BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
balkanbemve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

VRSF Catted DP + Custom Y Pipe Sound Impression [N55]

If you're wondering how the VRSF HF catted downpipe sounds then have a look at my video on it. There will be more to come. Posting to help those out who can't really decide between catless vs catted due to the lack of videos on the E82 with this setup. Middle resonator has been replaced with a custom Y pipe. Full review will be coming on this setup in the next one. Ask any questions you might have. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8qR84jfjE&t=142s
Appreciate 1
fast1eddy269.50
      09-12-2022, 11:29 PM   #2
balkanbemve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is the full review that I did on this setup. Let me know if you guys have any questions about it!

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 01:47 AM   #3
CharsadehBEAST
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Minivan

Dude thank you for the detailed review, especially regarding the smell factor. Induction noise is very similar to my catless VRSF which surprises me a little, other posts on here have indicated catted is noticeably quieter vs catless.

I have a 2012 N55 and currently running PE axle back/y-pipe/stock mids/VRSF catless DP, Injen intake, very little drone on the freeway, would prefer ~20% more volume around town because I find myself driving faster more than I should to get some noise out of it

Cold starts are very loud with MHD cold start "roar", a neighbor complained to HOA (and about the smell) so I turned it off for now

I do admit the smell is a bit much, I roll up my windows when slowing down to lights/stop signs, very annoying. I've been looking for N54 mids to clean it up but no luck and local muffler shops refuse to add high flow cats to the mids but thanks to your review I just ordered a catted VRSF dp. I'm also leaning towards ordering the Berk midpipes.

Do you have the stock intake?

Sounds like your burble tune is on low ~0.75-1 second, that's where I have mine. First week, I had it on high and was always on high alert for the cops, even had someone flip me off because of the gun shots.
      10-10-2022, 06:12 AM   #4
balkanbemve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharsadehBEAST View Post
Dude thank you for the detailed review, especially regarding the smell factor. Induction noise is very similar to my catless VRSF which surprises me a little, other posts on here have indicated catted is noticeably quieter vs catless.

I have a 2012 N55 and currently running PE axle back/y-pipe/stock mids/VRSF catless DP, Injen intake, very little drone on the freeway, would prefer ~20% more volume around town because I find myself driving faster more than I should to get some noise out of it

Cold starts are very loud with MHD cold start "roar", a neighbor complained to HOA (and about the smell) so I turned it off for now

I do admit the smell is a bit much, I roll up my windows when slowing down to lights/stop signs, very annoying. I've been looking for N54 mids to clean it up but no luck and local muffler shops refuse to add high flow cats to the mids but thanks to your review I just ordered a catted VRSF dp. I'm also leaning towards ordering the Berk midpipes.

Do you have the stock intake?

Sounds like your burble tune is on low ~0.75-1 second, that's where I have mine. First week, I had it on high and was always on high alert for the cops, even had someone flip me off because of the gun shots.
Dude I'm glad it could help you honestly. You're spot on with your analysis though. Burble setting had to be turned down so I went from 0.6 medium aggressiveness to now 0.6 soft. You can still get pretty loud burbles if you downshift and the gear ends up around the 3K mark, but 95% of the burbles now are just right.

It sounds like we will have the exact same setup because some say the res delete with flap open on the stock non mpe could essentially be the mpe because they sound identical. Try it out but if you need more sound you might have to do like a berk race axleback.

You're going to be super happy about the smell and your neighbors too lol.

Intake is stock right now but I finally decided to order one so there is one coming. We'll see how I like it.
Appreciate 0