BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #23
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Sorry for the newbie question but will you be adjusting the rebound settings much, if ever? I'm leaning towards the V1's because my car will probably never see the track but the trend seems to be towards V2's.

Is there a link to a video that I can see as to how to change these rebound settings? I would like to know what is involved.
Not a n00b question because we all have to learn somewhere and everyone has an opinion to this. Mine, I probably will play with the settings again once I ditch the run flats. Right now I have them 1/2 turn from full soft front and rear, to me the ride I perfect: a nice compromise of sharp turn in, min roll and compliant over bumps. I had them at first 1/2 from full stiff but I felt alot of bump steer when turning and hitting small bumps. I attribute this to the hard tires though. It will be interesting to see where I have to set it to make riding on regular rubber to feel just right.
      12-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I'm leaning towards the V1's because my car will probably never see the track but the trend seems to be towards V2's.
I thought the exact same thing, but I do track occasionally. I haven't since getting this car, but I did with my previous car. Since you're in Brisbane (is that near Wollongong at all?), maybe this video can change your mind.

Track day can potentially be the most fun you have in your car. The downside to trackdays (for me anyway) has always been wanting instruction (instructor days are more expensive than days without instruction), and parts to compensate for my lack of skill, or parts to enhance my ability as my skill grows.

If you adamantly will never track your car, probably v1 is perfect for you, but seriously consider tracking. It's fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #25
SPEZNAS92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Luckily for me, my GF is also pretty light, and most of my friends are too. However, she has some fat friends who i sometimes am burdened with transporting...what does one do in such a situation?
I think it's time for some pole position seats and the BrRacing Cage!
E92 BMW 335i
E82 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #26
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEZNAS92 View Post
I think it's time for some pole position seats and the BrRacing Cage!
Or maybe just a "No Fat Chicks" sticker to insult them so they never want a ride from me.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #27
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Or maybe just a "No Fat Chicks" sticker to insult them so they never want a ride from me.
maybe shim the passenger door so it only opens slightly. it would act like a filter.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #28
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
You know your passengers are too fat when:

...you can usually have everyone exit the car when parking on the street, but with this one passenger they cannot get out without getting your door stuck in the grass (thankfully never on a cement sidwalk (yet)!).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #29
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
I thought the exact same thing, but I do track occasionally. I haven't since getting this car, but I did with my previous car. Since you're in Brisbane (is that near Wollongong at all?), maybe this video can change your mind.

Track day can potentially be the most fun you have in your car. The downside to trackdays (for me anyway) has always been wanting instruction (instructor days are more expensive than days without instruction), and parts to compensate for my lack of skill, or parts to enhance my ability as my skill grows.

If you adamantly will never track your car, probably v1 is perfect for you, but seriously consider tracking. It's fun!
I want to track, but tracks dont let verts on...sad

So I guess its V1s for me...

But Frank, your car looks great, now lets see it at the next meet...but still no complaints about the 318is.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #30
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

are V1's height adjustable? what are the ranges?
      02-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #31
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfortin69 View Post
are V1's height adjustable? what are the ranges?
Yes, anywhere from close to standard M Sport height to total slammed.
      02-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #32
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
Yes, anywhere from close to standard M Sport height to total slammed.
I'll go with these as I have a convertible and will not be tracking......unless I weld in a full role cage.
      02-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #33
BMW Dedicated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

What is the ride quality compared to stock? Does it handle a lot better than stock?
This may seem like a simple message to you guys (or average) but this is a desperate for me, because I am BEYOND worried about setting the proper ride height, and I really need you guys help on making sure my car is set up properly.

I am going to more than likely go with staggered 19's of the M3 CSL Replica Wheel. This means my tires are going to be perfectly offset to my fenders and quarters, and there will be no room for mistakes or errors. I dont want my car to look like a teenager is in a "slammed" vehicle. I want that "Perfect" fit in the wheel well. I really dont even know what questions to ask, so please fire away at me with every comment you can bare.

What are the handling/ride quality balance differences between the KW 1-2-3's? I am a big Koni fan, but I am being recommended to go with this adjustable shock and spring package. I dont want to make any mistakes. I want to be able to drift like I can in a stock M car, but I want to also grip better, and not be harsh. How do I create this combo? Just throw out opinions. It doesnt have to be perfectly accurate, because I am TOTALLY lost, and very afraid of having to take my suspension back apart for height adjustment, and when I get my suspension in I want this to be a "1 time and Im done" kind of deal. I need help doing all of the math before bolts are being broken loose. Trying to do the math before tearing things apart is about to drive me to drinking

Guys... Please dont let me mess up my 1
THANK ANY OF YOU GUYS who were willing to take the time to help me figure this out. Ive lost sleep over this "simple" thing. Taking suspension apart is a big deal for me, and I want a ride quality that makes a Lady feel like a "Lady" and not like her breasts are going to give her black eyes just to go out for dinner. I want "Luxury" and "Play". You know? Just like an M with a slight enhancement.

Last edited by BMW Dedicated; 02-25-2010 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #34
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

v1s are garbage. the lack of rebound adjustability ruins the coilovers and the ride.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #35
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Other than what I believe are some install related rattles, I love my KW v1's. However, in your case I'd go with v2's or v3's. It doesn't sound like you plan to track your car. That's why most want the adjustable option. However, since you sound very particular, it would be safer to buy something you could adjust until you feel it's just right.

The main issue that makes me wonder if KW's are right for you is that you mention drifting. KW's are progressive so it's possible they may not give you the linear response you're looking for but I doubt it since you mention wanting to not abuse your passengers..

While you have the car apart you probably should add the M3 front control arms. You might also will want to possibly consider a front sway bar and the rear subframe M3 bushings mod.

So my vote for what you should do is KWv2's, try to lower slightly less than one inch, and also do the M3 control arms. That should be enough, it's perfect for me. Btw, the right tire will make a huge difference too with those 19's. I love my Toyo T1R's.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #36
BMW Dedicated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Other than what I believe are some install related rattles, I love my KW v1's. However, in your case I'd go with v2's or v3's. It doesn't sound like you plan to track your car. That's why most want the adjustable option. However, since you sound very particular, it would be safer to buy something you could adjust until you feel it's just right.

The main issue that makes me wonder if KW's are right for you is that you mention drifting. KW's are progressive so it's possible they may not give you the linear response you're looking for but I doubt it since you mention wanting to not abuse your passengers..

While you have the car apart you probably should add the M3 front control arms. You might also will want to possibly consider a front sway bar and the rear subframe M3 bushings mod.

So my vote for what you should do is KWv2's, try to lower slightly less than one inch, and also do the M3 control arms. That should be enough, it's perfect for me. Btw, the right tire will make a huge difference too with those 19's. I love my Toyo T1R's.
Im sorry if I sound dumb for asking. What do you mean about the KW's being progressive in terms of possibly effecting a stable drift. Is it the type of suspension that sticks like glue, and then lets go when its limit is passed, and doesnt allow a regain of balance?

Do the KW2's make for the combination of a smooth ride with excellent handling?

Hey man, thank you so much for that response. To the rest that have comments like his, my eyes are opened. I have the thread sending me emails as messages come through.

I'm with you on M3 suspension parts
I'm smart about a lot of things about cars, but not anywhere near top notch, and so my question may be dumb, but Im so interested in the possible benefits that I will ask the question and let myself look dumb.
What benefits can or will be recieved by using the M3s control arms? I know there definitely has to be something. I would imagine "lighter" is one advantage, but I am sure the function of it is different than a regular 1 series function.

About drifting. I just from time to time will slide around a bit, and everytime a BMW holds exactly where I want. I guess I am saying I dont want the "knifes edge" style of handling which makes the ride solid to the extreme that traction cannot be regained. In an M5 with stock suspension I can just drift the thing around like a piece of cake, and I dont want to lose that wonderful part about a BMW. My E46 M3 didnt really have the torque to play with like that. By "Knifes edge" Im talking about the type of handling that doesnt give warning, and it doesnt allow a little play or slide to easily regain. I dont actually professionally drift "long" curves. Just a litte 10 to 15 yard drift on occassion is really fun to me. I know its a bit ridiculous for me to be speaking about how much I love to make a car slide.

With these coilovers, for a lack of better words, does it make your car feel more "rich" or luxurious? I say this because I know anything Ive put a set of Konis on has made any car seem like its worth twice its value because of how well they function. I love that ride and handling quality in a BMW especially.

Lastly (for the moment) can a limited slip be put on whether it is a manual or automatic? I am getting my 1 soon. Was going to be this past Tuesday. My 01 M3 has been gone for a while and Im driving cars off of the car lot right now until the 1 is here. I love a manual transmission, but thought maybe I would run with an Auto until I can afford a new 4 door M3 or M5. I am also an acceleration freak, and these new autos are amazing, and Im going to be pushing a large amount of power and am not sure how well the 135's clutches hold up. I dont drag race, but I DO put the power down after launch when Im in a playful mood.

Thank you again for your input, and I am now leaning even harder to the Version 2's. I am definitely putting sway bars and strut tower braces on the car to make it as structurally solid as possible to compliment the response of the suspension to work in harmony. I also would love feedback on characteristics you guys have noticed from your aftermarket sway bars. If any of you has the KW's and can give me an idea of how they compare to a basic Koni/Eibach setup (that is if youve driven or had Konis before), that would be greatly appreciated as that would give me a comforting idea in the manner my car will be. Thank You!
Im just pumped and want to make sure things are done right the first time.

Last edited by BMW Dedicated; 02-26-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #37
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
you can always change out the spring to a linear spring, one of the forum sponsors was offering that, from what i remember there was a slight modding to the perch to make it work
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #38
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post

hey eyeman, i heard mixed reviews on the KW 1's I'm still thinking about going with this set up. Do you have any additional pictures of your drop and any other insight on this set up.
      03-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #39
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Other than the adjustability feature differences, are there any quality differences between KW V1, V2 and V3?

Some one here mentioned V1 is trash, is this true?

But according to Eyeman that he is quite happy with his KW V1 and he mentioned even he got V2 and he would not calibrate the V2 different than V1's factory setting.

So, is V1 still worth to be considered if I don't care about the adjustability?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #40
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Other than the adjustability feature differences, are there any quality differences between KW V1, V2 and V3?

Some one here mentioned V1 is trash, is this true?

But according to Eyeman that he is quite happy with his KW V1 and he mentioned even he got V2 and he would not calibrate the V2 different than V1's factory setting.

So, is V1 still worth to be considered if I don't care about the adjustability?
I am the OP and had KW V1 on a previous car and KW V2 on the 135i as the thread title states.

No, the only difference is in dampening adjustability. KW V1s can only be adjusted for height and are progressive in terms of dampening. I had no complaints on the ride quality when I had them.

V2s give you that extra edge over the V1s with the adjustability. The quality of the parts are no different. The person who posted the V1's as garbage has no basis and his cause for comparison are coilover kits costing double or triple the price of V2s and also have much more options of adjustability.

For a street car, occasional track car, the V2s suit me fine.
      03-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #41
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the clarification.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #42
dreierc
135i
Rep
Drives: 135i

Sorry, newbie question regarding coilovers. Do you need to use spacers with coilovers with stock wheels? If so, how thick?

I looked up these KW's and also Eibach coilovers on some firms selling them, all say that spacers must be used with stock wheels, otherwise they won't fit?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #43
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
With 264s, I do not need spacers.