BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #45
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Bad mother effin eh! That's all I gotta say lol.
      06-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #46
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

It's rare that Jeremy Clarkson would give such unqualified praise, especially to a bimmer. Usually, even if he said a bimmer is good overall , he will slam it for various alleged imperfections, whatever he thinks those problems are.

So if even Clarkson says the 1M is that great, it has to be pretty darn good in the perfomance and handling department. Still, I kinda prefer the cayman in the looks department, since I think it looks so sexy. But if comes time to actually buy one, I'm still leaning towards the 1M for it's overall performance, but darn, that cayman does look so nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #47
kumar911
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M & 2014 Cayenne Diesel

What an amazing review, so happy that Jeremy loves the 1M. Can't wait to get mine next week!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #48
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Can't believe everyone seems to hang on that idiot's every word, some even seem to need to wait for his approval before they can like a car themselves.

Man up FFS.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #49
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
Can't believe everyone seems to hang on that idiot's every word, some even seem to need to wait for his approval before they can like a car themselves.

Man up FFS.
No one is hanging on anybody's word. I find it amusing how someone like Clarkson would give such qualified praise to a bimmer when usually he goes off slamming it and only after then to praise it. Either way, whatever he thinks doesn't change what I think of the 1M.

People love watching Top Gear for it's entertainment value, not because it is the most reliable or non-biased source of car reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #50
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
The review only makes me wonder further why did I not put a deposit for a second one...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #51
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Awesome video. Just saw a VO in person at a local car meet. Very aggressive looking reminds me of a pit bull to some degree.

Maybe I should sell the 335 for a AW 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #52
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I think the reason a lot of people listen and trust the top gear crew is because they are honest blokes. Unlike 99.9% of the automotive industry reviewers they will actually speak their minds about a car (and they have torn apart quite a few). They are enthusiasts, not just journalists. I had a feeling they would like it (power oversteer is hard to dislike) but I wasn't expecting them to go this gaga over it. Good stuff! Thanks for posting.
      06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #53
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

That car scoots like a rabid raccoon on speedball and redbull. BMW hit the nail on the head on their first attempt on a FI ///M car. The future looks good for other ///M cars.
      06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #54
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
It's rare that Jeremy Clarkson would give such unqualified praise, especially to a bimmer. Usually, even if he said a bimmer is good overall , he will slam it for various alleged imperfections, whatever he thinks those problems are.

So if even Clarkson says the 1M is that great, it has to be pretty darn good in the perfomance and handling department. Still, I kinda prefer the cayman in the looks department, since I think it looks so sexy. But if comes time to actually buy one, I'm still leaning towards the 1M for it's overall performance, but darn, that cayman does look so nice!
Well said and I agree. Yeah the Cayman is better looking IMO as well. It's when people say the 1M is actually ugly they lose all credibility in my book. Plenty of seriously ugly cars in the world and though the 1M is not the sexiest design, it is far from ugly.
      06-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #55
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
...it is far from ugly.
I wouldn't say that....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #56
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

awesome vid. the 1m is just getting more and more impressive as time goes on! i can't wait to see what the next gen M3 has to offer

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #57
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Ugh... I want one.

Spent the day autocrossing my 330i, which is a much better car than I am a driver and I still want to got 40k in the hole for that car after watching that video.
      06-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #58
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
I think the reason a lot of people listen and trust the top gear crew is because they are honest blokes. Unlike 99.9% of the automotive industry reviewers they will actually speak their minds about a car (and they have torn apart quite a few). They are enthusiasts, not just journalists. I had a feeling they would like it (power oversteer is hard to dislike) but I wasn't expecting them to go this gaga over it. Good stuff! Thanks for posting.
This.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #59
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
It's nice to know (for now) BMW can still build a proper M car.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #60
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

I've heard of guys who, when younger and had the means, have bought a brand new BMW, maybe not the BMW they were absolutely lusting over. But a BMW that did everything they needed and put a smile on their face. It was a car that they were proud of. They took care of it. And it reciprocated. Then one day, life knocked on the door.
A girlfriend showed up. Then a fiance. Finally a wife. Money for modding the car had to go to a mortgage. And the icing on the cake was a coupe isn't the ideal place for a baby seat.
A wagon, SUV, or dare I say, minivan was needed.
And the BMW had to go.

But some how, they found their way back to BMW.Whether it be in a.....
3.0 CS....
Any M3.....
An E39 M5.....
Or maybe even after retirement- Z8.

After watching that clip, I have a very strange feeling.

My girlfriend may become my fiance. Then my wife. The modding stops and home improvements begin. My child's first word may be "hoffmeister kink". My E92 will be traded in for something more practical. And after everything gets settled, and I'll need my own daily driver and a way to find myself behind the wheel of a BMW again, this is the car I'll go looking for.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #61
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Great review.. that cockster looked awesome though..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #62
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Well said and I agree. Yeah the Cayman is better looking IMO as well. It's when people say the 1M is actually ugly they lose all credibility in my book. Plenty of seriously ugly cars in the world and though the 1M is not the sexiest design, it is far from ugly.
People should wait until they see one in the flesh before commenting. It is a very cool car indeed up close...
      06-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #63
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy99 View Post
Funny review, specially at the end!

It looked great on that track, I really liked that.

The car is quite good per se, very good as matter of fact given the reviews I`ve read here, and its interesting how it sometimes outperforms other german competitors, like the Cayman R etc, , but it is something ironic, that it can`t really outperform a live axle car, with a kinda similar price tag, (one $7K cheaper thou):

Yes, you know who it is, Boss 302. (not even the laguna seca version)

Numbers wise, Boss is faster to 60, traps way higher, faster at the 1/4 mile, with a faster time and more avg grip at the Motor trend`s 8 figure.
Braking and skidpad grip is even.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

Where you can compare it against his big brother M3

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

Ford Boss 302 test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...302_-road_test

You get that the 1M had more grip, even braking, thou acceleration wise, 1M had and has no chance against the boss.

For the same price of a 1M, there is the laguna seca version, which "dances with porsches" as road and track said here, and of course, makes the 1M look just a little kid. Laguna seca version is just a f***king monster.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/ca...02-laguna-seca

"The car’s neck-wrenching 1.02g on the skidpad and 74.0-mph romp through the slalom make the Boss 302 the best-handling production Mustang ever, but the most impressive thing about it was its durability—it lapped Laguna Seca for two straight days needing only a few fuel stops and tire changes. Most other production cars wouldn’t have lasted five laps. And oh yeah, it laid down a lap time of 1:39.5 sec., which should make Porsche 911 GT3 and Nissan GT-R drivers take notice."

So all in all, this was to have things in perspective of what money can buy today perfomance wise for around $40K to $50K.

I`ll say we are living in pretty good times

So everybody, enjoy your 1Ms.

Thank you for your hard work in putting up those links. A lot of "First Drives." No real comparisons just numbers.

It has impressive number, too bad its a Ford.

I feel real bad about myself, owning an 1M. It makes me cry, I always have tears of joy when I drive it.

Do you own a Boss 302?

At the end it a FORD!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #64
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy99 View Post
Funny review, specially at the end!

It looked great on that track, I really liked that.

The car is quite good per se, very good as matter of fact given the reviews I`ve read here, and its interesting how it sometimes outperforms other german competitors, like the Cayman R etc, , but it is something ironic, that it can`t really outperform a live axle car, with a kinda similar price tag, (one $7K cheaper thou):

Yes, you know who it is, Boss 302. (not even the laguna seca version)

Numbers wise, Boss is faster to 60, traps way higher, faster at the 1/4 mile, with a faster time and more avg grip at the Motor trend`s 8 figure.
Braking and skidpad grip is even.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

Where you can compare it against his big brother M3

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

Ford Boss 302 test.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...302_-road_test

You get that the 1M had more grip, even braking, thou acceleration wise, 1M had and has no chance against the boss.

For the same price of a 1M, there is the laguna seca version, which "dances with porsches" as road and track said here, and of course, makes the 1M look just a little kid. Laguna seca version is just a f***king monster.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/ca...02-laguna-seca

"The car’s neck-wrenching 1.02g on the skidpad and 74.0-mph romp through the slalom make the Boss 302 the best-handling production Mustang ever, but the most impressive thing about it was its durability—it lapped Laguna Seca for two straight days needing only a few fuel stops and tire changes. Most other production cars wouldn’t have lasted five laps. And oh yeah, it laid down a lap time of 1:39.5 sec., which should make Porsche 911 GT3 and Nissan GT-R drivers take notice."

So all in all, this was to have things in perspective of what money can buy today perfomance wise for around $40K to $50K.

I`ll say we are living in pretty good times

So everybody, enjoy your 1Ms.
The nice thing about the 1M is that the interior is not from K-mart and you can actually drive it to work everyday as well (even if you don't go to work wearing a wife-beater). If all you care about is track performance get a Caterham or Atom and be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #65
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Top Gear - [17x01] - 2011.06.26

-Richard is in South Africa to test a bigger, even more rugged alternative to the famous Hummer- the Marauder.
-Jeremy tests the new BMW 1M.
-James meets up with Olympic Skelton Gold Medal Winner, Amy Williams, and races her in the new Mini Rally Car with WRC Champion Kris Meeke.
-Jeremy celebrates the 50th Birthday of the Jaguar E-type by driving a modernized version, the Eagle Speedster.
-SIARPC: Alice Cooper

Top Gear - [17x01] - 2011.06.26
      06-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #66
Duck360198
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Laguna Seca Blue

SOOOO entertaining. The 1M is such a little monster. The car is capable of so much. awesome awesome awesome!!
Appreciate 0