outweighs the benefit of cheap labor; it's nothing more than Corporate Welfare.