BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

n54 135i overheating

Ok so to start off i replaced my waterpump and thermostat with a few hoses about 4 months ago and all is good until last night i take it out and boom i get the temp orange light followed by a red light which i then quickly turn off the car ( note i was having battery issues for the last 3 days before this but nothing major but when i tried flashing xhp it wasnt working due to low voltage since it got really cold in ny so i understand there was probably slightly more strain into the battery from the cold and its bout 4 yrs old) so i bring her home little by little and i enter the bleed cycle and it sounds well and goes off well. Although when i initiated the bleed cycle it wouldnt stop i counted 20 min it just kept going so whatever i interupted it and jump in for a ride and all is well until it reaches 215° then the heat from the vents starts blowing cold and it continues to overheat.

What i tried doing is i went underneath and unplugged and replugged the waterpump and i started it up while on jumpers from my other car but still the same outcome. The battery starts the car up fine even after a week of it not being on.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
thibb001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Monaco Blue 6MT

is there any leaking?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
First thing- get a new battery installed and coded. It's a "must have" for good electricity, and all kinds of odd things can/will happen when the battery isn't in good shape. Do it yourself, or pay somebody, but get it done. You can't reliably troubleshoot anything else until that's done, doubly so when the seasons change to cold- a classic time for batteries to fail.

Then get your cooling straight before playing with tuning anything including xHP. I'd bet your bleed cycle works properly with good voltage...
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibb001 View Post
is there any leaking?
it appears for some strange reason i didnt include this but at the first time it overheated like a spurt of coolant was released near the expansion tank side even the passenger suspension and motor mount was slightly soaked of it as well as the hood near that section. I would say a cup at most but i coudnt tell exactly where it originated from and it didnt leak no more afterwards i was thinking some sort of pressure occured at the expansion tank from the pump intermittitently not working..

But worst of all is the fact that i dont have any codes whatsoever.

But i do agree on a faulty battery possibly causing all kinds of wierd shit to happen atleast i bought my waterpump kit from fcp so i can have it covered on the parts side and i will go ahead and replace it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
First thing- get a new battery installed and coded. It's a "must have" for good electricity, and all kinds of odd things can/will happen when the battery isn't in good shape. Do it yourself, or pay somebody, but get it done. You can't reliably troubleshoot anything else until that's done, doubly so when the seasons change to cold- a classic time for batteries to fail.

Then get your cooling straight before playing with tuning anything including xHP. I'd bet your bleed cycle works properly with good voltage...
replaced the battery but replacing the waterpump again is what fixed it..
Appreciate 1
1and11855.00
      11-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
Ok so to start off i replaced my waterpump and thermostat with a few hoses about 4 months ago and all is good until last night i take it out and boom i get the temp orange light followed by a red light which i then quickly turn off the car ( note i was having battery issues for the last 3 days before this but nothing major but when i tried flashing xhp it wasnt working due to low voltage since it got really cold in ny so i understand there was probably slightly more strain into the battery from the cold and its bout 4 yrs old) so i bring her home little by little and i enter the bleed cycle and it sounds well and goes off well. Although when i initiated the bleed cycle it wouldnt stop i counted 20 min it just kept going so whatever i interupted it and jump in for a ride and all is well until it reaches 215° then the heat from the vents starts blowing cold and it continues to overheat.

What i tried doing is i went underneath and unplugged and replugged the waterpump and i started it up while on jumpers from my other car but still the same outcome. The battery starts the car up fine even after a week of it not being on.
Sounds to me like you have a coolant leak. Similar thing happened to me. When it's running through the cycle do you see any fluid draining out onto the ground?

Coolant cycle wouldn't stop for me because it was just dumping coolant everywhere. Luckily it was just an o-ring.

I'd recommend jacking the car up, run it through the cycle and look for any leaks and follow it until you can pinpoint where it's coming from.
Appreciate 1
dsocold198.00