BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #67
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Update: There's still *something* rattling on my car when I rev at low RPMs, but 95% of my rattle was solved with the replacement of the defective Akra flapper unit. Going to figure out where the other rattling is coming from, sounds like it's coming from the passenger side...
Ok, good to know it's almost solved.

I checked mine and it has very little play, a lot less than your old valve.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #68
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Ok, I solved my rattle issue. For real this time.

90% of my rattle was coming from excessive play in the valve, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

The other 10% was due to a broken exhaust bracket. See pics below.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #69
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I solved my rattle issue. For real this time.

90% of my rattle was coming from excessive play in the valve, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

The other 10% was due to a broken exhaust bracket. See pics below.
Wow .... I'm happy for you that you finally found it. Never would have guessed it to be a support. How did you actually find it? Did you check the whole exhaust system inch by inch?

That is the support for the mid-section, isn't it? It's a shame that failed. If I remember correctly you have the full Akra system installed, didn't you? If i were you I would definitely contact Akra directly and let them know they let you down, both with the support as with the valve; I know I would appreciate a mail like that if it was my product that was sold. Although a small mistake like that can happen, I expect a high quality product buying from them.

Nevertheless it's a simple repair judging by the pictures, just have it (re-) welded at a local millwright shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #70
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Thanks 1mmaniac.

I guess I left out a big part of the process. I have the full Akrapovic exhaust system. When I found out that my valve was causing some rattling, I contacted Akrapovic with the intention of a work around. Not only did they respond in a very timely and helpful manner, but they offered to replace the valve free of charge. The only catch was I needed to ship the old one back. (I imagine they want to examine the defect).

While swapping out the vacuum line, I reached over under the car and shifted the exhaust around. I could hear some faint metal on metal sounds until I zeroed in on the bracket. At that point it was obvious. I simply removed the bracket but left the part that joins the two pipes together behind.

I reached out to Akrapovic and they shipped out a new bracket the following day..

I was so focused on the rattle that I didn't really talk about how awesome Akrapovic is to deal with and how well they stand behind their products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products again.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #71
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Guys, I'm interested in investing in the full system but I was wondering if any of you know if there's a way to prevent the yellowing of the titanium? Can the whole exhaust system have opti-coat or cquartz applied to it or have some sort of protected coating applied to it to avoid the yellowing?

And if it does yellow, is there a way to clean that off or is it permanent?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #72
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Guys, I'm interested in investing in the full system but I was wondering if any of you know if there's a way to prevent the yellowing of the titanium? Can the whole exhaust system have opti-coat or cquartz applied to it or have some sort of protected coating applied to it to avoid the yellowing?
Exhaust tips: as you got the choice between Carbon Fibre and Titanium tips, get the CF because the Titanium tips start 'bronzing' fairly quickly and irreversibly due to exhaust fumes heat (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903660).
      05-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #73
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks 1mmaniac.

I guess I left out a big part of the process. I have the full Akrapovic exhaust system. When I found out that my valve was causing some rattling, I contacted Akrapovic with the intention of a work around. Not only did they respond in a very timely and helpful manner, but they offered to replace the valve free of charge. The only catch was I needed to ship the old one back. (I imagine they want to examine the defect).

While swapping out the vacuum line, I reached over under the car and shifted the exhaust around. I could hear some faint metal on metal sounds until I zeroed in on the bracket. At that point it was obvious. I simply removed the bracket but left the part that joins the two pipes together behind.

I reached out to Akrapovic and they shipped out a new bracket the following day..

I was so focused on the rattle that I didn't really talk about how awesome Akrapovic is to deal with and how well they stand behind their products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products again.
That's really good to hear. To be honest I expected something like that might had happened as they were pretty supportive to me/my dealer when my tips were not on stock. Glad to hear they offered great service. I wasn't familiar with Akra before I bought my bimmer but reading on line about the quality and hearing a few good service stories finally pushed over to buy an Akra. I only have a slip-on and i think that's already expensive but it's well worth it in my opinion.

You have some sweet rattle-free miles ahead buddy It'll feel like driving a new car now you're no longer irritated

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post

Do you mean the discoloration like shown in this pic?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757720

Simply put, this discoloration is caused by heat. I don't know the exact numbers but google shouted out that Ti oxidizes from 500 degF and up. The colors change in ratio with the temperature and/or exposure time of the material. The discoloration shown in the picture linked above is way, way worse then on my own (slip-on only!). I only have a straw/brownish colored glaze on the mid section of the muffler and a bit on the tips. These are first colors appearing in this process.
I assume the system linked above has seen some long hard runs, maybe track or dyno judging by the colors seen, the amount of material that has changed color and the 2k miles.

I should be removable by removing the top layer of material, so polishing or brushing should do the trick for the lighter colors. Pink, Grey or white will probably stay on permanently but i have no experience with any of this on titanium myself.
I don't know if there are clear coats available for this application, I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #74
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep

ps. is the system still available? I though Akra stopped producing it for the 1m.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #75
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
ps. is the system still available? I though Akra stopped producing it for the 1m.
The information several months ago was that production was discontinued (quite logically, given the limited production run of the 1M). But there are still in stock, I guess.
      05-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #76
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
It would be nice to get a Group buy organized for the Akro 1M exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #77
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweine View Post
It would be nice to get a Group buy organized for the Akro 1M exhaust.
They're no longer being manu'd, although there may be some old stock at some vendors.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #78
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
I still see them available at many vendors, however the prices are rediculous. Largest discount was 10% at Vivid Racing
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #79
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Just ordered one today. The manufacturing of the exhausts are discontinued however akra has a stock of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #80
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
That's really good to hear. To be honest I expected something like that might had happened as they were pretty supportive to me/my dealer when my tips were not on stock. Glad to hear they offered great service. I wasn't familiar with Akra before I bought my bimmer but reading on line about the quality and hearing a few good service stories finally pushed over to buy an Akra. I only have a slip-on and i think that's already expensive but it's well worth it in my opinion.

You have some sweet rattle-free miles ahead buddy It'll feel like driving a new car now you're no longer irritated

Do you mean the discoloration like shown in this pic?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757720

Simply put, this discoloration is caused by heat. I don't know the exact numbers but google shouted out that Ti oxidizes from 500 degF and up. The colors change in ratio with the temperature and/or exposure time of the material. The discoloration shown in the picture linked above is way, way worse then on my own (slip-on only!). I only have a straw/brownish colored glaze on the mid section of the muffler and a bit on the tips. These are first colors appearing in this process.
I assume the system linked above has seen some long hard runs, maybe track or dyno judging by the colors seen, the amount of material that has changed color and the 2k miles.

I should be removable by removing the top layer of material, so polishing or brushing should do the trick for the lighter colors. Pink, Grey or white will probably stay on permanently but i have no experience with any of this on titanium myself.
I don't know if there are clear coats available for this application, I doubt it.

You're absolutely correct that the discoloration is oxidation caused by heat. I have an Akrapovic EVO full titanium exhaust on my Yamaha R1. Almost immediately the headers turned bronze. The bronze turned to light blue, then deep purple/blue/green. The color eventually moved its way all the way to the carbon fiber cans. However, given enough time and heat, the headers turned to a dull gray. I've tried everything to polish off the oxidation and have found nothing seems to work. If you rather have blue tips instead of bronze, I'm sure you could hit them with a propane torch and get the effect. Problem is...if you don't like it, it's not reversible.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #81
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
My friends have the akra exhaust on their m3's. I love the bronze color it turns. Looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #82
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
My friends have the akra exhaust on their m3's. I love the bronze color it turns. Looks awesome.
It does. And on the M3, it sounds 100 times better than it looks.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #83
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I love the Akra for it's subtle looks. The only downside is that on 1m on the mid section of the muffler will change color..... and it's in plain sight when driving behind it.... I would have prefered a matt black finish just so it wouldn't stand out (I hate seeing it on any car for that matter.... it looks cheap to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I've only heard a 1m, 2011 m3 and 2013 sls amg irl with an Akra.... it rocks on an all of them this was my first aftermarket exhaust and I was shocked by the cost at first. But after doing some research on other brands and eventually having it installed it was totally worth it. If i every buy another performance car ever again I'll be looking for an Akra first.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #84
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac
Quote:
I love the Akra for it's subtle looks. The only downside is that on 1m on the mid section of the muffler will change color..... and it's in plain sight when driving behind it.... I would have prefered a matt black finish just so it wouldn't stand out (I hate seeing it on any car for that matter.... it looks cheap to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I've only heard a 1m, 2011 m3 and 2013 sls amg irl with an Akra.... it rocks on an all of them this was my first aftermarket exhaust and I was shocked by the cost at first. But after doing some research on other brands and eventually having it installed it was totally worth it. If i every buy another performance car ever again I'll be looking for an Akra first.
You could always paint them or run non titanium exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #85
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine is still running 'strange'. Besides the sound i also notice a change and the throttle position vs rpm (or torque) this is noticable on downshifts since my rev matching is off. The car is also 'jerking' more in the very low rpm (around 1200 rpm, noticed it driving in traffic jams). To me it feels like the engine is running leaner.

BTW, mine i running and sounding like before again To be honest I don't know exactly what the root cause is because a couple of things changed and the 'return' was not as sudden:
- the weather has been quite a bit warmer the last couple of weeks
- I've done a few long runs where I changed the load significantly, long WOT pulls from 1000 to high rpms and longer runs driving higher rpm's
- did the 'reset' throttle response, I honestly didn't feel any change
- I'm driving a lot more with the valve closed (white/silent mode). This is relative since I ALWAYS drove with the valve open, I think it's 50/50 now.
Appreciate 0