BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
danielberman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport 6mt

E88 Replace MULF with ski bag option

Hey everyone,

Pretty sure the MULF unit on my 2010 135i has gone bad so I need to order a replacement. Tried to get at the unit yesterday to see whether I need to order a MULF, MULF 2, or MULF 2 high basis but the ski bag wall/frame obscured half of the unit. I've attached some photos. How would I go about accessing my mulf unit? Does anyone know how to remove this divider?

Also, is there any way of knowing which MULF unit I have by the vin?

View post on imgur.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

MULF

At first glance of your above thread topic, I thought you had misspelled the word "MULF"

Hehe!

Last edited by ..Rush..; 06-20-2021 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Edit
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #3
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

I can ask my BMW Tech tomorrow for you after I get off work. I had to replace the complete module over the battery because it was casuing crazy amount of issues on my car so they are familiar with these pieces.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I might have an extra one

I think you remove the bracket and assemble from the under side with the comm control unit
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
danielberman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
I can ask my BMW Tech tomorrow for you after I get off work. I had to replace the complete module over the battery because it was casuing crazy amount of issues on my car so they are familiar with these pieces.
That would be great! Let me know what he says
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #6
danielberman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did you hear back from your BMW tech?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielberman View Post
Did you hear back from your BMW tech?
Hey sorry for the late reply. The notification didnt show up til right now. Ill be sure to ask him tomorrow bc i have to get my car towed to the shop tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
danielberman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hey sorry for the late reply. The notification didnt show up til right now. Ill be sure to ask him tomorrow bc i have to get my car towed to the shop tomorrow.
No worries. My Indy shop actually checked it out, you’ve gotta remove the rear seats. Now I’m wondering if there’s a way to just bypass MULF? Because the speakers still work and all
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
barritt
Rep
Drives: 135i

You don't need to remove the rear seats. Take out the two 10mm nuts, lift up the cradle on the left where the bolts are to get clearance and then slide it out to the left.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
danielberman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barritt View Post
You don't need to remove the rear seats. Take out the two 10mm nuts, lift up the cradle on the left where the bolts are to get clearance and then slide it out to the left.
You can’t get to the back 10mm bolt, a wrench won’t fit in between the gap that’s between the bolt and the ski bag partition. Unless you’re referring to something else?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #11
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I don't remember the EXACT way to get to it all, BUT if you remove the four plastic pins (two on either side of the ski bag), open the ski bag compartment (not 100% sure this is needed, like I said, been a hot minute since I did this) you will loosen the rear panel enough for you to move it out of the way enough to get that last 10mm bolt.

I hope that helps.

Also: if you need a replacement MULF, I'll sell you mine for a fraction of the cost of a new one because it's just sitting on a shelf in my garage collecting dust as I converted mine to the COMBOX which doesn't need the MULF anymore.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:34 PM   #12
danielberman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I don't remember the EXACT way to get to it all, BUT if you remove the four plastic pins (two on either side of the ski bag), open the ski bag compartment (not 100% sure this is needed, like I said, been a hot minute since I did this) you will loosen the rear panel enough for you to move it out of the way enough to get that last 10mm bolt.

I hope that helps.

Also: if you need a replacement MULF, I'll sell you mine for a fraction of the cost of a new one because it's just sitting on a shelf in my garage collecting dust as I converted mine to the COMBOX which doesn't need the MULF anymore.
Thanks! I'll PM you
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #13
barritt
Rep
Drives: 135i

Sorry, didn't log in and see this was replied to. I used a combination wrench with a ratcheting box end for the one closest to the seats.

Literally just did this during a combox upgrade a few weeks ago on my E88 with with the ski bag option.

Unless you're talking about some other bolt. The one closest to the seats holding the cradle is the bolt in your last picture that has a nut on it. Those are the only two holding the cradle in.

If you haven't done it yet I can see if I can get a picture/video explaining it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #14
danielberman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barritt View Post
Sorry, didn't log in and see this was replied to. I used a combination wrench with a ratcheting box end for the one closest to the seats.

Literally just did this during a combox upgrade a few weeks ago on my E88 with with the ski bag option.

Unless you're talking about some other bolt. The one closest to the seats holding the cradle is the bolt in your last picture that has a nut on it. Those are the only two holding the cradle in.

If you haven't done it yet I can see if I can get a picture/video explaining it.
Where did you get your Combox?
Appreciate 0