BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

BMW M "Movie" Icon - Everyday Driver

If you watch these guys youtube videos and you have an M you'll like this movie. They do a decent job, yes its not topgear (TGT) but its about the cars.

The go from the E30 M3 upto the M2 and everything in between...they pick a top 3, guess who's #1!

Vimeo On Demand

https://www.youtube.com/user/EverydayDriver
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
dturn37
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Just watched it! Great video
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Nice!

Results:

#1 - 1M
#2 - M2
#3 - Tie b/w E90 M3 & F8X M3/4

Last edited by buddalun; 12-09-2016 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Lasted 1 min and didn't show anything. Is there a new link?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think there's an hourlong pay video on Vimeo.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
dturn37
Private First Class
Rep

It's an hour long video going through almost every M car. Definitely worth the $3 on Vimeo.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I think there's an hourlong pay video on Vimeo.
Thanks. I watch an pay later. What were
The top 3?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturn37 View Post
It's an hour long video going through almost every M car. Definitely worth the $3 on Vimeo.
What a pain. Don't mind paying but tried through YouTube, gmail, can't figure out how to get the paid version. Is it Vimeo.com?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
dturn37
Private First Class
Rep

http://www.everydaydriver.com/films
Go here and youll see the vimeo on demand link
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I watched it... it was done pretty well... love the outcome

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 1
nachob2309.50
      12-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Great review. Very fair to both m2 and 1M. Two great cars with winning points on both sides. I felt the same way which is why I went back to 1M. Still love M2 but so happy there are some others that see what I see in the pumpkin.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10525.50
      12-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Nice!

Results:

#1 - 1M
#2 - M2
#3 - Tie b/w E90 M3 & F8X M3/4
Is that a guess or the true result?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Old link for the same guys that most 1st gen 1M owners probably saw...
1M vs M3
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10525.50
      12-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #14
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Is that a guess or the true result?
True result indeed. What an achievement for our little friend.
Appreciate 2
nachob2309.50
      12-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

I guess we should post that on M2 forum so they can hate us even more.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nah, they love their M2 as much as we love ours.

These cars are very close as they said in the video and it really comes down to a few minor things and individual preference. As my dad used to say the best wine in the world is the one that YOU like.

For example, I agree with the two guys in the video that the M2 overall looks amazing and probably better stylistically than the 1M. It also sounds better stock and is quicker and easier to drive. But in order to get that, you make some sacrifices. Less steering feedback, comfort button, fake sound, heavier power seats (although it looks like BMW supplied them the M2 which most press cars had manual seats even though not offered to us), ugly interior for my taste, rev-matching that can't be turned off without disabling traction control, busy gadgety small instruments with oil temp gauge delete, squishier gearbox in MT, ubiquity of of manual and automatic versions, "comfort" mode, mandatory idrive and screen on top of dash in worst possible location for serious driver, etc.

All of these little foibles add up to water down the formula enough that when the calculus is done, the 1M is better for me. I place a high value to driver focused cockpits, how a car drives and feels and "specialness."

The no-nav cockpit in my 1M is so focused for a modern BMW much like the M3 no-nav cockpit in the video that they praised. The instruments are big and clear with oil gauge. There is no comfort button, auto-blipping, fake sound, good steering feedback, great clutch and gearbox feedback too. These core traits that I value, are outstanding.

Most people put more emphasis on "doing it all" they prefer all-in-one fax, copier, printer devices versus a really good quality printer. They love gadgets and only care about the bottom line. How much does it cost, how many gadgets do you get for it and how fast does it go. So to, many the M2 which is amazing at so many things, is a better car for them and they can't understand why anyone would give up all those things.

We are all different people and that is a good thing and it's OK to like and value different things. When I was younger and traveled through Europe I made a decision to see less cities and spend more time in them. Meet more poeple and learn their ways. Most in my group decided to visit as many cities as they could. They would spend two days in Florence, I spent nine days, 1 day in Corfu, I was still in Florence, met some locals that showed me around.

When we all returned to the US they had an awesome scrapbook from every major european city and I only had a few in same time but I have letters from friends I made there and some have come to visit and I have visited them again. Both ways are good, it's just that some of us believe that the how you get to a place is just as important as the destination and the 1M suits that. You will not tick off as many destinations but you are rewarded on the way there. It is more focused and simpler and engaging.

This isn't religion where I am trying to convince M2 people of it, simply to explain it to them because they think we're crazy because they can tick off so many boxes.

Finally, on the topic of those that had 1M as changed to M2, I was there from the beginning. Many bought the 1M because it was the next great thing and most were not really buying into what it was intended as a back to basics car. I recall, Dr. Segler saying "most will order it like this, with no options." He was wrong, in the US most were ordered loaded. Many people got allocations because they were regular customers that got M cars every couple of years. Then they complained because it didn't have dynamic suspension, or real carbon roof and someone even complained their vanity mirror didn't have a light! Many have moved on now to something that suits them better and I am hopeful that many of these 1Ms will end up in the hands of those that truly appreciate what they are and what they were intended to be which was a return to basics were the joy came from driving dynamics and feel and getting to the destination, even if .2 seconds behind, should be more engaging.
Appreciate 1
Nkc1600.50
      12-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #17
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Nah, they love their M2 as much as we love ours.

These cars are very close as they said in the video and it really comes down to a few minor things and individual preference. As my dad used to say the best wine in the world is the one that YOU like.

For example, I agree with the two guys in the video that the M2 overall looks amazing and probably better stylistically than the 1M. It also sounds better stock and is quicker and easier to drive. But in order to get that, you make some sacrifices. Less steering feedback, comfort button, fake sound, heavier power seats (although it looks like BMW supplied them the M2 which most press cars had manual seats even though not offered to us), ugly interior for my taste, rev-matching that can't be turned off without disabling traction control, busy gadgety small instruments with oil temp gauge delete, squishier gearbox in MT, ubiquity of of manual and automatic versions, "comfort" mode, mandatory idrive and screen on top of dash in worst possible location for serious driver, etc.

All of these little foibles add up to water down the formula enough that when the calculus is done, the 1M is better for me. I place a high value to driver focused cockpits, how a car drives and feels and "specialness."

The no-nav cockpit in my 1M is so focused for a modern BMW much like the M3 no-nav cockpit in the video that they praised. The instruments are big and clear with oil gauge. There is no comfort button, auto-blipping, fake sound, good steering feedback, great clutch and gearbox feedback too. These core traits that I value, are outstanding.

Most people put more emphasis on "doing it all" they prefer all-in-one fax, copier, printer devices versus a really good quality printer. They love gadgets and only care about the bottom line. How much does it cost, how many gadgets do you get for it and how fast does it go. So to, many the M2 which is amazing at so many things, is a better car for them and they can't understand why anyone would give up all those things.

We are all different people and that is a good thing and it's OK to like and value different things. When I was younger and traveled through Europe I made a decision to see less cities and spend more time in them. Meet more poeple and learn their ways. Most in my group decided to visit as many cities as they could. They would spend two days in Florence, I spent nine days, 1 day in Corfu, I was still in Florence, met some locals that showed me around.

When we all returned to the US they had an awesome scrapbook from every major european city and I only had a few in same time but I have letters from friends I made there and some have come to visit and I have visited them again. Both ways are good, it's just that some of us believe that the how you get to a place is just as important as the destination and the 1M suits that. You will not tick off as many destinations but you are rewarded on the way there. It is more focused and simpler and engaging.

This isn't religion where I am trying to convince M2 people of it, simply to explain it to them because they think we're crazy because they can tick off so many boxes.

Finally, on the topic of those that had 1M as changed to M2, I was there from the beginning. Many bought the 1M because it was the next great thing and most were not really buying into what it was intended as a back to basics car. I recall, Dr. Segler saying "most will order it like this, with no options." He was wrong, in the US most were ordered loaded. Many people got allocations because they were regular customers that got M cars every couple of years. Then they complained because it didn't have dynamic suspension, or real carbon roof and someone even complained their vanity mirror didn't have a light! Many have moved on now to something that suits them better and I am hopeful that many of these 1Ms will end up in the hands of those that truly appreciate what they are and what they were intended to be which was a return to basics were the joy came from driving dynamics and feel and getting to the destination, even if .2 seconds behind, should be more engaging.
To be honest i haven't listen to the video so I don't know their way of judging. On the other hand I'm impress that a car like the 1M that was created on a budget with a short time line is still doing that great compared with cars that had huge R&D funds. But you are right each individual have different preferences. Seeing the 1M being that good compared to the M2 is a good sign for me that I shouldn't trade mine. It
remind me of this:
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #18
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

IMO the fact that the antiquated 1M is still ranking so well after 6 years is precisely the reason why an M2 CS is being built. There are those of us that still want a true driver's car and hopefully BMW M engineers have enough pride to try and recapture that magic yet again for us.
I am on a strict diet of Top Ramen until my allocation drops.
Appreciate 1
Nkc1600.50
      12-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #19
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Nacho my good friend. You always articulate the story well ... will you just go out and get your mods done so you don;t have to worry about that .2 seconds

Finally brought 1mGator to Florida - Ryan and I will be "adjusting" some more soon
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Thankful to own two of these beasts:

Name:  Vader and Trooper.JPG
Views: 1729
Size:  992.3 KB

Name:  House of M.png
Views: 1788
Size:  2.93 MB
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #21
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
IMO the fact that the antiquated 1M is still ranking so well after 6 years is precisely the reason why an M2 CS is being built. There are those of us that still want a true driver's car and hopefully BMW M engineers have enough pride to try and recapture that magic yet again for us.
I am on a strict diet of Top Ramen until my allocation drops.
Nice! I'm in the same boat!
      12-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #22
Win
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

1M
Appreciate 0