BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
1 Series TPM?

Does anyone know how the Tire Pressure Monitor on the 1 works? Is it done with sensors inside the wheel (the way it used to be done) or calculation via the ABS sensor somehow?
      11-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

The passive TPMS systems that worked off the ABS sensors are first generation archaic obsolete crap. Those systems looked for differences in rotational speed among tires based on the theory that an underinflated tire would have a slightly smaller diameter than a properly inflated one and therefore rotate faster. Too many things can affect the accuracy of that type of system, and they are no longer implemented in modern cars.

TPMS is a very interesting, and deceptively complex topic and the technology is really in its infancy at this point in time. There's many potential problems that still need to be adressed, and criticisms such as the 25% underinflation threshold being too great. Here's a link to an online tire industry trade journal quickly touching on just some of the issues...

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/t_pr...t&storyID=1290

I'd personally like to see a user programmable TPMS system allowing you to at least set the trigger point to your needs/preference.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

It will be like current bimmers, inside the rim attached to the valve.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

I find TPMS unecessary and just another thing to shell out $$$ for if you get a flat. If you hit a pot hole and get a flat, you could EASILY ruin the TPMS sensor and getting that replaced/recalibrated will be just as much as a new tire and mounting/balancing.

I have eyes, that is my current tire pressure monitoring system. I just wish they could come up with a system that wasnt so vulnerable to damage (= more $$$) in the event of a flat.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

its not that vulnerable to damage. theyre really small and flat against the rim. You have a better chance of breaking by changing them from rim to rim. I love my TPMS sensors on my 328i.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
plexiglass
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

You can thank the ford explorer.

The TPM were really pushed for the US after the Ford Explorer's tire failures "caused" the thing to roll over.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

From what I understand, in-wheel TPMS are now federally mandated for all new vehicles. Yes plexiglass, I'm sure it was driven by tire blowouts on Explorers [and nothing to do with negligent drivers never checking their pressures and having an affinity for yanking on the steering wheel the instant their tires blow]. The r-tards!
      11-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

i'm a tech for toyota have been for a few years now, the only gripe i have with TPMS is during the season changes, in the last 3 weeks i have had atleast 100 or so customers come in and complain that there tire pressure light is on, turns out that all the tire pressures are low cause it's getting colder outside so i have to fill them up and reset there light for nothing..... that's my only gripe. the new systems work great and the only time you are going to damage a sensor is if you decide to use fix-a-flat to repair a tire or you break it while the tire is being installed or removed. i have never seen a tire pressure sensor break because of a tire blow out, the sensor is well protected by the rim and you really would need to be trying to climb rocks with your flat tire before it would touch the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I am insane about checking my tire pressure

More than likely I will get my tires filled with Nitrogen anyways.
      11-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiieustyle View Post
i'm a tech for toyota have been for a few years now, the only gripe i have with TPMS is during the season changes, in the last 3 weeks i have had atleast 100 or so customers come in and complain that there tire pressure light is on, turns out that all the tire pressures are low cause it's getting colder outside so i have to fill them up and reset there light for nothing.....
Isn't that the whole point though? Their tire pressure needed to be checked, so why did they bring the car into the dealer? Why are they complaining?

I don't see this as a gripe, but as a benifit, their will be less idiots on the road driving at 80mph with 10 psi underinflated tires...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

These systems are a "great idea" for the masses of drivers that don't pay enough attention to check their own tire pressures (i.e. not like car enthusiasts that read forums like this one) or to know when they have a flat tire. I can't count how many idiots I see every day driving around with one or more tires that are 10-20 psi low... especially the first day after the weather changes from warm to cold.

These tire pressure systems have downsides, especially the ones that measure pressure directly inside the wheels (the only ones that really measure tire pressure, not relative wheel speed interpolations). There are wireless pressure transducers mounted to the rim and/or valve stem that are 1) heavy, 2) fragile, and 3) expensive to replace. Its easy to mix up their location (tire rotations), and tire stores charge a premium to swap tires on rims equipped with them (because its very easy to break them).

On cars where the OEM wheels have been removed/changed, there are rumors of some models that if the signals are missing the ECM notices and thinks you are on 4 flat tires, and limits engine parameters. This is a rumor only, and not applicable to all cars. I've personally owned 2 cars with these systems ('05 Corvette Z51 and '05 RX8) that were used with aftermarket wheels/R compound tires, and it just turned a light on the dash and didn't hurt performance.

Something to think about tho. If its optional, don't get them. If they come with the factory wheels, well, great. Just replace those wheels when you can. :biggrin: Most BMWs come with skinny front tires, and Run-Crap model tires anyway - which are the worst tires ever made for performance enthusiasts. Again, they are for the cluless masses that are too stupid to know when they get a flat and too lazy to change to a spare when they do. Not like people here.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelthy View Post
Isn't that the whole point though? Their tire pressure needed to be checked, so why did they bring the car into the dealer? Why are they complaining?

I don't see this as a gripe, but as a benifit, their will be less idiots on the road driving at 80mph with 10 psi underinflated tires...

i'm guessing you have never been a tech. my gripe is it takes me approx 15-20minutes checking these systems out and resetting there lights. there not there for anything else just the light, so when it's doen and gone i just worked for free. that's my gripe, in 20 minutes i can have a 3hr timing belt in and done and get paid 3 hrs for it...... i get paid by commision basically, so if job say's it takes 3 hours to do and i finish it it 20 minutes then i get paid 3 hrs this also works if i take longer on a job i still get paid the same either way i get paid. people coming in and wasting my time with a tire pressure light that 90% of the time is the customers fault is a pain in the bung hole, if people would mearly check there tire pressures like there supposed to my day would be alot easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiieustyle View Post
i'm guessing you have never been a tech. my gripe is it takes me approx 15-20minutes checking these systems out and resetting there lights. there not there for anything else just the light, so when it's doen and gone i just worked for free. that's my gripe, in 20 minutes i can have a 3hr timing belt in and done and get paid 3 hrs for it...... i get paid by commision basically, so if job say's it takes 3 hours to do and i finish it it 20 minutes then i get paid 3 hrs this also works if i take longer on a job i still get paid the same either way i get paid. people coming in and wasting my time with a tire pressure light that 90% of the time is the customers fault is a pain in the bung hole, if people would mearly check there tire pressures like there supposed to my day would be alot easier.
I am a computer technician, so I know where you are coming from. I get complaints from my clients when they get a notification that their antivirus software needs attention. 95% of the time, it is because it expired. Click on the link and put in your credit card I tell them... Pretty easy, but I am glad to get the call (even though it is frustrating at the same time), because I know that it means their computer will be protected, therefore saving me an even bigger headache later on...

I think the low-tire light falls under this same type of situation. Or even a low oil level light. Something that you don't need a technician for, but because people are not educated (or choose to be idiots), they call one...

I agree with what Fair said, I am one of those people who reads my manual for my car from cover to cover (sometimes before I get the car!), and know more about the car than the dealer (yes and even some techs :wink. But my wife and mother-in-law, always let me check their tire pressure, and oil levels, because they don't want too (at least they know how...). This summer a low tire pressure light saved my mother in law from a possible blow out, I ended up "fixing" it for her, and had to reset the light. But I would rather be troubled with that, then have to show up to change a blow out or worse.
Appreciate 0