BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

Air leak under partial throttle (VIDEO)

I have an ER charge pipe, ER TIC pipe, Injen Intake, stock FMIC.

Ever since the ER charge pipe install I've had this weird whistling noise. Under partial throttle you can hear a slight whistle like air is leaking out of somewhere.

Car has never thrown a code besides P0420 (catless DP) and idles super smooth, car pulls very hard under WOT so its a minor issue, just annoying.

Had a shop do a smoke test and found a different leak that I fixed with the Injen intake.

Read forums on replacing the O-ring and making sure the pipe is completely on the TB but it doesn't appear to be (see photo) My chargepipe does wiggle and I've read it shouldn't. I replaced the O-ring but still a whistle. I tried everything to get it to sit flush on the TB but I am out of luck.

Do I have a bad charge pipe? Or what? I've heard great things about VRSF. But also heard great things about ER.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I think I recently read a different thread about this maybe where people were saying that once the car heats up, then everything expands and the Chargepipe connection seals off better.

There was also someone else that said that the correct o-ring was a little bigger.

IDK, personally I also have the ER CP, I've also noticed that it can wiggle (even if you tighten down the screw at the middle bracket), but not really had any issues with actual leaks, at least that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I think I recently read a different thread about this maybe where people were saying that once the car heats up, then everything expands and the Chargepipe connection seals off better.

There was also someone else that said that the correct o-ring was a little bigger.

IDK, personally I also have the ER CP, I've also noticed that it can wiggle (even if you tighten down the screw at the middle bracket), but not really had any issues with actual leaks, at least that I know of.
Even at full temp, it's 90 here right now, the noise is still there, definitely not as loud but still noticeable.

I did read the thread on the O-ring and some guy used a oil filter O-ring and it fixed the issue. Bought one, did seem a little bigger but didn't fix the issue.

Another guy with an ER pipe said it that it should not move AT ALL. He mentioned that it should fit directly up against the TB, clearly mine is not. I wonder how yours is.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Yeah I used the Oil Filter O Ring too. At some point I took of my charge pipe and couldn't find the damn o ring anymore so I put on oil filter one on there. I also bough like a 10 pack on amazon of the same size just in case (those saw the trash about a year ago during a random garage cleaning).

I'll take a picture of mine after work, but pretty sure it's identical to yours, a little gap there.

I admit, I haven't watched/listened to your video yet to hear the sound but I will eventually.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Sorry to post again, but I listened to your video. Actually sounds like a leaking diverter valve to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to post again, but I listened to your video. Actually sounds like a leaking diverter valve to me.
Interesting, haven't heard that suggestion yet. I'll have to dig deeper into it. Hopefully I'm able to fix it.

Ordering VRSF intercooler shortly and with that comes the lower charge pipe and I was hoping that would fix it.

EDIT: n55s are dumb, diverter valve is attached to the turbo.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, I haven't installed my DV+ from GFB just because of the pain in the ass it's going to be with draining the coolant and getting the water pump out of the way.

See this thread if you haven't already found it, there's prob more threads about this out there. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289466
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't installed my DV+ from GFB just because of the pain in the ass it's going to be with draining the coolant and getting the water pump out of the way.

See this thread if you haven't already found it, there's prob more threads about this out there. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289466
GFB is the model I was looking at, seems to be a solid product? Seems like to be the only one out there anyway.

Yeah may have to remove waterpump and thermostat again, just replaced it 10k miles ago too. I just gotta make sure its the diverter valve before I dive into that decent size project.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofis135i View Post
Quote:

GFB is the model I was looking at, seems to be a solid product? Seems like to be the only one out there anyway.

Yeah may have to remove waterpump and thermostat again, just replaced it 10k miles ago too. I just gotta make sure its the diverter valve before I dive into that decent size project.
Yeah I think the GFB is the only upgrade I know of.

Only ever heard good things. If it is your issue, the internet says you'll be able to feel a night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Only ever heard good things. If it is your issue, the internet says you'll be able to feel a night and day difference.
Shit might just upgrade it anyway, appreciate the info. I'll let ya know if that's the issue. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shit might just upgrade it anyway, appreciate the info. I'll let ya know if that's the issue. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Idk if you attempted the instal yet, I just ordered mine. Saw a thread on e90post and one dude said on the e82 models you just need to remove the mounting bolts for the water pump. Once that is done it'll move out of the way just enough to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Idk if you attempted the instal yet, I just ordered mine. Saw a thread on e90post and one dude said on the e82 models you just need to remove the mounting bolts for the water pump. Once that is done it'll move out of the way just enough to get to it.
I haven't attempted the install yet. If you can install it without disconnecting/draining the coolant that would be awesome. I recently moved into an apartment complex where I'm not allowed to work on my car so it's going to have to wait until I decide to either rent a lift, or have a shop do the install for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #13
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't attempted the install yet. If you can install it without disconnecting/draining the coolant that would be awesome. I recently moved into an apartment complex where I'm not allowed to work on my car so it's going to have to wait until I decide to either rent a lift, or have a shop do the install for me.
Went to install it yesterday but couldn't finish due to them sending me a 9358 when the box and my order says 9356.

Anyway, it's a bitch to get to but absolutely no need to drain coolant! I was so happy to figure this out. The top mounting bolt on the water pump is definitely the hardest part. Once that is able to move it's just enough space to get to it. I had to remove my fan to get to it. I can write up a DIY but looks like most people pay to have it done.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #14
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Went to install it yesterday but couldn't finish due to them sending me a 9358 when the box and my order says 9356.

Anyway, it's a bitch to get to but absolutely no need to drain coolant! I was so happy to figure this out. The top mounting bolt on the water pump is definitely the hardest part. Once that is able to move it's just enough space to get to it. I had to remove my fan to get to it. I can write up a DIY but looks like most people pay to have it done.
Damn that sucks they sent you the wrong one! Where did you order from?

Yeah a diy or a couple of pictures would be nice. What do you mean by you moved the fan to get more space? I didn't remember the radiator fan being to close, or did you come in from far away at a weird angle/with a weird tool?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn that sucks they sent you the wrong one! Where did you order from?

Yeah a diy or a couple of pictures would be nice. What do you mean by you moved the fan to get more space? I didn't remember the radiator fan being to close, or did you come in from far away at a weird angle/with a weird tool?
I ordered it off of amazon, new one was supposed to be here today but it's not.

I'll take some pictures when I go to reinstall everything and post it here. Had to move the fan to get to the top bolt, I'm pretty sure you have to without draining the coolant.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

@Dtla1
To remove the stock diverter valve you are going to need to first get the car up and remove the belly pan. Once that is off you are going to take the power steering lines, unbolt from the hanger towards the passenger side of the car and get them out of the way. I zip tied it to the cross member. Then remove the sway bar with the 4 bolt holding it onto the sub frame, I think they're 13mm or 14mm. Then you need an E12 torque socket to remove the water pump mounting bolts and an 8mm for the thermostat bolt. The bottom 2 next to the thermostat bolts are easy the one on top is where you need to take out the fan. With the fan out you can reach the top bolt (with the thermostat bolts out) and get the bolt loose. You'll have to use your hand or plies to slowly get it out but it will work. After that's out it will move out of the way and with an extension and a 3/8 drive long bit socket you can remove all 3 bolts and remove it. Also easier to put in the DV+. Then reverse to put it back together.

I'm terrible at writing DIYs so if you have any question if you do it just message me on here, or will he faster and easierS
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:24 AM   #17
je13111
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Did the diverter valve solve your issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #18
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by je13111 View Post
Did the diverter valve solve your issue?
Nah I switched from JB4 to MHD and it fixed it
Appreciate 0