BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #45
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
LOL, I love all the newbs who have no experience in hooking up gauges (or other general maintenance) come out with all the "you cant" and he obviously in fact, "did". Everyone thinks they are a pro for driving the car, yet nobody actually works on them... Go read and learn before your fingers make you look more retarded people.

Great choice OP... I have this setup in my SRT-4: Defis "Blue Racer series... I was the first to get them into the SRT back then, right off the shipment from Japan. No step motor needed for these gauges either, which I love. What the video doesnt show due to shitty camera is the acurate start/shutdown sequence where it flashes quickly then goes to full lit, or black face for shut down. Camera just couldn't capture it.

Last edited by Daniel135i; 08-06-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #46
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
you can get boost by tapping into the intake manifold but other than that there are no boost lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
From someone who knows a thing or 2 about boost gauges on the n55 having installed a few dozen...

His mechanic did the right thing by tapping the manifold, that is the only way on n55.

For those asking why it is sitting at zero... I am guess you mean why is there no vacuum like on the n54.... You will not see manifold vacuum while idling with the n55 because of valvtronic... an n54 reads -17 to -19 inHg while idling, an n55 reads no vaccum because the throttle is wide open, therefore no restriction to create the vacuum.

The OEM sensor on the manifold can be read via canbus for actual boost values (like we do for the p3cars.com gauge), but if you run a piggyback tune (procede, jb3/jb4) this is no longer true boost, as the piggy will make the ecu see stock boost even though it will be higher.

Congrats on the install!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel135i View Post
LOL, I love all the newbs who have no experience in hooking up gauges (or other general maintenance) come out with all the "you cant" and he obviously in fact, "did". Everyone thinks they are a pro for driving the car, yet nobody actually works on them... Go read and learn before your fingers make you look more retarded people.
Some just don't read as well as others...
      08-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #47
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEUFELHUNDE View Post
If your so curious, again, YOU WOULD HAVE READ MY FIRST POST, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you knew how to analyze and read, you would notice that I didn't quote you, nor was I asking you what you did...
      08-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #48
morscode
Got Boost?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 x3 m40i

Hey TEUFELHUNDE, is your car turbo? I have a 128, no turbos. Can I add this too????? I want a boost gauge....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #49
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mor View Post
Hey TEUFELHUNDE, is your car turbo? I have a 128, no turbos. Can I add this too????? I want a boost gauge....

Short answer, no.

Cynical answer, you need education in a bad way if your serious numb nuts.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #50
|2ed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
READ MY FIRST POST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad0260 :
Excuse me!!!

you mentioned this is your 1st post ---> 'buit they thought they had to tap into the intake manifold thank god they didnt have to because they couldnt find the boost line...finally they did with a diagram they got from this former bmw mechanic. Well here's the pics....'

So they did not tap into the intake manifold right?? and what diagram??

if you have it, just share!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #51
christopherkriens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Coupé

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [8.62]
You should get another pair of gauges to put in front of these new ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #52
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
For those asking why it is sitting at zero... I am guess you mean why is there no vacuum like on the n54.... You will not see manifold vacuum while idling with the n55 because of valvtronic... an n54 reads -17 to -19 inHg while idling, an n55 reads no vaccum because the throttle is wide open, therefore no restriction to create the vacuum.

The OEM sensor on the manifold can be read via canbus for actual boost values (like we do for the p3cars.com gauge), but if you run a piggyback tune (procede, jb3/jb4) this is no longer true boost, as the piggy will make the ecu see stock boost even though it will be higher.

Congrats on the install!
Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Let me preface the rest by saying i'm only trying to be constructive and help you out. With that said..

Quote:
Finding gauges that would work for my n55 was almost impossible. I ordered 3 gauges with the ash tray pod. The ash tray pod just to get to the firewall, my mechanic said it would take about 4 hours, before even installing the gauges. So I had to return them, because those gauges were not even compatible with my car. I ordered the ati pod since its closer to the firewall, then I got the defi's awesome gauges guys, buit they thought they had to tap into the intake manifold thank god they didnt have to because they couldnt find the boost line...finally they did with a diagram they got from this former bmw mechanic. Well here's the pics....
I read the bold part as "they thought that they would had to tap the intake manifold because they couldn't find the boost line, but thank god they didn't. Finally they did find a boost line using a diagram they got from a former BMW mechanic"

This seems to be why some think you did not tap the manifold. If you clarified it in another post in this thread, then my apologies, but I'm just pointing this out to hopefully help you understand why some people were confused.
So, please don't yell at people for misreading you're posts when they are not typed very well as it can unintentionally make you out to look like the internet "ganster" as you mentioned.

I'll be honest, your posts aren't much worse than mine, so I don't have a lot of room to talk. We just have to remember to try and not get upset when people misread them.

Also, remember that people in general are lazy and won't read past the first few posts unless they find it really interesting, so if you posted the correction/clarification later, it was and will continue to be most likely missed by a good number of readers.

Quote:
Maybe if you people read you would know what I did, I brought to a electrical and suspension only mechanic. He also worked for BMW. The n55's do not have a visible boost line gauge. He tapped into my intake manifold. Also......the reason why its right at 0 when Im idling is because exactly its ideling there is no boost what a MORON you are. Once psi picks up hence when I STEP ON THE GAS. EVerything opens up I peak right at about 15 psi. Volt why volt because the other gauges need certain kind of adapters. Since our n55's are so new I couldnt find the certain kind of adapters needed. Everyone on this freakin forum always has wise remarks and you should have done this and that meanwhile, where the hell are your gauges...right you have ZERO pal. IF you think you can have a better set-up send pics if your the electrical goo-ru. Until then keep walking and guess where your boost is. Im the one who spent 800 all said and done not you. Im tired of the plastic lap top gangsters on here.

As for your boost comment. We are not morons (not always at least lol).
We are just uneducated on how the n55 works at idle. In my opinion your response shows even more ignorance, granted it may not to others.

Just to clarify for you, most other cars have a vacuum reading when idling. For instance, my Turbo RSX read 20 inHG to 30 inHG during a cold idle, and settled at around 15 inHG when warm. Also, just to note, my RSX was/is not the only turbocharged vehicle with a boost gauge to which I have been exposed. Thus why we asked why yours did not have a vacuum reading.

I'd also recommend against the personal attacks and name calling as it will only mislead, or for some posters, help show their true character to the readers. I am not saying this is your true nature as I do not know you, I am just trying to inform you how it comes across to others. I'm sure you were just frustrated as there are some very blunt comments in the thread.

Quote:
I dont care what you like to be honest, just posted pics for the crowd. It only matters what I like and want. Lets all get out of 6th gear and get back in neutral and remember that ! I dont own a 135i to satisfy you !
Again, as I said before, to each their own. If you like the setup, then that is what matters. I simply posted my opinion as that's what people do when you show them things, especially on forums. This is unfortunately something we all just have to accept at this point.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #53
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Lemans

does anybody know if any vendor sells a tap adaptor for the n55 to tap into the mainfold switch??
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #54
tehron
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT

looks good man.

any info on how to DIY? anyone??
      08-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #55
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
This thread was gold, OP so angry!!

What I did was run a boost line from one of the meth bungs in my ER charge pipe to my P3 gauge. Works well, but like others have said it doesn't show vacuum just boost.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #56
Tee-Jay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Silver 135i DCT [E82]

If someone hasnt said it already N55 has no manifold vac as there is no throttle body. Throttle is by valvetronic system which controls throtyle by increasing and decreasing valve lift. This is not the case on N54. The guage install depicted behaves exactly as would be expected for N55
Appreciate 0