BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
1ster
Large Member
1ster's Avatar
94
Rep
939
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

Sold Before They Hit Dealer Lots

This is Autoblog quoting Automotive News, but I thought this was interesting:
Enthusiasts have already made their voice heard on the 'Net, with over 100,000 people signing up for updates on the 1-series through BMW's website. The automaker is hoping that interest will turn into preorders, and is expecting that a high percentage of 1-series coupes will already be sold before they hit dealers this spring.
Doesn't sound like BMW expects these things to be as ubiquitous as the 3-Series, at least not initially. But do not worry! I'm sure there will be plenty of Tahiti Green cars left over for those expecting a big discount.:tongue:

The more information that comes out, the happier I am that I got on the waiting list early.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
joelk's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,681
Posts

Drives: Space Gray E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

of course these things will be as common as 3 series eventually ... but imho they are gonna be slow to ramp up ... whether intentional or due to production limitations. i suspect the first few months will have limited availability. my dealer said he expected to be able to sell his entire year's allocation without having any sitting on the lot ... i'm not sure i'd go that far but close.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
SCA
Brigadier General
SCA's Avatar
United_States
410
Rep
3,683
Posts

Drives: Multiple BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 🇺🇸

iTrader: (0)

If BMW NA is unrealistic with pricing then things will swing a different direction.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
147
Rep
1,140
Posts

Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
of course these things will be as common as 3 series eventually ... but imho they are gonna be slow to ramp up ... whether intentional or due to production limitations. i suspect the first few months will have limited availability. my dealer said he expected to be able to sell his entire year's allocation without having any sitting on the lot ... i'm not sure i'd go that far but close.
I go along with this train of thought to the extent that there won't be a lot of 1-ers around early on...
but once the first adopters start tooling around in the 1-er coupe I think the sales demand will be huge.
I think that because of the 1-er's exquisite timing into the market. There is nothing quite like it in its class...well, actually it almost defines its class of small, sporty, with the cache of a premium German manufacturer.
What I expect to see in 2-3 years out past initial intro is a lot of 1-er coupes and 1-er wannabe's.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
OniKoroshi
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: 08 535i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Like others keep saying, it all comes down to pricing. Price it reasonably and the 128's will flew off the shelves and the enthusiasts / people that always have to have the top of the line model will pick up the 135's. If they price it too close to the 3 series I'm sure most people would rather pay a little more for the larger 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
GAL
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (0)

I'm really glad to see a great deal of interested in the 1 series BMW. However the price breakpoint for each model will be the deciding factor on sales generated. I personally believe the the 128i will start in the $28,000.00 range and the high end 135i could sell for around $36-38,000. depending on equipment. Now don't get upset there may be some out there that might get a 135i with minimal equipment for around $34-35,000. But the starting point is going to tell the story. The $28,000.00, I guess will be the starting point, base on UK pricing right now, may be a bit much for some to swallow. Deals on this car will be limited until market demand is met. I really forsee the market demand met on the 135i before the 128i, more people will be in the market for the most economical 1 series they can afford. I truely believe this car will be a great success, but only if price points and demand coinside. We will see how it all turns out, my guess is that most 128i's will run between $28,000.00 and $30,000.00, and 135i's will run $35,000.00 and $38,000.00. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
1ster
Large Member
1ster's Avatar
94
Rep
939
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL View Post
I really forsee the market demand met on the 135i before the 128i, more people will be in the market for the most economical 1 series they can afford.
I disagree, if for no other reason than that 128is will be much more common than 135is. More demand? Maybe, but also more supply.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
GAL
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (0)

The reason I said what I did was that most of the people that will be purchasing the 1 series will be looking for the most economical car, hence the 128i. Yes like you said more demand, hence the market activity will be stronger and longer on the 128i , which means the activity on the 135i will be satisified sooner, the market will be satified sooner on the 135i, less buyers than the 128i. It has always worked that way with new car models since I been buying them for 40 years. The cars, like the last Camaro SS, the market was satisfied sooner than the base 6 cylinder Camaro model. More people could afford the cheaper model. That is why I say the market demand will be ment sooner on 135i than the 128i.More people will be buying the 128i for mostly montary reasons, so sales will be higher longer than the 135i. Take another analogy, the market on my M5 was met alot sooner than a 535 sedan, why because not to many people want a $88,000.00 sedan. So the demand or market for my M5 was met before the 535 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
kurichan
Mr. Happy
6
Rep
479
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

Hype.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
1ster
Large Member
1ster's Avatar
94
Rep
939
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL View Post
Yes like you said more demand, hence the market activity will be stronger and longer on the 128i , which means the activity on the 135i will be satisified sooner, the market will be satified sooner on the 135i, less buyers than the 128i.
Not trying to be difficult, but I just don't agree with your economic analysis. Yes, demand will be lower for the 135i, but so will supply. Mustang GTs don't sell for a greater discount than the V6; there are simply fewer of them produced, so supply and demand balance each other out. If anything, performance models tend to be discounted less than standard models, over the life of the car, because manufacturers tend not to overproduce them. It's not like there are ten guys waiting around to buy 135is, and once they buy them nobody else will be interested. Demand for the 135i will remain strong throughout the life of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #11
Lips
First Lieutenant
15
Rep
363
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

I agree, it is similar to the deals most car companys offer on entry cars. The bigger engine models are usually always in high demand because the supply of them is less. Thus they are able to sell the car without discounting it.

Lips
__________________
2005 G35 Coupe Lakeshore Slate
2007 Mazda MX-5 Galaxy Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
22
Rep
1,071
Posts

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Not trying to be difficult, but I just don't agree with your economic analysis. Yes, demand will be lower for the 135i, but so will supply. Mustang GTs don't sell for a greater discount than the V6; there are simply fewer of them produced, so supply and demand balance each other out. If anything, performance models tend to be discounted less than standard models, over the life of the car, because manufacturers tend not to overproduce them. It's not like there are ten guys waiting around to buy 135is, and once they buy them nobody else will be interested. Demand for the 135i will remain strong throughout the life of the car.
While I understand what you are trying to say, you are making a big assumption that "demand for the 135i will remain strong throughout the life of the car." We have very little information to make a conclusion like that. Additionally, it is important to understand that supply and demand have nothing to do with each other; meaning that supply does not affect demand, demand does not affect supply. Regardless of the supply of 135is, the demand for 135is remains the same (assuming everything else is held constant).
__________________

In the garage: 2007 MINI Cooper S

WARNING: What you have read is an opinion. Yours will differ.


Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
1ster
Large Member
1ster's Avatar
94
Rep
939
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Additionally, it is important to understand that supply and demand have nothing to do with each other; meaning that supply does not affect demand, demand does not affect supply.
Agreed, but demand does affect production allocation. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
22
Rep
1,071
Posts

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Agreed, but demand does affect production allocation. :wink:
Only in the very long term. In extremely efficient markets, this would be partially true but production allocation must be determined far before BMW or any company receives sales figures.
__________________

In the garage: 2007 MINI Cooper S

WARNING: What you have read is an opinion. Yours will differ.


Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST