BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Thanks

Thanks for all the response guys! It sounds like the base stereo is just too insufficient for what I am looking for. I agree that BMW downgrading the base stereo sucks but I would rather them save some $$ there than cut corners on performance or interior quality. Like a couple of others said, I don't have to have trunk rattling bass, but I still want a system powerful enough to enjoy while flying down the freeway with the windows down. Sound quality is definatley a priority though too. I think getting the HK system is going to be the best option for me. If it turns out it does not meet my needs, I will probrably be able to get by with a mild upgrade to the amp or subs and be satisfied.

Thanks
Wade
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #24
1addiction
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Harmon Kardon > Logic 7 easily
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #25
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
The downgrade happened starting with the 2010 models.
That's a relief.. at least I had an accurate benchmark after all then. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #26
N55_NOLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i

When I take delivery of my car on the 14th I'll give everyone a review of both stereos. My car is coming with the HK and my mom is taking delivery of her 2011 128i vert on the same day with the standard stereo. Although I know it won't be a perfect comparison because my car is a coupe and her's is a convertible, it should still provide a pretty good comparison. What I'm really looking forward to is after having the car for a few weeks taking the 128i to the beach and comparing them after being fully acquainted with the HK system in my 135i. I'll respond in this thread or make a new one once I take a good listen to them both!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #27
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Thanks for all the response guys! It sounds like the base stereo is just too insufficient for what I am looking for. I agree that BMW downgrading the base stereo sucks but I would rather them save some $$ there than cut corners on performance or interior quality. Like a couple of others said, I don't have to have trunk rattling bass, but I still want a system powerful enough to enjoy while flying down the freeway with the windows down. Sound quality is definatley a priority though too. I think getting the HK system is going to be the best option for me. If it turns out it does not meet my needs, I will probrably be able to get by with a mild upgrade to the amp or subs and be satisfied.

Thanks
Wade
I'm the same way, not an audiophile but enjoy some hard rock music with the top down and appreciate overall sound quality. Bottom line is if the music of the N55 is all you care about get the base stereo, otherwise spend the money for the HK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1addiction View Post
Harmon Kardon > Logic 7 easily
Haven't seen a thing to suggest there's a lick of difference between the HK and earlier HiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
That's a relief.. at least I had an accurate benchmark after all then. Thanks!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_NOLE View Post
When I take delivery of my car on the 14th I'll give everyone a review of both stereos. My car is coming with the HK and my mom is taking delivery of her 2011 128i vert on the same day with the standard stereo. Although I know it won't be a perfect comparison because my car is a coupe and her's is a convertible, it should still provide a pretty good comparison. What I'm really looking forward to is after having the car for a few weeks taking the 128i to the beach and comparing them after being fully acquainted with the HK system in my 135i. I'll respond in this thread or make a new one once I take a good listen to them both!
Grats, give us the update!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #28
kioko12
king kong in the trunk...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabriolet

I was at a BMW dealer this past weekend test driving an M3 and an '11 335i XDrive and the salesman said that all of the stereos/speakers in the more recent BMW's were sourced from HK, but some just didn't have any branding. Moreso, the higher-end models just used better quality/larger components with additional features (e.g. Logic 7 EQ).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #29
datdude133d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I love my hk audio :-)

what I dont like is how long it takes to scroll through your ipod.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #30
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It is not the under the seat "subs" the base system is missing. It is the 4 tweeters. The base system has 4 100mm speakers. Two in the doors, and two in the rear deck. There are two 160mm "subs" under the seats.

The mid level and upper level systems have tweeters and 100mm speakers in the doors and rear deck. The subs increase to 217mm and get their own amplifier channels with 40W each. The other four channels are 25W each. I like my mid-level system.

Jim
      05-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It is not the under the seat "subs" the base system is missing. It is the 4 tweeters. The base system has 4 100mm speakers. Two in the doors, and two in the rear deck. There are two 160mm "subs" under the seats.

The mid level and upper level systems have tweeters and 100mm speakers in the doors and rear deck. The subs increase to 217mm and get their own amplifier channels with 40W each. The other four channels are 25W each. I like my mid-level system.

Jim
6" "subs'.

Thanks for the clarification.

Effectively, they removed the 8" subs that were there.
The overall sound is nowhere near what it was before.
Subtract the tweets and it's clear why the base system is CRAP.

The base "mid level" system in the 09 and before was closer in sound to the "top" level system, than the new base system is to the mid level.
It is just a big disappointment.

However, configuring a new 2011 and including the HK system still brings the price to pretty much the same as before.
So, the overall price appeared to have dropped, if you are willing to accept some of the missing things.
I guess in terms of overall cost though, getting the HK upgrade doesn't cost any more than the previous cost that included the standard system, and now you get the USB/iPod hookup. That's a bonus!

I did a write up of the cost of a new 135i optioned the same as my 2009, and overall the cost was LOWER, given some items that cost extra before, namely the USB/iPod interface.

Basically, GET THE HK upgrade if you want acceptable audio.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #32
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

In Europe there are 3 options:

- Base - no subs, no tweeters... poor!
- Hifi - subs & tweeters (same as previous US base)
- HK / Logic 7 - metal cone subs and tweeter with improved amp

HK and Logic 7 are one in the same and Logic 7 is a sound mode created by HK. From what I have read / heard, the current Harman Kardon setup is the same as the previously named Logic 7 but with the removal of the Logic 7 sound modes - Cinema and Music - which are both totally crap anyway!

Read here for some more info: http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Technol...-TechSheet.pdf

Apart from that, the only difference that I can see is that they have added the Harman Kardon logo to the speakers.

So, the 2011 setup is inferior to the old Logic 7 if you like the sound processing modes.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #33
fermat1313
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M, 2002 Honda S200

Just picked up my car on ED on Monday. I can't compare the systems, as this is my first BMW, but I'm quite impressed. The bass is solid (not good enough for clear loud thumping, but that's not my thing anyway. The imaging is pretty good, and with some slight tweaking of the EQ and the fader (slight rear bias really helps) and I'm pleased. I listened to a stock system in a 2010 135i, and I was really unimpressed. I think it's definitely worth the $875 option charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #34
Dak Tirque
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat1313 View Post
Just picked up my car on ED on Monday. I can't compare the systems, as this is my first BMW, but I'm quite impressed. The bass is solid (not good enough for clear loud thumping, but that's not my thing anyway. The imaging is pretty good, and with some slight tweaking of the EQ and the fader (slight rear bias really helps) and I'm pleased. I listened to a stock system in a 2010 135i, and I was really unimpressed. I think it's definitely worth the $875 option charge.
I agree with the above assessment. I've had the 2011 135i for one week now and the stereo is more than sufficient. The bass really does thump, imo, when the volume is raised to the higher volume levels (I can see the rear window shaking with compression!)...definately "solid" as stated above. The music remains clear overall at high volumes, even without iPod or system equalization. Def worth the upgrade and clearly better than the base system I listened to in the showroom 135. I'm happy!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #35
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Can anyone comment on the 09 Upgraded Audio vs the Current HK? Are they the same without branding? Has the menu system for audio eq changed? can the car finally have "scenes" of audio style, etc.

thx

Shadow Blue MK6 GTI 4-Dr DSG
Euro OEM Reverse Camera |
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #36
bkochuk
constantly curious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135 sedona red/boston gray

I heard the "premium" sound system on an '08 135 and it was horrible compared to the Bose in my '07 G35 (and i didn't like it, either, but it was light years ahead of the 135).

Now I have an '09 135 with the base system. I have already replaced the component speakers in the front, and am getting ready to upgrade the 8's under the seat and add an amp (courtesy of VP Electricity).

it won't be the best system out there, but the original was so lame I had to do something.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #37
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Looks like I will be pleased when I take delivery of my E88 128i.
HK provides crisp clear "acceptable" audio. Good enough for me.

My mom has a 09' E88 128i with the base sound. It is good but not great.

I expect my HK to be a level or 2 above the base. I am not an audio enthusiast, so I'm sure the HK will be perfect/just fine.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)

Last edited by Uptempo80; 05-28-2010 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: error
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #38
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Tirque View Post
I, for one, don't care to have a system that announces my presence to all around me
Neither do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Tirque View Post

what I look for in a system is the ability to be "enveloped in sound".
What does being enveloped in sound have to do with good stereo sound? If you like the sensation, fine, more power to ya, but that's not high fidelity... that's surround sound.

Stereo isn't supposed to create an illusion that you're on stage with the band. It's supposed to create the illusion that there's a stage in front of you, with a band playing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #39
Superiority
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black 135i DCT

ive had a sound system in my last three cars.. and with this new harmon kardon in my 2011 135i ... not dissapointed what so ever. It is well worth it. So clean and powerful.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #40
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Have the new HK system in my new E88 125i and while I haven't listened to the old system in about 2 months for a back to back comparison it seems subjectively better. Maybe it just the Coral Red leather

Having said that it is not as good as the Dynaudio I had in my VW Eos. Of course it needs a little more bedding in as I have only had it 2 days.

You do need to play with the equaliser setting though.
      07-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #41
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe, AW/Terracotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Can any of you guys that have a 2011 with the Harmon Kardon stereo give us a review? I have been looking forward to hearing some reviews on it. I really don't want to have to upgrade the stereo when I order my 135 but if the Harmon Kardon is not worth the $$$ I'll just upgrade the standard.
- Is there any difference between the new stereo and the previous years?
- How realistic is it to upgrade the standard stereo to better than Harmon for less than or equal the cost of the upgrade, including parts and install?

Thanks
Wade
I just picked up my 2011 128i yesterday. I have to say that for $875 the HK system in the 1 is just okay. For the most part it is worth it, but I am comparing the HK system on my New 128i to the premium audio system in my 2008 528xi and it's night and day. The system in the 528 blows the HK system on the 1 right out of the water. Yes there is a decent amount of low end and volume, but no matter how I EQ it the high end clarity is just not there. The logic 7 processing isn't as robust either. I'm glad I got it because the base system on the 1 is really only suited to listening to talk radio, but I have to say that I am disapointed to say the least.

Last edited by BMWfan69; 07-03-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #42
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Mixed reviews...

For me, I mainly care about clean sound. Give me a good, well engineered source, say, a steely dan album, and good reproduction, and Im happy. I think Ill be happy with the HK, but Ill post when I get mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #43
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

it's okay
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #44
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

I've picked mine up now with the HK audio, and echoing what others have said, it's ok but it's not great.

I will note that the PDF I mentioned on the optimum audio settings for HK in the e90/e92 doesn't seem to sound very good in the 1 series. I plugged in these settings and to me it sounded worse than the factory defaults.

I'm finding that the imaging isn't as good in the 1, I'm very aware that the sound is coming from several points (namely the driver's door) rather than feeling like it's coming from all around. At the standard settings the midrange seems to be a bit overwhelming, and the bass feels weak by comparison.

I played with the EQ curve and the bass/treble/fader a bit and got it to sound better (to me), but I don't like it as much as the HK audio in my e46. It feels like when you turn the volume up in the 1, the midrange again gets disproportionally louder and starts to sound a little harsh.

It definitely sounds a little better than the base audio system, but I was expecting more. Hard to say if I'd recommend it or not, I think an quality aftermarket solution would probably sound best but don't know if it's better to build on the base or the HK audio for this.
Appreciate 0