BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #23
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
A couple of trends that will likely affect the decision to be first on your block or wait.

1. Declining value of the dollar.

This doesn't help the price of German cars or parts. Still, U.S. buyers get the best deals in the world on German cars - and you can always use that rationale to pull the trigger.

I am driving a new 328 wagon this weekend while my E46 is in the shop. No love for those run flats and as I have time to notice the details of this current generation 3 series, I can see the evidence of years of cost cutting measures to keep the year-to-year price about the same.

Of course, there is newer technology, simpler design, which reduces assembly time, and materials that reduce weight. Still, the sense of quality seems lower than in my E46. Oh well, time marches on!

2. Then there is the tightening of the credit markets and the likely slow down for the U.S. economy. This shifts the market in favor of the buyer, with the caveat that cash is king. Of course, local markets will vary, but one could predict now that though the 135i is going to be a very desirable car, the line of qualified buyers will be shorter in 2008 than it would have been in 2006, for example.

BMW certainly has these two macroeconomic trends well in hand and likely explains the long drum roll for the introduction of the 135i. Buyers are in the market every week. If there are going to be fewer buyers in the future then you want to start collecting potential buyers earlier to build the desired demand at the launch. Getting potential buyers to hold off making a purchase until your new model hits the show rooms accomplishes this.

A note regarding Porsches. The best way to purchase a Porsche is to get a used one that is still on warranty. Many Porsche sports cars, including the Cayman S, have low miles and are garaged most of the time. You can get a nearly new car and skip the first or second year depreciation by purchasing a used Porsche.

You might also get lucky and get a boat load of expensive Porsche options for nearly zero. It is also a buyer's market for more expensive sports cars. The next year or so will be an excellent time for deals on some excellent vehicles.

Build your cash reserves now to partake in the feeding frenzy!

Yes to everything with one caveat...I think the dollar vs Euro will continue in the short run to decline but will stabilze and actually start to gain in the next 18-24 months....due to a number of factors incl. a re-juvenated economy, investment in American companies and real-estate post-Bush/Cheney. Not politics..policy.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

onehots2k - Yeah - would you believe it starts at $60K for an S. Preferred package (as opposed to the PP+, since I'm not a fan of the Bose audio in that car) and Xenons will tack another $4K+ to the price. It ain't cheap - and that's why the 135i looks good to me - if it can come close to the performance of the S it'll be a real steal.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #25
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsites View Post
Welcome to my world. My current ride, an '05 Tacoma, has held its value well. But I continue to toy with the idea of selling it now and getting something to kick around in for the next 8 or 10 months until I get the 1er. I own the truck outright, and I don't want to lose any more equity than I already have. I'm just not sure what would be the right "interim" vehicle. It would have to be something fun to drive that is going to depreciate LESS over the next several months than the Tacoma would. That obviously means something used, and probably 10 years old or so.

How about a '95-99 E36 M3 or a '99-'00 328i? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #26
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
How about a '95-99 E36 M3 or a '99-'00 328i? :iono:
You read my mind. I have actually been half-seriously keeping my eye out for a 5 to 10 year old 3XXi. For just the 8 to 10 months I'd have it, I don't really want to mess with finding an M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #27
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Car & Driver in the September issue just hitting the stands says the 135 comes in at $33,000.

Even if they are a little wrong they won't be that far off because I think as a reputable publication they are basically taking their info from BMW N/A.

If this turns out to be true....some people on this site have made utter fools of themselves with long blathering aggressive posts. Heaps of scorn upon them for wasting everyone's time.

I suspect that's why Barry started this thread- to get away from the oppressive chatter.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #28
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Car & Driver in the September issue just hitting the stands says the 135 comes in at $33,000.

Even if they are a little wrong they won't be that far off because I think as a reputable publication they are basically taking their info from BMW N/A.

If this turns out to be true....some people on this site have made utter fools of themselves with long blathering aggressive posts. Heaps of scorn upon them for wasting everyone's time.
I suspect that's why Barry started this thread- to get away from the oppressive chatter.
I have also noticed most of the major publications predicting the 135i pricing to be in the 33k range. Even a variance of 2k is acceptable to me and, I assume, most on here. Above 35k is where things get iffy.

I am more interrested in performace and driving enjoyment than luxury. As such, I would gravitate towards the new STI and EVO if the 135i was too pricey. We'll see what happens. I'm still pissed that the EVO is going to be heavier and the STI uglier (I'm not one for hatchbacks, VW and Audi excluded).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #29
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Am I the only that's looking at the 135i as a value play against a more expensive alternative?

Here's the deal - I had been pysched up to replace the Miata with a Cayman S - had started down the road of sequestering funds to make that happen and now - boom - I catch wind of the 135i. And if they can pull off nailing the driving dynamics, the 135i could be a 'world beater'.

Is anyone else in the same boat I'm in?
Oh yea, I am definately in your boat. I just recently drove pretty much every viable competitor that this car might have when it comes out, and in my opinion, the only car that will offer the same level of performance, craftsmenship, and style will be something like the Cayman. The 335i was very competitive compared to the cars that i drove and the only two cars that I enjoyed driving more were the Boxster and new TT 2.0T. I can only imagine what the 135i will bring to the table.

I also don't really have much of a choice on my buying decision. My 525i will be 18 years old when the 135i launches and probably have close to 170k on the clock. It will be time to replace it, so really, I won't mind paying MSRP for this car if it is as good as I think it will be. Also, since I have been into this car for ~4 years now (I was pouring over spyshots of the 5-door months before it was released), I have been saving my pennies away for just this occasion.

I will probably spend up to 40K out the door, pay in cash, and plan to keep the car for quite some time all the while modding to make it into a super beast baby bimmer (eventually relegating it to weekend car status). If anybody reads European Car, I plan to make this car into something similar to their project AA turbo E36 M3, but with a bit more open track focus.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #30
crockey
Rep
Drives:

If you can be patient and not picky on options, you can get the best deal on a 135. I used to be a fellow S2000 owner (I had an 01', 02', and 04'). When the S2000 first came out, there were waiting lists and dealer mark ups. I am not sure if this will be the case with the 135, but probably will be for the first few months. I think waiting till early-mid summer will increase your chances of getting a better deal. S2000s are a dime a dozen now, and before you know it, the 135 will be as well. Just remember that when buying/negotiating your car. It is not a limited production vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #31
Panda J
Rep
Drives:

Honestly BMWNA has the price, there just trying to drum up the buzz on the 1 just like the EVO! I wish they would stop playing with my emotions!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #32
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda J View Post
I wish they would stop playing with my emotions!
It's not BMW N/A that's been playing with my emotions. For me it's been the two colors.... Montego Blue and Alpine White. :iono:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #33
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:

I've said it before...... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 03:33 AM   #34
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

All I can say is this fellow enthusiasts...

NEVER SETTLE!!! Don't get into something you're not TRULY happy with. Life is way too short for that... :drinking:
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #35
seevemonka
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325,black

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
All I can say is this fellow enthusiasts...

NEVER SETTLE!!! Don't get into something you're not TRULY happy with. Life is way too short for that... :drinking:
You have a good point.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #36
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Agreed, but price point and the feeling that you're not getting bend over a railing is also part of that "truly happy" quotient.

I got the e90 via ED on the 2nd week of US consumption. I'm tossing around the same idea with the wife for a 135i. The main problem being that it's a month colder than last ED, and we'll need warmer clothes. Hence, more space for luggage. I also have 2 teen daughters and their clothes. I really think that a 4 person ED is almost out of the question. We're still in negotiations though. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #37
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Time to bring this thread back to life in light of our recent pricing scare!

Bump!
      10-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #38
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Fractional Ownership?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 11:31 PM   #39
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

I think the best thing to do would be simply not buy one.

It would quickly become the new Z4 M Coupe...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #40
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
Fractional Ownership?
!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #41
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Again, where are people seeing $37k for a 135i? The 335i starts at $38k. They are NOT going to have the 135i only a grand or two less, thats absurd. The whole point is to have an ENTRY level model, with an entry level price. We already have heard from several sources the 128i will be under $30k. Thats means the 135i should be no more than $35k, probably right around $32-$33k.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #42
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Finally....some reality. It's a good question Barry...one I've put off really thinking about, although a friend today reminded me of some pretty sweet deals on new 3.0i Z4's.

If the 135 comes in at 37k or + I'll probably plan to hold on and wait 'til the car's been on the market for awhile and watch for some deals.
But who wants to wait?
It's a tough call.
I like your posts, Brook...you have the air of level-headedness about you. Props to the OP as well. I'm quite enamored of the 135i also but it is definitely a car I can wait for. There are plenty of rubes (no other word for it) who have justified it in their head and are literally chomping at the bit to pay way too much for this car. Anybody who's considering paying $40K for an optioned 1-series...and there are a few...cannot be taken seriously in any price discussions. I'm more than willing to let BMW fleece the "gotta have an iPhone" crowd so I can get a better price later. :smile:

Bottom line: the 135i isn't the second coming of anything and at $37K+ the value play (which is all this is) substantially fades.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #43
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
I like your posts, Brook...you have the air of level-headedness about you. Props to the OP as well. I'm quite enamored of the 135i also but it is definitely a car I can wait for. There are plenty of rubes (no other word for it) who have justified it in their head and are literally chomping at the bit to pay way too much for this car. Anybody who's considering paying $40K for an optioned 1-series...and there are a few...cannot be taken seriously in any price discussions. I'm more than willing to let BMW fleece the "gotta have an iPhone" crowd so I can get a better price later. :smile:

Bottom line: the 135i isn't the second coming of anything and at $37K+ the value play (which is all this is) substantially fades.
Yeah, Brookside is probably THE most level-headed person on here. Which makes me wonder where the hell he is. He's been incogonito for over a week(never this long before). I'm starting to get worried.
      10-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #44
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Drop him a PM Barry, he checks in from time to time.
Appreciate 0