BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
Spark365
Private
Rep
Drives: Infiniti g35

Negative on battery melt down

WTH would cause that ? My car started to mess up today, in the same day the ABS, Brake light came on, car told me my tank was empty but was not, and my radio started to mess up. What can cause this ? Bad ground ? [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

That would be the positive terminal, but your question is valid. Looks like a loose connection of some sort, at least for a while - might have welded itself. Loose = only a little bit of contact = high resistance / heating / melting. Might have been as simple as not being tight. Right now it might still not be.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Spark365
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
That would be the positive terminal, but your question is valid. Looks like a loose connection of some sort, at least for a while - might have welded itself. Loose = only a little bit of contact = high resistance / heating / melting. Might have been as simple as not being tight. Right now it might still not be.
Quote:

Ok so now I've closed the trunk and power completely went out, so I cannot open it. Do you have any idea how to open it ? I can't find a way
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
Spark365
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark365 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ok so now I've closed the trunk and power completely went out, so I cannot open it. Do you have any idea how to open it ? I can't find a way
Thanks mate I finally got it ! It was exactly what you told ! Thanks a lot again !
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

LOL classic, I have done it too. So you got the trunk open? If not there are ways. Sounds like it though but just to be sure.

And it was a loose connection?

If yes and yes - great!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Spark365
Private
Rep

Quote:
LOL classic, I have done it too. So you got the trunk open? If not there are ways. Sounds like it though but just to be sure.

And it was a loose connection?

If yes and yes - great!
Actually got it open with a battery pack and the positive under the hood. Just had to clean the melted mess, make sure everything was tight and the car came back to life like nothing happened. Only thing I had to do was a window relearn because it wouldn't go the 1/4 inch down when I opened it. Now everything is fine!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Fwiw that battery pack thing only works when the negative is still connected to the battery.

If you unplug the pattern completely it will not work.

Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0