BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2024, 08:46 PM   #1
Ericcphoto
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i bmw E82

BMW 128 fuel pump issues (FUEL PUMP MODLUE)

so I had my fuel pump go out about a month ago with a crank no start, easy fix right replace the fuel pump took about 30 min not to hard to do yourself if you have a SULEV Fuel Pump let me save you the trouble, to get the pump out you twist it out counter clock wise don't be scared to give it strength to it the first time i did it it was about 2 hours trying to figure out how it worked until i messaged one of my mechanic friends.

that's why I'm making this post is because i could not find anything about it online.

car ran fine for about 25 min and then died on the freeway i thought i might have kinked a line while i was putting it back together, i towed it to my shop and it fired right up, drove it home completely fine no issues. next day i do the same 25 min commute to work and same thing happened it died. Did some research and i could not find anything about it online most things where saying it could be something with my DME or battery, but it was none of those.

turns out it was my fuel pump module! went to the junk yard pulled one off another BMW and thought it on, i did not have to recode mine to my BMW but i have heard you might need to.

so what happened is that the fuel pump module would overheat and when it overheats it cuts all power going to the fuel pump till it cools down to operating temp that's why it fired right up when it got back to my shop. so that could be one of the issues before you go replacing the DME !!

just wrote this from for anyone that might have this issue in the future, they tend to go out after 150k - 250k and if your past that then it just means you got a good module that was made correctly hahah
GOOD LUCK
Appreciate 2