BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #1
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Cool UberWagon's 1M Clubsport Build aka The BlackKnight Returns!

Happy to reintroduce you the car formerly known as 'The BlackKnight'! For those that remember, this was a pretty over the top SEMA build put together by CP-E and RevoZport back in 2011. I've followed the car for a while now, and jumped when I had a chance to make it my own!

This will be my second 1M, and I am really excited to be back in the platform. The goal for this car will be what is often referred to as a 'Clubsport' build: A fun track day/fun car with modifications to improve performance and safety on the track without compromising street drivability.

The best part is the original builders did a great job giving me a solid foundation to work with, so I look forward to restoring/updating their work as well as adding my own touches along the way.

Frankly, as I learn more about the car I realize just how under represented the quality of the original build was. So I might spend some time highlighting the work of the original team as well. With that in mind, big shout out to previous owners Ohcrap and andyhurz20 as well as builder dmitriyo for spending the time to give me all the history on the car and answering all my questions. Evidence yet again of how great the community is around here!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Tornado1M1209.00
mtl8851.00
jcrane82111.00
Afam28298.00
      01-12-2021, 11:27 PM   #2
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is the car as it currently stands. Have a bunch of carbon repair in front of me as well as the usual N54 maintenance items to start.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      01-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Sweet!

I really need a more supportive seat and roll cage . . . but I am not ready to change the appearance of the interior yet. I still enjoy its original look even though it is mainly a track car now.

Honestly, the only mod I have done that diminishes its street driver comfort (we have pretty smooth roads here) was the motor mounts, but they were necessary. My mounts had worn to the point where there was enough engine movement to crack my ER chargepipe at the throttle body connection. It is the only piece that connects the engine to the chassis that isn't flexible, and acted like a lever. Thankfully it was weak enough to break and not damage the throttle body or plastic manifiold!

AD Engineering Motor mounts are longitudinally positioned and are stout. The engine is secure. I raised my idle to 900 rpm because the vibration was intolerable at 650. At 900, it just lets you know its there. LOL
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

CarJunkie thanks for the heads up on the motor mounts. I had a similar issue with an E46 M3 I built, but raising the idle RPM solved most of the issues.

I am thinking about recovering the Sparcos to look like the club sport Recaro euro option seats from the M4 GTS, but with stitching to match the 1M interior. Need to address the more important parts first though!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberWagon View Post
CarJunkie thanks for the heads up on the motor mounts. I had a similar issue with an E46 M3 I built, but raising the idle RPM solved most of the issues.

I am thinking about recovering the Sparcos to look like the club sport Recaro euro option seats from the M4 GTS, but with stitching to match the 1M interior. Need to address the more important parts first though!
That would be awesome!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wheels and Tires

First order of business is getting some proper track shoes on the car. I had great luck with a square 18x10 set up on my last car so decided to stick with that template again. The advantage being able to rotate tires to stretch out their life a bit longer.

The timing was good with Bimmerworld having their holiday promotion, so picked up a set of forged TA16s in 18x10 et 25 with RE71Rs in 275/35-18 to go with them. Tons of brake clearance, and they look the part for sure. (I even had some old 'm' stickers for that OEMish look.) Needed a 5mm spacer on the fronts to clear the Motons, but otherwise nothing too crazy.

P.S. If anyone is looking for a sweet staggered setup, I have my old Forgeline setup for sale here!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Carbon Repair

So one of the big issues on the car currently is a few of the carbon parts have taken a beating over the years. The hood has some cracks in it from a previous owner leaving the hood pins undone at one point, the front splitter is pretty beat up, and the rear diffuser could use some love. (On the plus side, the carbon roof is still perfect!)

The hood is off to my buddy's shop (303 Composites), but I tackled the diffuser myself. Repaired the cracked strake and the corner that has been burnt from exposure to exhaust heat. A little heatshield material to protect it and we are good to go!

Before and After:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      01-14-2021, 10:13 PM   #8
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Sweet!

I really need a more supportive seat and roll cage . . . but I am not ready to change the appearance of the interior yet. I still enjoy its original look even though it is mainly a track car now.

Honestly, the only mod I have done that diminishes its street driver comfort (we have pretty smooth roads here) was the motor mounts, but they were necessary. My mounts had worn to the point where there was enough engine movement to crack my ER chargepipe at the throttle body connection. It is the only piece that connects the engine to the chassis that isn't flexible, and acted like a lever. Thankfully it was weak enough to break and not damage the throttle body or plastic manifiold!

AD Engineering Motor mounts are longitudinally positioned and are stout. The engine is secure. I raised my idle to 900 rpm because the vibration was intolerable at 650. At 900, it just lets you know its there. LOL
I'm hoping dual 335is mounts will suffice, but those are definitely some pretty mounts. I'd just prefer to keep the idle stock. I'm also going to try fitting the heat-shield with additional insulation on the backside.

mounts 22116793240 x2
shield 31146774592
screw 07146967731 x3

Last edited by PRTSB1M; 01-14-2021 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN1CORM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Sweet!

I'm hoping dual 335is mounts will suffice, but those are definitely some pretty mounts. I'd just prefer to keep the idle stock.
I am sure anything OEM will be better in terms of NVH, but they will also fatigue especially with heavy use. It may be something to monitor and replace more frequently.

Honestly, at 900 rpm it's pretty cool "It's Alive!" kind of feeling.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #10
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping dual 335is mounts will suffice, but those are definitely some pretty mounts. I'd just prefer to keep the idle stock. I'm also going to try fitting the heat-shield with additional insulation on the backside.

mounts 22116793240 x2
shield 31146774592
screw 07146967731 x3
Good to know about. Thanks for posting P/Ns!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:18 PM   #11
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Clutch Stop and CDV Delete

Next up is my favorite $10 mod. Was surprised to see this wasn't already done on this car to be honest! Also did the CDV Delete to keep the feel the same as my last car.

Old vs. New:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jcrane82111.00
      01-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #12
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Custom Element Mount!

Was waiting for a few parts to arrive so got a little crazy with a custom 3D printed mount for my Element Extinguisher. Easily 10# lighter than the old halon style extinguisher with steel mount set-up that was in the car.

Pretty impressive that something like this only took a few hours to design and have in my hand. (Plus bribing my friend with some beer to print it for me.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:29 PM   #13
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

More carbon repair....

Pulled the old splitter to do some repair work (the removable insert was cracked), as well as design some better ducting for my oil cooler. I have an idea for venting the M4 oil cooler that the previous owner installed, that should create a bit of a venture effect and really help pull some air over it.

Also, can't say I am super impressed with whomever decided to use 3mm button head screws to affix the splitter insert. Almost all of them were ground down which meant a day of grinding slots to remove them. Of course the last one broke so I had to drill and re-tap it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #14
jcrane82
Trust me....I'm an engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35i, lots of bikes

Quote:
Next up is my favorite $10 mod. Was surprised to see this wasn't already done on this car to be honest! Also did the CDV Delete to keep the feel the same as my last car.

Old vs. New:
Sorry to be ignorant on this subject....but is that a modified clutch pedal stop to reduce the overall throw of the clutch pedal?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #15
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
Sorry to be ignorant on this subject....but is that a modified clutch pedal stop to reduce the overall throw of the clutch pedal?
Yes. That's a BMS clutch stop I believe. Takes up the slack / "dead" space at the top, and on most cars you can run both rubber washers and still not have issues with dis-engaging the clutch fully. Makes it a bit nicer especially when paired with a CDV delete as the engagement point is near the initial release of the pedal.

I think I'm running 2 washers, had it at 1 for a while and there was still quite a lot of "dead travel".
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #16
jcrane82
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Yes. That's a BMS clutch stop I believe. Takes up the slack / "dead" space at the top, and on most cars you can run both rubber washers and still not have issues with dis-engaging the clutch fully. Makes it a bit nicer especially when paired with a CDV delete as the engagement point is near the initial release of the pedal.

I think I'm running 2 washers, had it at 1 for a while and there was still quite a lot of "dead travel".
Ahhh, thanks....I didn't know this existed for the E82. One my my previous cars (RX-8) actually had adjustable dead stops on both top and bottom. It was pretty cool. Looks like I will be hitting up my local hardware store later today.

Last edited by jcrane82; 01-18-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
asbrr542.00
      01-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post

Ahhh, thanks....I didn't know this existed for the E82. One my my previous cars (RX-8) actually had adjustable dead stops on both top and bottom. It was pretty cool. Looks like I will be hitting up my local hardware store later today.
Ah yes, I adjusted mine in the RX8 back in 2006. I put a block in the floor for the bottom of travel and then adjusted the top to maintain correct travel.

We just got another RX8 for my son to use for HPDE's and as soon as I clutched in, I realized I need to do it again. Haven't gotten around to it yet, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:49 PM   #18
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Carbon Repair Round II: Hood

A previous owner that we won't name to protect the guilty left the hood pins undone at some point and the hood had some cracks present in it from when it flew open on him. What is impressive with the RevoZport Hood is how well it was made. Almost all the damage was cosmetic and easy to repair (with some help from my buddy at 303 Composites). Before and After:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #19
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There are a couple carbon parts that still have the old wrap on them from its original show car days, so trying to decide now between cleaning everything up and painting the hood, rocker trim, and trunk to match (so a bit more subtle look than it is now), or wrapping everything and doing a color change. The cost is about the same since it is just a few parts I can remove myself. Don't worry, the carbon roof will stay front and center either way!

What do you all think?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #20
jcrane82
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are a couple carbon parts that still have the old wrap on them from its original show car days, so trying to decide now between cleaning everything up and painting the hood, rocker trim, and trunk to match (so a bit more subtle look than it is now), or wrapping everything and doing a color change. The cost is about the same since it is just a few parts I can remove myself. Don't worry, the carbon roof will stay front and center either way!

What do you all think?
I like carbon.....so if the part is real carbon fiber show it off. Don't paint it or wrap it. Let everyone know that your parts are carbon!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 11:28 PM   #21
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

M3 Cowl Assembly

So swapping in the windshield to engine bay cowl assembly from an E9x M3 used to be a popular mod for E82 and E90 guys back in the day, but has lost favor due to the increase in cost of these parts new (~$700!).

My car came to with a missing cowl and just the usual BMS filters in place which I think is too much of a compromise in terms of looks and functionality. So I jumped at the chance when I found a used set on the cheap! This gives great engine bay access and definitely looks more polished than a full cowl delete. To make it all work perfect and use OEM mounting points, I had to extend the wiring for the air quality sensor, install low profile/heated washer nozzles from a mini cooper, and a bit of clearancing around the brake lines.

I think next on the list in the engine bay cosmetics department will be replacement of the factory hard line for the brake booster, but she is starting to look the part now!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #22
UberWagon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

mounts 22116793240 x2
shield 31146774592
screw 07146967731 x3
UN1CORM I thought the common practice was just one of the x240 mounts and them standard on the other other side. Have you confirmed this fits with dual x240 mounts?
Appreciate 0