BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
DRKNESSAudiDad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Man just hearing about possibilities makes me want a toy…
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
We've been involved with tuning/programming six or seven of these S65 swapped 1Ms, they are awesome! Should have come with an S65 from the factory

This has me thinking.. since we have an 4.4L Stoker motor sitting around.. that would be a lot of fun in a 1 series or Z4 chassis.
Whaaat? 😳
You just have stroked stuff laying around and waiting for a new home? Very cool 😀
M3 boi3211.00
      12-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

From a purely engineering perspective, these projects have many interesting challenges including how to effectively distribute power to drivetrain and suspension never designed to handle so much power and torque.

This reminds of a past project where Golf R32 was fitted with 2 x turbo charged VR6 engines.

https://www.motor1.com/news/260373/i...golf-gti-vr12/
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00
      12-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #26
Usef_Afande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

This is sweet!

I've driven a 135, a 1M and owned an e92 and an e90 M3 for a span of five years between the two!
I would love to experience how the s65 feels in that chassis!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #27
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limerock Grey M3 / Hellrot 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I considered the 135 to 1M conversion for a very long time but when I started crunching the numbers the total final cost really deflated my interest. For the same price you can go for a Wide body M240i with an LSD or straight up an M2, which in many ways are the more modern iteration of the 1M. Not as great but a lot more reliable!

How did you do the rear fender flares? Fiberglass or metal welding?
Used OEM metal quarters and replaced the whole quarter and also the oem metal wheel liner.

Some photos are in my post here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1860082
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00
      12-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #28
lowE88
Private
Rep
Drives: E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisenwether View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Pot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Original cars are what, 60-80k?+ no way 30k, I say.

I can just say its nice someone tried to do these swaps. Me personally id keep the I6 and go for a cool exhaust. But of course many swaps have very spot on roots to them, original engine being toast etc. So all the M-Power to them!
I would say this isn't feasible based on my experience to this point. Labor alone would cost 10-15k+ depending how you approach it + 1M + S65 Drivetrain.

S65 manual no EDC would be the lowest cost, least painful, route.
I think the number is way under but I believe they're using the standard 1 series as the base and adding the 1m parts on top instead of starting with the full 1m. Would be closer to 30 but still prolly half of the actual
It's wayyy above 30k.

Making a clone is actually extremely expensive in todays terms. All the oem parts have become very expensive and some aren't in the US anymore unless you pay some of the ridiculous fees they are putting on parts to ship them in.

Base car (no accidents 5-10k?) depending what you wanted to start with
OEM parts for a full 1m conversion you are around 10-15k now
Labor to convert and paint 15-25k (you might think this is high but I just made my own clone and had close to 225+ hours of my own labor and I did 90% of the work) any decent shop is probably minimum 100/hr.)
Then comes the S65 and supporting items. That will depend on the motor condition but probably 8-12k. Plus labor for the swap and custom work required.

To make this in todays costs you will be north of 50k by the time you are done. (If paying someone to do it, can save a lot of you do the labor but just the cost of parts is getting fairly high)

*I just did my 135 to 1M conversion a few months ago with all oem parts and it was pretty costly but I didn't pay any labor as I did everything myself with minor help from my father. Just the cost of car and parts would surprise a lot of people.
Someone took you for a wild ride. I just checked on a handful of parts (I've got the list handy) and they're the same price I paid three years ago. Full oem 1M kit without quarters was $3k out the door at my dealer. Anyone should be able to get the full kit, with quarters welded in for $15k before paint. At least, if they aren't an idiot
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #29
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
I believe (I could be wrong) that the S65 was the last NA motor BMW used in any car, in any market.
The 730i F01/02 continued to 2015, the X1 18i also went until 2015.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00
      12-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #30
lowE88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
From a purely engineering perspective, these projects have many interesting challenges including how to effectively distribute power to drivetrain and suspension never designed to handle so much power and torque.

This reminds of a past project where Golf R32 was fitted with 2 x turbo charged VR6 engines.

https://www.motor1.com/news/260373/i...golf-gti-vr12/
S65 is less harsh on all that stuff than a basic tuned N54 would be. Really no challanges there. S65 is lighter (all things considered) and has a much kinder torque curve, making the same amount
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:32 PM   #31
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowE88 View Post
Someone took you for a wild ride. I just checked on a handful of parts (I've got the list handy) and they're the same price I paid three years ago. Full oem 1M kit without quarters was $3k out the door at my dealer. Anyone should be able to get the full kit, with quarters welded in for $15k before paint. At least, if they aren't an idiot
Lol no one took me for a ride, i have a wholesale account and did all the work myself so i paid a fraction of what it really costs for most people. You are talking cosmetics only. Rear quaters are roughly 3.5k for inner and outer. Then you add in a rear subframe, suspensions, wheels, driveshaft, exhuast, rear trunk area to move battery etc.

Plus I have a list also, just to do the front (the proper way with all correct brackets and duct work) was $2600 retail about 4 months ago and prices are already up a bit.

Just to highlight the major item prices (retail price)
Front bumper: $662
Fenders 2x 415/each (830 total)
side skirts 2x $290/each (480 total)
rear bumper $570
oem quarters 1350/each (2700) (plus some dealers are putting cost of shipping to them on customer)
oem inner quarters 340/each (680)

Then add all the brackets, hardware, wheel liners etc etc it all adds up fast. If you don't like my prices that's fine, just giving what it really costs as I just did it and have been in the automotive repair for most of my life. If you can get it cheaper good find.

But at the same time, yes you can do cosmetic and do body for cheaper, but part of what the 1m is about is the suspension/drivetrain

Last edited by Kisenwether; 12-16-2021 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #32
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Just to add those saying it can't be done for 30k.. this price is in GBP (vid is from uk project car). Which is around the right figure, probably could do less, if you sourced bits from everywhere, but the chap (Ashley) who built this car, has done a few now (including the lovely mantis green v8 1m.
      12-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #33
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
We've been involved with tuning/programming six or seven of these S65 swapped 1Ms, they are awesome! Should have come with an S65 from the factory

This has me thinking.. since we have an 4.4L Stoker motor sitting around.. that would be a lot of fun in a 1 series or Z4 chassis.
Whaaat? 😳
You just have stroked stuff laying around and waiting for a new home? Very cool 😀
Yup, sitting for months now

Motor was built by someone else many years ago and the sleeve dropped after 10k miles or so. Told the customer back then that sleeving the block was a bad idea! Still deciding what we want to do with it. Low priority but some really nice parts in there, Arrow Rods, DINAN Valve springs, marine crank. If anyone wants it let me know by the time I get around to putting it in something there will be 10 more variants of Covid :/
Attached Images

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 2
Yeru211.50
M3 boi3211.00
      12-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #34
dmech1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

It's not a 1m its a 123d thats why its so cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #35
lowE88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol no one took me for a ride, i have a wholesale account and did all the work myself so i paid a fraction of what it really costs for most people. You are talking cosmetics only. Rear quaters are roughly 3.5k for inner and outer. Then you add in a rear subframe, suspensions, wheels, driveshaft, exhuast, rear trunk area to move battery etc.

Plus I have a list also, just to do the front (the proper way with all correct brackets and duct work) was $2600 retail about 4 months ago and prices are already up a bit.

rear bumper $570
oem quarters 1350/each (2700) (plus some dealers are putting cost of shipping to them on customer)

Then add all the brackets, hardware, wheel liners etc etc it all adds up fast. If you don't like my prices that's fine, just giving what it really costs as I just did it and have been in the automotive repair for most of my life. If you can get it cheaper good find.

But at the same time, yes you can do cosmetic and do body for cheaper, but part of what the 1m is about is the suspension/drivetrain
Yeah you didn't mention any of that in your post. None of that is what anyone considers when talking about the body panels. But I can tell from your price on just the front end work that you overpaid :
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #36
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

rear bumper $570

Yeah you didn't mention any of that in your post. None of that is what anyone considers when talking about the body panels. But I can tell from your price on just the front end work that you overpaid :
Guess you missed the part that I said I have a wholesale account and I also said the prices I showed are retail? I didn't pay anything near what it costs the average customer to make a clone as I did almost all of it myself so not a single $ on labor. Labor is always the killer for projects. Parts are minimal in most cases.

Also here is the parts list for just the front end. This was retail pricing a few months ago. It's more then just bumper and fenders to do it oem style

Maybe we just have different view point of what the front end conversion is. My view is this list.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Yeineken1300.50
      12-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #37
lowE88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

rear bumper $570

Guess you missed the part that I said I have a wholesale account and I also said the prices I showed are retail? I didn't pay anything near what it costs the average customer to make a clone as I did almost all of it myself so not a single $ on labor. Labor is always the killer for projects. Parts are minimal in most cases.

Also here is the parts list for just the front end. This was retail pricing a few months ago. It's more then just bumper and fenders to do it oem style

Maybe we just have different view point of what the front end conversion is. My view is this list.
No one has to have a wholesale account. Anyone paying retail is an idiot. I walked into a dealer I'd never been to, put my list down and they gave me 27% off the whole thing. Even mentioning retail price is disingenuous. But whatever makes you feel better I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #38
L0ngb0arder
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLC43, Project-BMW1M

Good to see prices haven't moved too much
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #39
Tylia M-Werks
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
S65 conversion

Does anyone know of shops in the Mid-Atlantic that are doing these 128i S65 motor conversions?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #40
Six Pot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylia M-Werks View Post
Does anyone know of shops in the Mid-Atlantic that are doing these 128i S65 motor conversions?
We could 😁. PM me

==OLD SETUP==
ViE 3884 | PR | JB4 | EOS Billet Fuel / Manifold | Seibon Hood | Spec Twin | 900IC | Slek Lip / Diffuser | EC7 Wheels | KW HAS | Maddad + GTHaus | P3 | ViE Can
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #41
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylia M-Werks View Post
I'm in the DC and did the swap myself. Feel free to PM me. I have a thread on here with the details.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:49 PM   #42
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usef_Afande View Post
This is sweet!

I've driven a 135, a 1M and owned an e92 and an e90 M3 for a span of five years between the two!
Which was your favourite
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:10 PM   #43
Usef_Afande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usef_Afande View Post
This is sweet!

Which was your favourite
I actually have a g80 M3C now. I still have a soft spot for the s65 engine. But I'm loving the newness of the g80. The g80 is fairly larger but it's a sedan so it's ok.
I loved the size of the 135/1M
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00