BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
Oklahomabimmer
Rep
Drives: 135i slowly coming up

Exclamation Whole slew of problems with my 08. Misfires,oil loss, help!

So here's what I have. 102k have had it for less than one month.

Week 1. Failed water pump.
Week 3. Installed jb4. And "2$" bov mod. (DV hoses) and I unbolted the factory axle back.

So here's what's happening.

The car misfires or what feels similar to misfire under heavy acceleration. Anytime I put it into map 1 it will always start to miss fire with any acceleration past 3/8 throttle. If as soon as I feel the mis happening I let out of the throttle, it does not signal and ses lights. If I stay in the throttle it will cause a ses light to appear. Then the car will continue to have a miss at any rpm including idle. Until shutoff or codes cleared.

OBDII port does not establish connection with either of the 2 scan tools I've tried. Scan tool reads 1 cel code. "v0100" "lost connection with ecu"

DV's hoses are soaked with oil. Enough that it puddles inside the hoses.

The oil filter housing has a small cavity just to driver side front of the oil filter cap that fills with oil. Not sure where from? Yes I wiped it away and it came back.

Since installing my jb4 I randomly get a "engine malfunction" light on my screen and cluster panel. It has subsided some since I "secured" the jb4 power cable in the ecu housing.

My freaking iDrive knob and menu button don't do shit.

Here are my only resolves for the misfire issue. Change plugs. (On their way)

Replace Pcv valve for oil in the CP?

Please give me advice on resolutions to get this thing in top shape. I can't even flog it in map 1 due the misfire.

My only other concerns may be with detonation from such large amounts of oil in the tract. Also could probably use a blasting. Hpfp and inj are also on my list of concerns..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
JimUlrich135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135is

Alright, well it seems to me you bought a car that someone already didn't want to fix.

Misfires: possibilities without actually diag'n the car myself, a coil/all 6 coils with replacement of all plugs(which your doing), an injector/injectors(when you replace the plugs pay attention to fuel fouling, good indication of a bad injector), valve cleaning (n54s are bad with carbon build up on the intake valves).

Oil leaks: self explainatory, again without me there to diag, this is what I assume. Oil filter cap o-ring(just go buy a new filter from BMW), or the oil filter cap is warped(new o-ring won't help at all, you just need a new cap, happens all the time with over tightening), the oil filter housing gaskets are leaking(pretty straight forward fix if you feel like tackling the job and have the correct tools), oil in the dv pipes is usually, not always, an indication of turbos..

As far as not being able to connect to your car via a scanner, not to sure again without being there but its possibly that the jb4 has something to do with it. If connected correctly you should have never gotten a cel from it, I believe.

The idrive issue, most likely the controller is bad..

Hope this helps guide you to so!e of your concerns. Burgertuning has a great oil catch can, recommend that if you end up moving forward/fixing this car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
jturboawd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, 135i, m4, x4m

Black the intake runners during plug change. You can get all the parts from harbor freight for 100 bucks and make the vacuum elbow with some fittings and a exhaust 45, use some plastic banding on the end to ensure you do not scratch head. The carbon is nuts on this car. I bet you need blasting and plugs and it only became apparent post tune due to increase cylinder pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

DIY bov mod = oil mess. Plug those back in. I had them for the sound, not worth making an oily mess. Get a real BOV or just run stock there. I went BOV.

Water pump is what it is, nothing to fix there.

OBD isn't working while JB4 is active. Put it in map 0 and you will regain OBD access.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Use the jb4 to pull codes. Did you buy the jb4 used or new?

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Oklahomabimmer
Rep

I bought the jb4 used, but it is g5. The DIY bov mod shouldn't cause any more oil than what's already appearent in the cp? It actually helps remove excess oil as the air escapes it draws oil out with it. Even though there shouldn't be any oil in the tract itself. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomabimmer View Post
I bought the jb4 used, but it is g5. The DIY bov mod shouldn't cause any more oil than what's already appearent in the cp? It actually helps remove excess oil as the air escapes it draws oil out with it. Even though there shouldn't be any oil in the tract itself. Is this correct?
Did you verify the g5 board had the diode cut and did you update the firmware? If the previous owner of the jb4 had a flash with it then the settings would be different and possibly not run right. Specially on wide open throttle. Like previously stated the oil housing gasket is a known problem. My charge pipe had a lot of oil in it as well when I changed it at 50k. Don't need to add oil ever. Double check to make sure the diode on the g5 board is cut. Update the firmware and reset the settings. Before you clear anything use the jb4 usb to read all the codes stored and post them.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback

Last edited by MuNkY6913; 12-10-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #8
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Did you get this sorted?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Oklahomabimmer
Rep

Sorry guys been busy with work. I will post codes once I get a computer to it, also where is the diode location?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Oklahomabimmer
Rep

Plugs resolved the mis issue guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #11
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomabimmer View Post
Plugs resolved the mis issue guys!
Did you happen to get pics of the plugs compared to new ones? Just wondering how bad they were. Maybe even look fine but just not performing. Glad it's working!

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I would start by pulling the JB4 unit and putting your ECU connections back to stock. If nothing changes than it's not the JB4 computer or installation, and you can re-install after it's running smoothly again. Our engines are pretty notorious for WP and coil failures, it happens, and I would start with replacing all 6 coils. You can trouble shoot coil packs though by swapping them around if you have a cylinder malfunction DTC. Ie Cyl 2 is misfiring, swap could between one and two and see if the misfire follows the coil. If it does, replace the coils (the rest will likely fail down the road, saves you the time). If it doesn't then it's likely a plug or injector issue.

When anything like this happens, it's best to just put it back to stock (recent mods only) and go from there. For this reason I prefer to stagger any engine mods so that it's easier to pinpoint issues if they do come up. Process of elimination is all. Best of luck, let us know how it goes

Appreciate 0