BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #45
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I really doubt that a complete reflash is required to clear the codes. They're showing up to the diagnostics tools when they're first checked, and then don't show up after they're cleared, so I'd be pretty sure it's working.
he was unclear on how the code would be extinguished, but he said that the purpose of the new code was for it to be quite pervasive, and made a point of mentioning that aftermarket readers were not completely extinguishing it when it appears that they may have. take it for what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
I can say that the statement about the code providing "unquestionable physical contact" isn't entirely valid. The DME Manip code was found on my car and BMWNA sent out an engineer to search the car for a cause. So, at least in my case, the code wasn't enough.
i dont think he meant that the code unquestionably indicates aftermarket software... i think he meant that it's not a code that would likely be triggered by other normally occuring faults. this allows BMW to triage the types of claims they process, and earmark these as likely aftermarket cases. obviously subject to investigation... even if you admit that you have aftermarket software, they are still responsible for demonstrating that it's the root cause of a failure before refusing warranty/maintenance plan work.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #46
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
i dont think he meant that the code unquestionably indicates aftermarket software... i think he meant that it's not a code that would likely be triggered by other normally occuring faults. this allows BMW to triage the types of claims they process, and earmark these as likely aftermarket cases. obviously subject to investigation... even if you admit that you have aftermarket software, they are still responsible for demonstrating that it's the root cause of a failure before refusing warranty/maintenance plan work.
That makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #47
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Is there a specific code for the HPFP or do you just have to go by the symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #48
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Is there a specific code for the HPFP or do you just have to go by the symptoms?
Mine threw no codes up just the normal symptoms of long start up cranks getting longer..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #49
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

I just got out of work tonight started the car, got the long crank, then rough idling followed by a cel... drove it home and the car felt like a superhero that had lost its super powers... very sad... I am calling the dealer tomorrow and pulling the jb3 out early Saturday morning before bringing it in... is disconnecting the battery gonna show at the dealer and if so whats a good excuse I can give them?

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #50
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

that you thought that disconnecting the battery would eliminate the light and might reset the code/car as long as you don't have the manipulation code you should probably be okay
      02-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #51
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
that you thought that disconnecting the battery would eliminate the light and might reset the code/car as long as you don't have the manipulation code you should probably be okay
Thanks I will go with that...

Appreciate 0