BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
sethchan
Lieutenant
sethchan's Avatar
Sweden
9
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

What brand of snow tires for Sweden?

And what size wheels?

Seeing as we are required to wear winter tires for five months (from November 1 through March 31 in Stockholm), I would like to have some that not only perform well under the conditions but also look decent.

I'd kind of like to stick to 18-inch wheels, if I can.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
Convertible
Private First Class
Finland
12
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: FINLAND

iTrader: (1)

Hi !

Those 18" might be bad idea, as they get really thin in 1er. I have a original 18" set in the summer and the tire is very hard. I have 16" 205/50 in winter non RFT contis without spikes.
__________________
E87 120i M Sport
E87 118i
E30 M3
E30 M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
sethchan
Lieutenant
sethchan's Avatar
Sweden
9
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convertible View Post
Hi !

Those 18" might be bad idea, as they get really thin in 1er. I have a original 18" set in the summer and the tire is very hard. I have 16" 205/50 in winter non RFT contis without spikes.
I've now found out that the set that is standard here is:

Alloy wheel styling 141
Good Year Eagle DU-GW3 ROF RSC 205/50-17

So that's also a 17-inch wheel and the tires are run-flats without spikes. I don't really mind those wheels, and I've found that the consensus is that they should be 17-inches or smaller. But run-flats? I guess I can live with that, but aren't they inferior in terms of both ride and performance?

And no spikes? What's your experience with that? Aren't tires with spikes much, much grippier?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Convertible
Private First Class
Finland
12
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: FINLAND

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
I've now found out that the set that is standard here is:

Alloy wheel styling 141
Good Year Eagle DU-GW3 ROF RSC 205/50-17

So that's also a 17-inch wheel and the tires are run-flats without spikes. I don't really mind those wheels, and I've found that the consensus is that they should be 17-inches or smaller. But run-flats? I guess I can live with that, but aren't they inferior in terms of both ride and performance?

And no spikes? What's your experience with that? Aren't tires with spikes much, much grippier?
The run flats are rubbish in summer and in winter they just dont work. Winter tire's are made to be as soft they can be, but those run flats are rock hard, so you give alot of grip away if you take run flats for winter.

Spikes are very slippery when you drive on asphalt and you will have to do that 99% of the winter. Get Michelin X-Ice, Contis/gislaved or Nokia winter tyres without spikes they are really good nowdays, but make sure that you dont get "german" winter tyres, get the Q rated "scandinavia" tyres.

Ps. Heard from the news that in Sweden you will get 200 euro fine for using spikes in your tires as they distroy the asphalt. (Just like in here.)

Your ride and grip gets ten times better with non RFT tires, RFT takes out your comfort and performance.

My M3's dont have spare wheel or run flats from the factory but instead you have a mobility kit in your trunk.
__________________
E87 120i M Sport
E87 118i
E30 M3
E30 M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 02:15 AM   #5
sethchan
Lieutenant
sethchan's Avatar
Sweden
9
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Wow. Thanks very, very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convertible View Post
The run flats are rubbish in summer and in winter they just dont work. Winter tire's are made to be as soft they can be, but those run flats are rock hard, so you give alot of grip away if you take run flats for winter.

Spikes are very slippery when you drive on asphalt and you will have to do that 99% of the winter. Get Michelin X-Ice, Contis/gislaved or Nokia winter tyres without spikes they are really good nowdays, but make sure that you dont get "german" winter tyres, get the Q rated "scandinavia" tyres.

Ps. Heard from the news that in Sweden you will get 200 euro fine for using spikes in your tires as they distroy the asphalt. (Just like in here.)

Your ride and grip gets ten times better with non RFT tires, RFT takes out your comfort and performance.

My M3's dont have spare wheel or run flats from the factory but instead you have a mobility kit in your trunk.
That is incredibly useful information. Very kind of you to take the time.

I'd been reading reviews about spiked tires and had read the same thing, but always good to get a first-hand opinion from someone with similar equipment and driving conditions. I had not heard about spikes being banned. That would be a drag. The Nokians on our Volvo are just a year old and they have studs. On the other hand, we don't drive that much on actual snow in the Stockholm area, of course. Mostly it's just wet and slushy and depressing.

Thanks so much for the tips on the tire brands, models and ratings. I know what to tell my dealer now.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST