BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

I'm surprised about the negative views about the Sat Nav. It is much more than just a Nav thou and a lot of extra features work much better with it and can be controlled with it.

For example It will display the PDC, all the audio and vehicle settings, tyre pressure etc and in my opinion looks pretty slick. Yes it will age but so will the whole car. Let's face it the dash is from the 1-series hatch and that's 7 years old! Also am I right in thinking the Nav option also gets you the online portal stuff that let's you call BMW and ask them to lock/unlock the car and make restaurant bookings and loads of other stuff? Not sure how much I'll use that thou but nice to have if it's your car.

Also I really don't get the "weight issue" track car argument. I can't imagine that the whole stack can weigh much more than 5kg. It doesn't reduce engine power like the massive AC unit every 1M has. Just put less fuel in and diet surely if Nav weight makes such a difference.

Like Clarkson said, it's USP is that it can be a normal family car. It's not compromised and doesn't have to be!

Get the tints aftermarket thou.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
I'm surprised about the negative views about the Sat Nav. It is much more than just a Nav thou and a lot of extra features work much better with it and can be controlled with it.

For example It will display the PDC, all the audio and vehicle settings, tyre pressure etc and in my opinion looks pretty slick. Yes it will age but so will the whole car. Let's face it the dash is from the 1-series hatch and that's 7 years old! Also am I right in thinking the Nav option also gets you the online portal stuff that let's you call BMW and ask them to lock/unlock the car and make restaurant bookings and loads of other stuff? Not sure how much I'll use that thou but nice to have if it's your car.

Also I really don't get the "weight issue" track car argument. I can't imagine that the whole stack can weigh much more than 5kg. It doesn't reduce engine power like the massive AC unit every 1M has. Just put less fuel in and diet surely if Nav weight makes such a difference.

Like Clarkson said, it's USP is that it can be a normal family car. It's not compromised and doesn't have to be!

To clarify the weight issue...you cannot get the SAT NAV alone in the US and I think the same in UK. You have to get both packages with add all this other stuff like powered seats, PDC, led lighting, self changing mirror, hard drive.
Not countering your point, just clarifying the weight aspect. By the time you add NAV, electric seats, heavier mirror LED lights, PDC and all the other wiring and crap, you have added a bit.

Love tint, the lighter shades better iMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Hi there I need to give my spec in tomorrow.

I have pretty much decided as it is my every day drive to go for black - i'm thinking this will be the most discreet.

The two options I’m struggling with are:

1. Privacy glass - not sure whether the tint with a black car makes it look either a bit smaller - and whether it gives a bit of a dodgy appearance. I like privacy on white or orange, but not sure on the black.

2. Sat Nav - £2100 option - that’s a hell of a lot. I’m not sure I will really use it as I usually drive locally and also own a tomtom which I can stick in the glove box. My worry is that if I don’t option it the car will either be hard to sell or take a bigger hit come resale.

I'd also like people’s opinion of value come resale in 3 years - I’m thinking about £22k - but others may have a better judgement of this.

Thanks very much for any help or opinions.

Mark
Mark so how did you end up spec'ing your car after all this??
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #26
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
lmao
I lmao as well!!

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #27
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Quote:
What is the benefit of getting tints aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #28
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Mate, SAT NAV for a 1M? You don't know your way to work after driving it every day? Don't you something else you can spend that money on?

It will also force you to get the other package (at least in US it does) so it's actually double that money with heavier power seats that sit 1 1/2 " higher so if you're tall will give you less headroom.

Also, you like the PDC holes in your rear bumper that you will be forced to scrape the white wax out every time you wax your black beauty!

Then you get all the extra controls and the big Knob where the good cupholder goes and get some horrible looking afterthought cupholder.

You asked for help. You don't need any of that stuff! Tint's nice but anything else///// Maybe a nice HK stereo and IPod adapter, if it gets cold maybe heated seats..that's IT IMO.

Save the money, you are getting return to what a M as in ///Man car was supposed to be.

Good luck!
That "afterthought upholder" is the best upholder BMW has ever made. And the nav screen is useful for way more than just nav. To me it makes the entire entertainment of the car that much better. I would never have a BMW without it.
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Would have thought aftermarket tints will offer more colour/shade options that BMW won't.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #30
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ah, I see how the US options would make a big difference. I'd be annoyed by electric seats in a two door. In UK thou its all separate.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #31
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Can the nav be viewed with polarized sunglasses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
I lmao as well!!
Not sure why you guys are laughing at him. It's a reasonable question. It is a known issue and I can tell you from first hand experience that polarized sun glasses make HUD invisible and mess with the NAV display as well.
      07-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #32
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Not sure why you guys are laughing at him. It's a reasonable question. It is a known issue and I can tell you from first hand experience that polarized sun glasses make HUD invisible and mess with the NAV display as well.
+1

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #33
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I see how the US options would make a big difference. I'd be annoyed by electric seats in a two door. In UK thou its all separate.
Yes, that changes things a bit. Here you have to get two packages full of crap for about 7K more. Also, I have small kids and the manual seats slide forward faster to let them in then the electric ones. On top of being lighter and sitting lower in the car. I tried both with my kids. The electric ones get old letting kids in and out of the back seat unless you leave them forward a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #34
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

So when u guys order a "stripper" 1M it really is car with just steering wheel, seats and a radio?

Interesting how the marketing departments differ between US and Europe. Your only perspex windows and back seat deletion off a 'CSL'.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #35
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
So when u guys order a "stripper" 1M it really is car with just steering wheel, seats and a radio?

Interesting how the marketing departments differ between US and Europe. Your only perspex windows and back seat deletion off a 'CSL'.
Radio is extra and so is A/C! and you can't get extra seats!

Oh wait! NM ... I was thinking about the 1M "rival" from Porsche ... the Cayman R!

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #36
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I ordered stripper, which still comes with AC, Power Side Bolsters, HiFi stereo, Aux input. All the performance stuff, wheels, tires, brakes, seats, gearbox, power, etc. are the same just meant to be driven not playing with idrive.

I consider mine a sort of CSL by keeping it as light as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #37
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Mine is a stripper + Ipod Adapter. I ordered the $1500 titanium / Carbon Fiber iPod adapter though to save weight.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #38
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Mine is a stripper + Ipod Adapter. I ordered the $1500 titanium / Carbon Fiber iPod adapter though to save weight.
Big mistake! Everyone knows that the new carbon nano-tube unobtanium iPod adapter is the one to get.

If you want to get that exatra 1/5000ths of a second advantage!

I'm probably one of the least experienced people on this board when it comes to performance driving so I'm pretty sure that saving a couple of extra pounds is not going to help me much.

I'll be taking some advanced driving classes and ramping up on track days to see if I can overcome my car's handicap of having that massive Nav system and heated power seats.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0