BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #23
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed, agreed, agreed, and agreed. Just wanted to counter the notion that it doesn't work which some seem to hold.
Sorry, not "no shit" to you, but just in general. IDK why some seem to think BMWs are some extremely convoluted black box that doesn't follow basic laws of physics. It's hilarious.
      11-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #24
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

They are more like other cars I've owned than different but their battery situation is one of the unusual things. I've never had a car with fusable links on top of the battery. Or one that purposely doesn't charge the battery all the way so it can charge at a high level when you are deaccelerating. Or requires me to tell the car I replaced the battery (in part to support the complicated charging logic I suspect). I've also never had a car with jump connections under the hood or one with the battery in the back. When my ex-wife's car battery failed badly (I suspect the battery had a weak internal connection or something) we could only start it by jumping from both the front and the back. But that worked.

I also saw things when my alternator failed I've never seen before. The windshield wipers came on and other things were acting weirdly. I've had an alternator fail before but the car ran for longer than my BMW did and didn't do nonsense things. But it was a lot older car too.

I've also never had a car with a speedometer designed to read faster than I am going with no way to change it. I've never had a car without a dipstick or a spare tire.

I am 100% OK with the theory that jumping under the hood will allow trunk opening, just commenting that there are some odd things about BMWs, especially the charging logic. It is odd for a reason, but it is not what I'm used to.
      11-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #25
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
They are more like other cars I've owned than different but their battery situation is one of the unusual things. I've never had a car with fusable links on top of the battery. Or one that purposely doesn't charge the battery all the way so it can charge at a high level when you are deaccelerating. Or requires me to tell the car I replaced the battery (in part to support the complicated charging logic I suspect). I've also never had a car with jump connections under the hood or one with the battery in the back. When my ex-wife's car battery failed badly (I suspect the battery had a weak internal connection or something) we could only start it by jumping from both the front and the back. But that worked.

I also saw things when my alternator failed I've never seen before. The windshield wipers came on and other things were acting weirdly. I've had an alternator fail before but the car ran for longer than my BMW did and didn't do nonsense things. But it was a lot older car too.

I've also never had a car with a speedometer designed to read faster than I am going with no way to change it. I've never had a car without a dipstick or a spare tire.

I am 100% OK with the theory that jumping under the hood will allow trunk opening, just commenting that there are some odd things about BMWs, especially the charging logic. It is odd for a reason, but it is not what I'm used to.
Around 2000 my buddy had a late 90s A4. His sunroof started acting funky. He took it to the dealer and they told him his battery had dead cells. New battery fixed the problem. Go figya.