BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #67
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

I'll be going for an e92 M3 or moving to a Porsche Cayman S or slightly used 997 Turbo. I think BMW has succesfully pissed off enough people with this "M1" *1M* nonsense. I'm glad they named this the 1M because it was a lackluster effort to put M cars into the hands of young enthusiasts!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #68
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

For knowing almost none of the pertinent performance details of this car, there's a shocking number of angry and upset reactions in this thread. Those sort of knee-jerk reactions are premature IMO. I'd rather pass sound judgment once were given solid tangible details.

BMW has typically done an excellent job of estimating consumer demand for a vehicle and I doubt this release will be an exception. Keep in mind that the 1 series by itself sells only a fraction of what the 3 series sells, that the car is only coming equipped in manual, and that previous specialty M's like the M coupe and the z4m have typically sold less than 2000 cars per year... All these factors lead one to conclude that 2700 is probably a more accurate estimate of demand than we give it credit for.

Now if the car ends up kicking some serious ass and becomes the sleeper hit of the automotive year, then I could foresee the possibility that the demand outpaces the 2700 prediction.

My .02
-esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #69
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
I think 2700 is ridiculous. How is this going to be the "attainable M?'
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #70
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I would think the US would get more than 500 units, at least 1000 sounds more realistic. Maybe 500 per year for the 2 year run?

For those saying that they may make more after testing the waters, I can't see that happening because the new 1series will be out in 2012 so the 1M will only last maybe 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #71
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

So we have two possibilities with this limited production: BMW accurately predicts the demand and sells all of the allocation without causing a buying frenzy, much like the Z4 M Coupe. Or we have an E46 M3 CSL situation where demand far outstrips supply and the car is a collector's dream (and I realize it's not apples-to-apples because the CSL wasn't released in N. America, but from what I understand, they're next-to-impossible to find even in the European market).

Already have my money down on a 1M and I'm fairly certain I'll get one at a very good price regardless, so I'm selfishly hoping for the latter case. But if I had to make a prediction, I'd say the former situation is more likely to occur, reason being that the 1er already doesn't sell in vast quantities. Add to that the manual only, limited colors, and possibly very limited options, and I can see 500 units being a good number. The only kink in the plan is that the 500 may artificially drive up the demand, with many people looking to get a 1M only because the numbers are limited. How does BMW solve that problem? By increasing production, you'll likely decrease the demand. Just something else that we'll have to wait to find out...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #72
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

The problem is: you can not claim a car is collectable after many years if it can not run.

The current BMW turbo engine does not mean for reliability. Therefore the only way you keep the 1M to be collectable is not driving it and store it in your garage; or consistently spend money to keep it healthy after warranty ends.

On the other hand, people who are weathly enough to do this normally not buy cars in this price range......
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #73
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post
The problem is: you can not claim a car is collectable after many years if it can not run.

The current BMW turbo engine does not mean for reliability. Therefore the only way you keep the 1M to be collectable is not driving it and store it in your garage; or consistently spend money to keep it healthy after warranty ends.

On the other hand, people who are weathly enough to do this normally not buy cars in this price range......
Can you exaggerate the HPFP any more?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #74
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Can you exaggerate the HPFP any more?
It is facts.

All current collectable cars belong to one of the following 2 categories:

1. It is really limited produced. I mean single digit production or 20 - 30 units build, not exceeding 100 units;

2. It is build in bulk quantity (like thousands), but people initially do not know it will be collectable in the future, so very few are left in good condition after many years.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #75
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
It is facts.

1. It is really limited produced. I mean single digit production or 20 - 30 units build, not exceeding 100 units;

2. It is build in bulk quantity (like thousands), but people initially do not know it will be collectable in the future, so very few are left in good condition after many years.
How collectable or not the car is has nothing to do with the HPFP, maybe I am not getting what you are saying?

Sounded like you were saying the 1M won't be collectable because it has reliability issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #76
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
It is facts.

Not true. Porsche built 1,570 of the 1973 Carrera 2.7 and they are selling at auction for $300k lately and they were immediately popular upon release as classics (sold out the entire initial production run on the first day).
      09-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #77
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Not true. Porsche built 1,570 of the 1973 Carrera 2.7 and they are selling at auction for $300k lately and they were immediately popular upon release as classics (sold out the entire initial production run on the first day).
I assume you are mentioning the 1973 Carrera 2.7 RS which has 1580 (some sources said 1590) units build?

If yes, then this is another scenario: Carrera 2.7 RS is what Porsche purposely designed and build for entering racing formulae that demanded that a certain minimum number of production cars were made. They are sold by demand, not by pre-defined limited production numbers. Porsche internal document showed that back in 1972 they 'planned to build at least 500 cars'. The 1973 model is describe by Porsche as 'limited production' means such configuration (engine, body etc.) was only build in that model year, you can order as much as you can if you have money; but after that year, Porsche just stop producing such configuration (the 1974 US version Carrera only has the 165 bhp CIS engine due to emission regulation).

Now back to our topic: if 1M is dedicated designed and build (like the M3, M5), not just a rush project product to seize out last drop of profit from a retiring old platform, not 'borrow' other model's parts in order to save costs, and for 2700 production number, I can say it might have a chance to become a collector's car; But look at the 1M now, see how and why it was developed, I seriously doubt it can keep value as good as the 8 series...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #78
MkLV_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madozu View Post

The only information about the 1M that disappoints me is that it will only exist in two non-colors (white & black) and metallic orange.

I was hoping, that there will be a blue version of the 1M
+1

I was hoping for Le Mans Blue as an option
      09-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #79
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
I assume you are mentioning the 1973 Carrera 2.7 RS which has 1580 (some sources said 1590) units build?

If yes, then this is another scenario: Carrera 2.7 RS is what Porsche purposely designed and build for entering racing formulae that demanded that a certain minimum number of production cars were made. They are sold by demand, not by pre-defined limited production numbers. Porsche internal document showed that back in 1972 they 'planned to build at least 500 cars'. The 1973 model is describe by Porsche as 'limited production' means such configuration (engine, body etc.) was only build in that model year, you can order as much as you can if you have money; but after that year, Porsche just stop producing such configuration (the 1974 US version Carrera only has the 165 bhp CIS engine due to emission regulation).

Now back to our topic: if 1M is dedicated designed and build (like the M3, M5), not just a rush project product to seize out last drop of profit from a retiring old platform, not 'borrow' other model's parts in order to save costs, and for 2700 production number, I can say it might have a chance to become a collector's car; But look at the 1M now, see how and why it was developed, I seriously doubt it can keep value as good as the 8 series...

Hmmm, I believe the E30 M3 borrowed nearly the entire e30 chassis and interior then ///M put their magic touch on it. Suspension bits were M specific, engine and tranny were M specific, bod panels were M specific, the rear roof line was modified. Almost all of the interior bits were E30 with exception of the seats, door panels, carpets and rear deck lid. The new 1M will be the same.

The E30 m3 sat on dealer lots and could not be sold with only 5,000 units being allocated to the US over 4yrs. This car is now a classic and in great condition is worth more than the E36 and E46 counterparts.

T
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #80
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
2,700 units? I doubt very much. Not worth the engineering / development cost.
Good statement to get you guys off the fence and into the dealership to place your orders early.. as soon as they start taking them.
      09-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #81
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Makes sense for BMW to put the limitations on this car (colors, and production numbers), because otherwise their M3 sales would be severely affected.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #82
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Why is everyone so surprised? We've been hearing this for several months. Of course its going to be a limited edition car. I'm glad somebody brought up the 5,000 units of the E30 BMW moved in 5 years.

FWIW, BMWUSA sells on average about 800 1 series cars a month. Thats it. Its not clear what percentages are 128i, 135i, or the verts. I'm sure their 1M allocations will be fine.

The color and tranny limitations will help keep the posers away. To be honest, if a person passes on the 1M b/c a lack of color choices, I'M GLAD THEY'RE NOT BUYING.
      09-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #83
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Makes sense for BMW to put the limitations on this car (colors, and production numbers), because otherwise their M3 sales would be severely affected.
The M3 came out in 2008, the 2011s are already out, they are having a Ron of special editions to the point it looks like BMW took a page out of Ford's book (in regards to the Mustang)...the 1M would not have put much of dent in M3 sales,
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #84
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post

The color and tranny limitations will help keep the posers away. To be honest, if a person passes on the 1M b/c a lack of color choices, I'M GLAD THEY'RE NOT BUYING.
Insults from a moderator?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #85
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
All this M pure garbage and strip tease all leads up to a anticlimatic disappointment liken unto going down to Brazil, finding the "woman" of your dreams, get her naked and seeing that she is packing---more than you are (never happened to me, just trying to give imagery to illustrate my frustration)...

LMAO.

Been to Brazil four times, and hooked up with lots of pretty ladies but this has never happened to me either.... the key is to look for the adams apple!
      09-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #86
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
So, lets see, BMW wants to get younger enthusists into an M car, and emulate the E30 M3. So they way to do that is limit the production to 2700 young, ready in waiting enthusiasts, when in reality, this said limited production will probably drive the price up over the price of a current M3.

Nice strategy.

If we review things that Scott has been saying,

(as here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=89)

we can see how far off the 1M Coupe happened to be.

No DCT
No Cabrio
Young enthusiasts not likely to either afford, or get hold of limited supply

Yet to be determined- carbon fiber roof.
No carbon roof.

Why I know, b/c I touched the real one at Miramas as well. Although the roof was under wraps, I was able to knock on the roof quite a bit and it certainly was not CF.

The car in person is stunning. However, the lack of DCT really kills it for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #87
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
No carbon roof.

Why I know, b/c I touched the real one at Miramas as well. Although the roof was under wraps, I was able to knock on the roof quite a bit and it certainly was not CF.

The car in person is stunning. However, the lack of DCT really kills it for me.
You seem pretty sure. Everything looks as if they're really trying to keep the price in check.
      09-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #88
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
WTF!!!! It seems that when BMW finally gets it right in a car and listens to what us enthusiasts want, they have to take it away from us by only making 2700!!!! It seemed to good to be true, a light, fast, raw BMW that we could ALL enjoy, yeah right.
my sentiments exactly, punish the driving enthusiasts.

But. look at the bright side. You can buy a X5M or X6M anytime you want.
Appreciate 0