Closed Thread

08-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #67
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
So SCOTT26,... and further info on the M1? Do you think it is still coming?

-Mahlzeit
Scott does not speak often but when he does, it rings true. Its been that way for a long time. He dosent think its coming, he knows its coming and says its still in the developmental stages.
      08-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #68
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

this thread needed a bump regardless
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #69
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

A naturally aspirated, lightened M1 with an LSD and a dual clutch, carbon fiber roof, some aluminum body panels, AC delete option, light forged wheels, true dual exhaust...

They'd have to cripple the engine like they did with the Cayman, because a car like that would totally marginalize the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 12:13 AM   #70
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
A naturally aspirated, lightened M1 with an LSD and a dual clutch, carbon fiber roof, some aluminum body panels, AC delete option, light forged wheels, true dual exhaust...

THATS a driver's car

the thought of that car makes me very very happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 12:28 AM   #71
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

Mark my rumor starting words......

the new M1 have a NA 3.5 liter straight six!

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 01:38 AM   #72
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

i didnt realize that was the original M1 engine you keep posting or that it was a 3.5l straight 6.. that would be awfully convenient from a design/marketing/heritage point of view. and would make some hard-core badge fanatics happier with the M1 moniker. would be starting to put a lot of pressure on the idea of a new M1 (just think if they did and lived up to it though; yes, even though the original was a flop). development costs of the engine in addition to already pricey upgrades from the 135 could put that price unreasonably high though. the 3.2 would probably be cheaper.. but that really would be neat if they put a 3.5. also there would be no point producing this car if it was going to be close to the cayman price range..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #73
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
i didnt realize that was the original M1 engine you keep posting or that it was a 3.5l straight 6.. that would be awfully convenient from a design/marketing/heritage point of view. and would make some hard-core badge fanatics happier with the M1 moniker. would be starting to put a lot of pressure on the idea of a new M1 (just think if they did and lived up to it though; yes, even though the original was a flop). development costs of the engine in addition to already pricey upgrades from the 135 could put that price unreasonably high though. the 3.2 would probably be cheaper.. but that really would be neat if they put a 3.5. also there would be no point producing this car if it was going to be close to the cayman price range..
I agree... a $50K+ 1-series has much stiffer competition and people just demand more in that range.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #74
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Will the timeframe for this car even coincide with the current E8X 1 series? Sure the E82 and E88 are brand new cars, but they share a platform with the E81 and E87 which are about to start their fourth model year I believe, and have already had their mid-life refresh. By the time the M1 is ready, BMW will likely be moving the 1 series to a new platform. Its possible that the E82 and E88 will live on maybe an extra year past the hatchback models, but will they really introduce an M1 at the very end of a model run? I doubt that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #75
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
Mark my rumor starting words......

the new M1 have a NA 3.5 liter straight six!
That's a beautiful motor, but it is physically gigantic. It will never fit in a 1 series, or any current BMW, while meeting crash standards (this is a big reason why BMW discontinued the "Senior Six" in the early 90s in favor of V8s).

Inline motors are senstive to bore increases. I think something like a more modern version of the 3.2L M3 CSL motor is more likely. That is, if all this M 1-series stuff really does come to pass.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #76
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

if they did put an NA 3.5l i dont think it would resemble hardly any part of the original M1 engine, except in ideal and displacement. if the M1 happens i would certainly bet the engine is based off the 3.2l S54.. but recreating that engine with an aluminum block and cast-iron sleeves would require enough reworking as is so might as well bump up displacement as well. as long as there's room.

i bet BMW could do a lot with that extra third of a liter, certainly enough to warrant "replacing" a twin-turbo 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Will the timeframe for this car even coincide with the current E8X 1 series? Sure the E82 and E88 are brand new cars, but they share a platform with the E81 and E87 which are about to start their fourth model year I believe, and have already had their mid-life refresh. By the time the M1 is ready, BMW will likely be moving the 1 series to a new platform. Its possible that the E82 and E88 will live on maybe an extra year past the hatchback models, but will they really introduce an M1 at the very end of a model run? I doubt that.
this is my main doubt. but hasn't bmw done things of this nature in the past?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #77
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

The boys at BMW must be dying to slap an LSD into the 1 coupe.
      08-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #78
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ding ding ding! Prizewinner here!

This is the most sensible statement I've seen on this subject! If there's to be an M1, won't it be second generation? So all the debate is sort of moot for now, n'est ce pas?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #79
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'm not sure we are debating which platform the M1 will be built on.

I think we're debating if there will be an M1......considering that the 135i is such a great car. (on paper...haven't driven it yet. :frown: )
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 08:18 PM   #80
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:

I think we're debating if there will be an M1......considering that the 135i is such a great car. (on paper...haven't driven it yet. :frown: )
Very well put Sweep!!
      08-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #81
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Huh?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #82
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Right, but I haven't heard anyone say there will never, ever be an M1. Much of the debate taking place is citing facts that are true about the current 135i and E8X plaform.

No one knows what will happen for the next generation. One example - BMW could be building a 300hp naturally aspirated I6 by then. They could then discontinue use of the N54 in the 1 series, openning up a spot for a new 350+hp naturally aspirated inline 6 powered M1. Or, since BMW has hinted that turbocharging is not out of the question for M in the future, they could build a righ revving turbo I6 for an M1. Not that M is all about the motor but that is a driving force in the brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #83
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

[quote=mkoesel;16421]Right, but I haven't heard anyone say there will never, ever be an M1.

You must not be reading correctly then. More people believe there wont be one AT ALL than that believe they will build one.
      09-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #84
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
You must not be reading correctly then. More people believe there wont be one AT ALL than that believe they will build one.
werd

The 135i will be such a potent vehicle, I don't think BMW can really improve apon it without scraping more sales from the 335i and M3...

Plus, if there is a M version of the 1-series, it won't be called M1, since BMW has already used the M1 name on a previous supercar... Maybe M2, but never M1...

With the 135i coming with the M-sports bits as part of the standard equipment package, it's pretty much already the M-version of the 1-series..

If you want the M car, get the 135i, and if not, get the 128i...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #85
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Exactly. BMW has been pretty candid in saying that they won't build one... I don't know where everyone keeps getting this notion that they will. I did hear that Roundel mag said they would build one with the I6 from the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:03 AM   #86
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

READ THE FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD!!!!!! Look at the dates he wrote this.

Why does it really matter if your eating into sales of another car. I think they are more interested in covering every market. As long as their not losing money. You guys sound like the same people that said the N54 will never be in the 1coupe. We do not know how much the N54 could take. BMW does not need to worry about me. I will buy a 135i, and then I will upgrade to an M1. "Scott26" is NOT wrong. I've already put my reasoning behind them not doing it behind. It was not easy. I'm just glad they are up to the challenge.

BMW M Boss even says it would be the perfect platform. Let us not forget, BMW denied the Z4M right up until the very end.
      09-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #87
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am taking everything in context. There is an implied context based on the thread and even the forum we are in. Look at the next post after yours:

"The 135i will be such a potent vehicle, I don't think BMW can really improve apon it without scraping more sales from the 335i and M3..."

Maybe we should ask Green Monster to qualify? Sure sounds like he is beign specific to this generation to me.

Green Monster are you saying that BMW will _NEVER_ build an M1?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #88
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

It's pretty safe to say that they won't build an M1 tomorrow, but it's equally unsafe to say that they never will build one. I wouldn't be surprised to see an M1 in a couple of years despite arguments to the contrary based upon the age of the E8x platform and the belief that there can never be another M1.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread