BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Ciarnen
Rep
Drives: Infiniti g35

I know this topic is a dead horse, but I have replaced injectors, sparks, coils, pcv, flapper valve, OFHG and VCG. My car still smokes when coming to a stop, but never at idle or cold start so it shouldn't be the turbos right? Could it be either the primary 02 sensors or do I just need a catch can. For reference catless DP's to a 4" straight pipe with small resonator as I understand this alone could show smoke that was underlying. Also I did neglect to replace the OFCG could that be the issue? As well as recently being randomly thrown the half solid engine light and jb4 switching me from Map 5 to 4
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Did your car smoke before the catless DPs? You will see some additional smoke without cats. OCC is a good upgrade and can eliminate some smoke if it's PCV system related.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Ciarnen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Did your car smoke before the catless DPs? You will see some additional smoke without cats. OCC is a good upgrade and can eliminate some smoke if it's PCV system related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
When I installed the rb pcv and flapper valve there was a very small amount of oil and I didn't think it would be enough to cause that much smoke. I guess time will tell after installing the catch can, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarnen View Post
When I installed the rb pcv and flapper valve there was a very small amount of oil and I didn't think it would be enough to cause that much smoke. I guess time will tell after installing the catch can, thank you.
Let us know if you are looking for an OCC or have other questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Considering you replaced every other thing that could be an issue, it is likely turbo related. Heavy vacuum under a decel condition will usually expose bad turbo seals.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
Ciarnen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Considering you replaced every other thing that could be an issue, it is likely turbo related. Heavy vacuum under a decel condition will usually expose bad turbo seals.
They were rebuilt roughly 20-25k miles ago so I would hope that's not the issue
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #7
myoneseries
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

When one of my turbos went it only smoked coming to a stop and not even every stop. Very pronounced smoke though.

A rebuild out of balance or even clogged oil returns can cause oil to back feed if the seals aren't necessarily bad. If either it will eventually cause the seals to fail.

Pull the down pipes and look at the turbos? I'm assuming you do your own work?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #8
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Check for a leak in the EVAP system first.

When there is a leak there, the vacuum pump can push too much air into the oil pan and it can overwhelm the evac system and push oil and smoke.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #9
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

99% its your turbos. Pull a downpipe and look
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Ciarnen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoneseries View Post
When one of my turbos went it only smoked coming to a stop and not even every stop. Very pronounced smoke though.

A rebuild out of balance or even clogged oil returns can cause oil to back feed if the seals aren't necessarily bad. If either it will eventually cause the seals to fail.

Pull the down pipes and look at the turbos? I'm assuming you do your own work?
That's another thing I thought about was oil the returns. When I get the time off work I'll have to pull them
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
Ciarnen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Check for a leak in the EVAP system first.

When there is a leak there, the vacuum pump can push too much air into the oil pan and it can overwhelm the evac system and push oil and smoke.
Thank you, I'll check this out and report back if the issue is solved
Appreciate 0