BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
Ericrc
Rep
Drives: Nissan Skyline R34 GTR

Can an out of state car pass California smog?

Hi, I'm currently trying to buy an out of state 1M, just wondering how big the chance is that it could pass California smog. This particular 1M had spent it's whole life in Virginia. Have you guys had this experience before? Did you guys pass the CA smog easily or did you have some work done to the car in order to pass it?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:21 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericrc View Post
Hi, I'm currently trying to buy an out of state 1M, just wondering how big the chance is that it could pass California smog. This particular 1M had spent it's whole life in Virginia. Have you guys had this experience before? Did you guys pass the CA smog easily or did you have some work done to the car in order to pass it?
Yes, if it has not been modified and in good working order it will pass. Make sure it has all the smog equipment, a lot of people changed the downpipes and some put different cats. Those might work but not a good idea to gamble. The Smog test in California for the 1M is a OBD test, not a sniffer test and they do an inspection looking at air intake etc. So if you are sure the car is 100% stock and running well with no engine codes, etc. It should pass. I would get a dealer PPE since they would be familiar with the stock stuff. One thing with 1M is most have multiple owners and current owner might not even know if something was swapped. My current ZHP came from Virginia and I believe it had a virginia smog tests. I'm not sure how thorough they are and they were every two years so something could still be be changed within that time but that's a good sign as well.

So bottom line you need a dealer PPI to make sure it is all in order and stock. If it is, it will pass. You will also need a DMV out of state inspection but you can do that with AAA and I recommend it. Much easier than DMV appointment. I have done several out of state to california purchases and the easiest was with AAA. Worth every penny of hte $60 membership.

Finally all north american (US and Canada) 1Ms have this decal:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #3
Ericrc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes, if it has not been modified and in good working order it will pass. Make sure it has all the smog equipment, a lot of people changed the downpipes and some put different cats. Those might work but not a good idea to gamble. The Smog test in California for the 1M is a OBD test, not a sniffer test and they do an inspection looking at air intake etc. So if you are sure the car is 100% stock and running well with no engine codes, etc. It should pass. I would get a dealer PPE since they would be familiar with the stock stuff. One thing with 1M is most have multiple owners and current owner might not even know if something was swapped. My current ZHP came from Virginia and I believe it had a virginia smog tests. I'm not sure how thorough they are and they were every two years so something could still be be changed within that time but that's a good sign as well.

So bottom line you need a dealer PPI to make sure it is all in order and stock. If it is, it will pass. You will also need a DMV out of state inspection but you can do that with AAA and I recommend it. Much easier than DMV appointment. I have done several out of state to california purchases and the easiest was with AAA. Worth every penny of hte $60 membership.

Thank you for the your elaboration, that give me a much clearer view on what's going on
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:03 AM   #4
Ericrc
Rep

Quote:

Just realized the car come with an N55 mid pipe which is the de-cat version of the stock one, does it lead to failure in smog check?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:43 AM   #5
S54ca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Just realized the car come with an N55 mid pipe which is the de-cat version of the stock one, does it lead to failure in smog check?
Technically, yes. Although, as the N55 midpipe looks 'stock', I'd be surprised if a SMOG technician catches it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 01:44 AM   #6
Ericrc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54ca View Post
Technically, yes. Although, as the N55 midpipe looks 'stock', I'd be surprised if a SMOG technician catches it.
But it doesn't affect the OBD readings right?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S54ca View Post
But it doesn't affect the OBD readings right?
It would not affect that. There are no oxygen sensors after the secondary cats, so the ECU does not know. It was only potentially fail a sniffer test.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
It would not affect that. There are no oxygen sensors after the secondary cats, so the ECU does not know. It was only potentially fail a sniffer test.
I concur, if there are no O2 sensors after the cat, it will most likely pass the baseline OBD test and basic inspection and if it passes the OBD, I doubt they will do a sniff test. The worst thing that can happen is you get a smog tester that volunteers for greenpeace and hears how much louder the car is and will know that can't be stock and he will crawl under and tell you there is hole in the ozone and you need to put the cat back in. : ) Just take that potential cost into your bargaining and I would make sure there are no tunes as well. I think most people that took cats out did some sort of tune as well and that can trigger an OBD test.

I think you will be OK, it's just good to weigh the potential costs when buying a car.

Let us know how it goes. I'm very intrigued if you will like the 1M. When I think of the ultimate in modern automated cars, I think of the GTR which it looks like you own. Cars like the GTR that are amazing but automated are the raison d'etre for the 1M which is kind of a direct reaction to that so I will be interested if you will like the 1M's quirks where I feel it takes more driving skill, especially with Traction control off, to drive fast than a car like the GTR. Please let us know on a different thread so we don't mess this one what attracts a GTR owner to a 1M. Hope to welcome you into the family soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

The visual part of the smog test is the real question mark and will depend on luck of the draw. I have had bad luck and had to swap my midpipe back to stock in order to pass visual.
CARB has also gained the ability to read ECU checksums and as a result some tunes will cause you to fail smog even though readiness indicators are all ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

Just recently had my every-other year smog check on the 1M. I had to take it a STAR certified testing facility as required by the registration card. I have Maddad midpipes and as above, they will not cause any problems with the OBD readiness check. The O2 sensors and the cat should show as passed. I do have an intake and charge pipe which I do put back to stock when I need to get smogged. No problems with the aftermarket I/C though.

I also have MHD software on the ECU as well. However, I have to flash it back to "stock" map. This allows all sensors to be checked for readiness. I still have to run the cycle to get everything ready, but it doesn't take long.
Appreciate 1
nachob2312.00
      04-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
Ericrc
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I concur, if there are no O2 sensors after the cat, it will most likely pass the baseline OBD test and basic inspection and if it passes the OBD, I doubt they will do a sniff test. The worst thing that can happen is you get a smog tester that volunteers for greenpeace and hears how much louder the car is and will know that can't be stock and he will crawl under and tell you there is hole in the ozone and you need to put the cat back in. : ) Just take that potential cost into your bargaining and I would make sure there are no tunes as well. I think most people that took cats out did some sort of tune as well and that can trigger an OBD test.

I think you will be OK, it's just good to weigh the potential costs when buying a car.

Let us know how it goes. I'm very intrigued if you will like the 1M. When I think of the ultimate in modern automated cars, I think of the GTR which it looks like you own. Cars like the GTR that are amazing but automated are the raison d'etre for the 1M which is kind of a direct reaction to that so I will be interested if you will like the 1M's quirks where I feel it takes more driving skill, especially with Traction control off, to drive fast than a car like the GTR. Please let us know on a different thread so we don't mess this one what attracts a GTR owner to a 1M. Hope to welcome you into the family soon!
Mine's an R34 with 6 speed currently stored in Canada awaiting to become 25 years old so that I could import it back to the US. In general I just like cars that don't have too many technologies in them. It feels like the computers are controlling the car instead of human.
Appreciate 1
ayao634.50