BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #23
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

A 135i is too much car for college, unless you're paying for it yourself. And if you were paying for it yourself, you wouldn't park it on campus. What about a nice GTI? Or the new ugly 2008 WRX? Either of those will cut a much lower profile than a 135i. And both are enough of a "driver's car" to entertain you for years.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #24
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
if you got the 328i, would it definitely be the coupe? Getting a sedan would definitely be convenient at certain times but thats really up to you. the only reason to be in a 328 over a 135 would be that its more tame and you're less likely to get yourself into trouble hot-doggin it. do you care how much leg room your backseat passengers have, or would you rather have twin-turbos and a more "spirited" suspension setup?

im not trying to hate like willyb here, but what is wrong with your 2005 focus? its 2 years old, anything mechanically wrong with it? I understand you want to take advantage of your graduation gift, but if you are really lookin to not waste your money, why not save the 1/2 of what youd spend on a new car, get you dad to give you the dough that he wouldve spent. You could ride the focus through college with cheaper insurance and gas and maintenance costs. Then you could use the money you saved to help with a house DP or to buy an even nicer car with the benefit you won't have to park it in campus parking lots where lots of idiots don't necessarily care if their doors swings freely into the side of your nicely waxed bimmer.

if you have the means, great for you, and great for your dad that hes willing to reward your graduation with such a generous gift. i'm not going to judge you based on this. but if youve got a relatively new car that works fine that may be paid off (dunno what your status is with that car), why not just ride it till it quits (or until you grad for college) and keep that money and add it to your college grad gift and get something even better.

+1

save for a rainy day and get the 135i as a graduation present from college.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #25
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
You could ride the focus through college with cheaper insurance and gas and maintenance costs.
Nope, see my post from 2 days ago in the insurance thread about the hidden costs of being poor. The Focus 2dr gets the same "E, 0%, E" rating (wost possible) from Sate Farm as all other college student econoboxes do. Don't be surprised to find your insurance company working off the same vehicle data from the insurance institute.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/a...ating/ford.asp

Here's the insurance thread. Post #24
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=24

My point here is to simply point out the paradox in that the cars you would expect to have low operating costs (such as insurance) in fact have higher costs. Not to make fun of the guys Focus, they are actually pretty fun cars to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #26
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

still, shouldnt it be cheaper to insure the focus based on car value alone. I understand you arent getting any discount on the focus because its a "lower risk" but the value of a 2005 focus is at best half of a new 135i. that should affect the note I would think.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #27
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe [E86]

Garage List
Thank you very much Kamakazi. I do want a 4 seater, in case I do have to hall people or stuff around but I've learned people don't like to cram into the back of a 2dr from my Focus (helps ward off the free loader ) and I admit I like the sportiness of the coupe. 328i would definitely be a coupe.

I also looked into the 135i (and 128i) because they're more compact than the new 3 series. The 3 series is starting to feel a bit 'sedan-ish', may just be me since I'm used to the size of the Focus.

The Focus is a fine car, and it is paid off. It turned out to be surprisingly fun for a 136hp fwd automatic. But my goal was to get something sportier for myself after high school. I got the Focus for it's fuel economy since I'd be paying for my gas and I work a lot hours during school.

The insurance on the 3 series (haven't quoted 1 series) is actually lower than my Focus but only if it's paid off. If I take a loan that'll force my insurance to include collision which sky rockets the price. My dad agreed to pay half to also help me avoid taking a loan on my goal car so it doesn't become a money pit while I'm in college.

Back to the Focus, only mechanical issues I've had have been with the torque converter. One day I just completely lost throttle at an SCCA auto cross and I don't know much of the mechanics behind the torque converter but it was about $1,200 after I got my car back. Other issues have just been poor interior quality. I'm trying to get the Ford off my hands before it lives up to it's reputation of falling apart, I don't want to be shoveling money into it during school.

There are alternatives to the 1 / 3 series as far as reliable low-maintenance cars for college but if I'm putting down the money I don't want it to go to something I don't really want.

And to 1ster:
"A 135i is too much car for college, unless you're paying for it yourself."
I'm not quite sure I understand that.
But a WRX over the 135i? That car is NOT low profile, I'll have every Mustang GT, EVO, or ricer revving at me at every red light.

Thank you though Kamakazi for your input as well as not judging me via Forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #28
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

np man, just trying to give a bit of input.

my suggestion, if I were in your shoes, would be to ride the focus through college, or if it starts to breakdown and become too much of a hassle, bail on it then. at least you will have ridden it to the fullest.

even waiting just a year or two will save that many miles on your new car, so it will have that much more life left when you get out. plus, you know there is almost always some quirky things wrong with the car or some tsbs that they put out and change for the 2nd or 3rd year run of a car. they also will add more options that were previously unavailable. one example would be cars that dont have HIDs that get an HID option in year 2/3 and people that got aftermarket and have all these ballasts and stuff under their hood are like "man, i wish i had the 200x model year factory HIDs". i know this specific example doesnt apply to a 135i, but you get the point.

lets say they release a M version in addition to or replacing the 135i in model year 2010. I know its a stretch, but these things happen. even if this is not the case, you could go in knowing people have had a reliable 2 years with the car, or you'll be buying the one with all the little quirks fixed. plus, the aftermarket (if youre interested in somewhere else to dump your cash) will have developed a lot further and you'll have a lot of people to get opinions from for parts.

all that being said, I know where you are and I know how tough it is to wait. 7 years ago, I was a senior and I was in a situation where I had a little over 20k to spend on a car. Driving the 87 civic hatch that I learned on made me want a brand new car bad, so I bought a loaded celica gt and then proceeded to tastefully (in my opinion at least ) mod it through college, and needless to say it was fun. Looking back, I wish I had gotten a more moderate (but still new car) and just used that through college. Now, I've been converting my celica back to stock form (more $) so that its more practical for use it as my daily driver. I'm now currently exploring the market for my "weekend" car, and I'm starting to wish I had bought a civic for college and had the leftover money from that and mods to put towards my first car that I won't have to drive to work everyday.

I can almost guarantee that one day looking back, you would regret tossing a car that runs just fine to upgrade your college daily driver, but thats not to say you wouldnt have fun. Just some things to consider. As long as you put some thought into the process and do whatever feels right, you'll be fine.

sorry for the wall o' text.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #29
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not at all, I appreciate you putting this much thought to help me out .

I understand your point on waiting for possible better revisions of a car but I've learned with upgrading my computer, right after you get the best part it will be only the 2nd best in a few days. Best to find that thing you enjoy weither it's best or not.

I'll reconsider getting the 135i (or 328i coupe till college graduation).

Anyone else have other thoughts on my questions?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #30
flanagan
Fits in the Rear Seats
Rep
Drives:

In college, I drove 3 cars at one time or another: a 98 Civic DX, a 86 Volvo 240DL, and a 98 Acura 2.3CL. Of the 3, the Volvo was the best for college. It was huge, RWD, and incredibly resilient. It wasn't any faster than a slug, but the RWD was great when it snowed!

I know you're looking to upgrade the Focus, and I can't blame you even if it is only 2 years old (Hell, I had 3 cars across 4 years!). But honestly, any brand-new BMW is overkill for college. kamakazi is right on the money about leaving the new BMW for college graduation. It will be a lot more enjoyable then.

But that leaves the question of with what to replace the Focus. What you really need is a Miata wagon, but there is no such thing! I would highly recommend a used M Coupe. It's a BMW, it's an M, it's fast as hell, it has gobs of cargo room, and it's just plain weird. It's perfect!

Now I'm actually angry at myself that I didn't try to pick one up while I was in college.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #31
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

No such thing as a Miata wagon? I beg to differ! ; -)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 11:41 PM   #32
1drive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

If you just want to get noticed get an old Mercedes full sized sedan for about $5000. But that ain't a drivers car, so it might not be you.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #33
forthemoment
Rep
Drives:

Shaz:

I just through 4 years at USC...univ of southern california. pretty much in the heart of LA. great school in a shifty 'hood. there are a lot of affluent people at USC--bimmers, audis, land rovers, etc are all quite commonplace. i now work for a global petroleum company (CVX) a slight drive north of los angeles.

but as it has been previously stated, a lot can happen on a college campus. I was in a fraternity with a house on the greek row. my volvo got dented a few times by drunk ppl coming back from bars...my friends' cars as well. anything can happen at college. I wouldn't want to be responsible for babying a brand spankin new 1 series while i'm trying to make decent grades, party, get women, etc etc. also, although people clown me for driving a volvo wagon, i can't imagine college without the hauling capacity...i have the freedom of moving 50" dlp tvs, coffee tables, sofas, etc. the i5 turbo base with my ecu, turboback exhaust, etc etc provides plenty of power as well. coupled with sway bars, lowering springs, endlinks, etc, the volvo is no slouch. i digress.

ironically, however, my 06' 325i has not been the victim of any vandalism. the volvo, on the other hand, has been--just yesterday someone smashed my passenger's side window and stole my gps unit. the car was parked in a gated parking lot of my gf's apartment unit.

So, in essence, if you go with the 1 series, be prepared for damages. dings here and there, some curb rash from a night after some clubbing...if u're into that sorta thing. i guess it depends on where you're going to college.

good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 05:04 AM   #34
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

I myself will be getting the 135i as a graduation gift as well pretty much. Just that it will be for graduating college. Hopefully 2009 if my classes don't be come impacted. I've seen quite a handful of upscale cars on my campus. We have one Acura NSX, several 33Xi (both coupe and sedan), couple Audis, and a handful of Mercedes Benz. My suggestion, keep the Focus as your main car for now and wait until college graduation. I drive a Honda Element right now. I got that my junior year in high school. Once I got into college, man so many dings and what not. Oh by the way, I go to Cal Poly Pomona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #35
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you Forthe,

I was at Berkeley over summer for an engineering and leadership conference and I could see the nice cars there. I understand the risks of some doofus dinging up my car but my older friends at Auburn haven't had such an issue(one has an 06 350z) so I'm trusting that it would only happen a minute number of times if at all in that area.

(to: 1drive)
I'm not looking to get a car just to be noticed, I really want a drivers car. BMW is known for their emphasis on being a drivers car, not just transportation. If I wanted to get noticed I could invest in getting a Lotus haha but that's too spartan of a drivers car.

I really wanted the BMW for that emphasis and I just want the lowest series of BMW, not looking to sport a 5 series or anything. I was looking at three series until I heard the 1 was coming to the US in the (so I've read) $26-$31 range which is less than and equal to the 328i coupe. So I figured a sportier driver-emphasized car that fit all the things I was looking for, and for less!

I'm not above used BMW's (M3 >,<) either I just feel the newer cars are more reliable and warranty is always a must with European based cars.

gtg in school ha
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #36
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I would seriously not recommend getting such a nice car for school. As others have implied/stated, most cars get pretty messed up in school from all kinds of unforseen stuff. I had two guys get in a fight, on my hood :frown:. Needless to say, it was not covered by insurance.

Save the nice car for when you graduate and get that good job :thumbup:.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #37
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What used Bimmers would you suggest in place of a 1series? (not wagons plz haha)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #38
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
I would seriously not recommend getting such a nice car for school. As others have implied/stated, most cars get pretty messed up in school from all kinds of unforseen stuff. I had two guys get in a fight, on my hood :frown:. Needless to say, it was not covered by insurance.

Save the nice car for when you graduate and get that good job :thumbup:.
I'm sorry but I have to completely disagree with you and the many others who say not to have a nice car at school. I graduated form UCF a year ago and it's pretty big campus with 40,000 plus students. I drove a ford mustang, 350z, and G35 during my time there and have NEVER had an issue with vandalism or accidents my entire time there. I did make sure to park on the top floors of parking garages and in end spots whenever possible, but to not get a car because you are going to be in school is silly. That's like saying let's not ever drive a car because you could potentially be in an accident. I know that is a bit extreme but I am just trying to make my point.

Lips
      08-31-2007, 09:25 AM   #39
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's like saying let's not ever drive a car because you could potentially be in an accident.
--Lips

((Auburn Campus had 23,000 in 06, not sure about this year or 08 when I go.))
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #40
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

To comment on the Insurance thing:

My insurance was Higher on our Lancer then it was/is on our Gallant, which has 100 more HP, and costs about 10g's more...

The only reason I can think of why that is is Image. The Lancer had/has that "ricer boy" image.
Like a Civic, Sentra, Cobalt, Focus, etc. they are typically owned by younger(and thus assumed less mature) people that like to do stupid things.:drinking:
Where as the Galant is seen as more of a "family" car...even though it would kick my old Lancer's ass in a heartbeat:headbang:

It'll be interesting to see how they look at the 128 and 135...I have a feeling my insurance will be going up a bit...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #41
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

How well are people doing that they can afford to drop ~$30K+ on a gift???

Seriously, people who say the economy isn't doing well should check into this thread.
Appreciate 0