BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

TPMS Wheel Sensors

Has anybody replaced their TPMS wheel sensors? 36-23-6-798-726 I'm getting set to put new tires on my car and I wonder if that makes for a good time to do this? I have no idea if mine are factory, but the car was built July 2010 and so I wonder if CPO prep got to them (the dealer did the brakes and put new tires on it September 2014, and so best case my sensors are five years old, worst case nine and nine seems unlikely).
      10-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

I got a set from Discount Tire. About 125 for the four. They work.
      10-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I got a set from Tire Rack when I ordered a set of winter tires for the extra set of rashed wheels I have. And they work also.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Has anybody replaced their TPMS wheel sensors? 36-23-6-798-726 I'm getting set to put new tires on my car and I wonder if that makes for a good time to do this? I have no idea if mine are factory, but the car was built July 2010 and so I wonder if CPO prep got to them (the dealer did the brakes and put new tires on it September 2014, and so best case my sensors are five years old, worst case nine and nine seems unlikely).
Got mine from TireRack. Old ones were about seven years old with about 40,000 miles on them and still working. It was time for new tires, so I replaced them.

A word of warning... I had my old tires removed from the wheels so I could clean them up and repair some road rash before the new tires were mounted. I even waxed the wheels until they glistened. They looked fabulous. Then, on a very hot day (over 95 F) one of the strips of balancing weights left the wheel as I was driving through a parking lot. The wax was so slippery, the adhesive on the weights just lost its grip. I feel lucky that it happened at such a low speed. I had all the wheels rebalanced and new weights added after a good alcohol scrubbing.

Peace.... Mack.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Got mine from TireRack. Old ones were about seven years old with about 40,000 miles on them and still working. It was time for new tires, so I replaced them.

A word of warning... I had my old tires removed from the wheels so I could clean them up and repair some road rash before the new tires were mounted. I even waxed the wheels until they glistened. They looked fabulous. Then, on a very hot day (over 95 F) one of the strips of balancing weights left the wheel as I was driving through a parking lot. The wax was so slippery, the adhesive on the weights just lost its grip. I feel lucky that it happened at such a low speed. I had all the wheels rebalanced and new weights added after a good alcohol scrubbing.

Peace.... Mack.
Gotta use some Speed Tape to keep those wheel weights on!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Visited the local Tires Plus yesterday for new rubber... and along the way decided to replace the tire pressure sensors as a preventive measure (car was built in July 2010 and I have no reason to believe the sensors were ever replaced along the way). This Tires Plus has universal sensors that get programmed to what vehicle manufacturer they're being installed on. And after several attempts, my car simply refused to recognize these. And so we put the factory sensors back in and all is well.

A friend's wife had the same experience with her E90.

And so OE BMW TPMS sensors only for these cars.
      11-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Visited the local Tires Plus yesterday for new rubber... and along the way decided to replace the tire pressure sensors as a preventive measure (car was built in July 2010 and I have no reason to believe the sensors were ever replaced along the way). This Tires Plus has universal sensors that get programmed to what vehicle manufacturer they're being installed on. And after several attempts, my car simply refused to recognize these. And so we put the factory sensors back in and all is well.

A friend's wife had the same experience with her E90.

And so OE BMW TPMS sensors only for these cars.
Not necessarily. For my winter tire/wheel setup, I used TPMS sensors from Tire Rack which are not BMW factory sensors and they've been working fine for about 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Not necessarily. For my winter tire/wheel setup, I used TPMS sensors from Tire Rack which are not BMW factory sensors and they've been working fine for about 5 years.
OK fair enough. Use sensors specifically made for a BMW and not something programmable.
      11-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

The ones I got from Discount were programmable.

Discount has two brands. The first set they put in my wife's XC90 was black I think. They didn't work. They put an orange set in I think, and they work fine.

The first set they put in my 128i worked from the get-go. In fact, I have two sets for the 128i from Discount. I put the wheels with the first set on my daughters 323Ci. Even though the car doesn't have TPMS, it was the same $$ to install new ones than get 4 mounted tires, 4 unmounted tires and 4 rims to the shop to have them take the sensors out, rebalance the wheels, etc.

Moral - get the ones that work. Don't be fooled by labels.